Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

  1. #1
    Expert Marksman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sammamish
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0

    Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    Fellow gunners,

    I am wondering if any of you have any experience with an AFL. Do you know of dealers in WA who have dealt with AFL before and what does the procedure typically look like?

    Thanks


  2. #2
    Expert Marksman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    N Lynnwood Wa
    Posts
    444
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1979
    Fellow gunners,

    I am wondering if any of you have any experience with an AFL. Do you know of dealers in WA who have dealt with AFL before and what does the procedure typically look like?

    Thanks
    Mmmmm Would these be ray guns and can I get one popcornz

    Just kidding unless they are ks ks ks

    If everthing is EXPLODING AROUND YOU ITS PROBABLY US

  3. #3
    Ranger gwaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,041
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    Which way do you mean? A foreigner entering the US for a competition shoot, or an immigrant?

    I had one, now you no longer need an Alien Firearms license if you are a Permanent Resident Alien, i.e. have a green card. You can go in and buy a firearm. You'll need your green card, proof of residency, such as phone bill for the last 3 months, WA drivers license etc. You'll likely be delayed on the background check by 24 hours or more.

    If it's the foreigner entering I'm not sure the procedure has changed - get fingerprinted, police records from country of residence, background check, pay fees and wait.

    No one issued me a raygun however - disappointing. CavVetaway


  4. #4
    Sniper .308Win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Posts
    5,159
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    Yep!
    Who told you that you need AFL?





  5. #5
    Ranger movingviolation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Tapps
    Posts
    1,411
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienreq.html
    and i believe i have seen this somewhere but cant remember where exactly, i think one of the requirements was that you must provide some sort of back ground check papers from your country of origin too, but that might be an old law or something

    the purchasing procedure shouldn't be any different than any other purchase i suppose

    “On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #6
    Ranger gwaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,041
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    For specific shops, I've purchased firearms through Cascade, Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bullseye and J&S in the South Puget Sound Region. It's a little uncommon, but the only paperwork differences are your country of citizenship, your Alien number (AA#), and the proof of residency that the FFL fills out. You tick box number 11 because you would be an immigrant alien - not a non-immigrant alien.

    Filled out some paperwork today at Cascade Arms Co in Olympia!

    Most FFL's know the requirements, you get the occasional junior salesperson who is unsure of what box to fill in where.


  7. #7
    Expert Marksman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sammamish
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    Quote Originally Posted by .308Win
    Yep!
    Who told you that you need AFL?
    One of things about being from Asia is the 5 year backlog for green card. So my option is to wait 5 years to get an GC or get an AFL. Also when I applied, there was no such requirement to get a background check from home country. Hopefully, I should get the license soon.


  8. #8
    Expert Marksman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sammamish
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    Quote Originally Posted by gwaugh
    For specific shops, I've purchased firearms through Cascade, Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bullseye and J&S in the South Puget Sound Region. It's a little uncommon, but the only paperwork differences are your country of citizenship, your Alien number (AA#), and the proof of residency that the FFL fills out. You tick box number 11 because you would be an immigrant alien - not a non-immigrant alien.

    Filled out some paperwork today at Cascade Arms Co in Olympia!

    Most FFL's know the requirements, you get the occasional junior salesperson who is unsure of what box to fill in where.
    Umm... I am a non-immi on the path to be an immi. The stupidly long backlog to get a GC is the kicker for me :( Only non-immis need an AFL now. Hence I was wondering if shops around here have experience filling out forms for folks with AFL.


  9. #9
    Ranger gwaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,041
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    I think the reg's have changed since I got mine a couple of years ago - I had to have a certified copy of my police record from New Zealand. It did take DOL a little while to work through it. There was provision if you couldn't get a certified history. I did enter my AFL number once, but it was on the State Form for a handgun purchase. I can't remember whether there is a home for it on the Federal Form or not - I think you'll find most FFL's will be able to figure it out if it gives them a sale. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!


  10. #10
    Sharp Shooter JoesGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sumas, WA, North American Continent, SOL III
    Posts
    540
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Re: Any experience with Alien Firearm License

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1979
    Quote Originally Posted by gwaugh
    For specific shops, I've purchased firearms through Cascade, Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bullseye and J&S in the South Puget Sound Region. It's a little uncommon, but the only paperwork differences are your country of citizenship, your Alien number (AA#), and the proof of residency that the FFL fills out. You tick box number 11 because you would be an immigrant alien - not a non-immigrant alien.

    Filled out some paperwork today at Cascade Arms Co in Olympia!

    Most FFL's know the requirements, you get the occasional junior salesperson who is unsure of what box to fill in where.
    Umm... I am a non-immi on the path to be an immi. The stupidly long backlog to get a GC is the kicker for me :( Only non-immis need an AFL now. Hence I was wondering if shops around here have experience filling out forms for folks with AFL.
    Are you trying to immigrate as a spouse to a US citizen or as a worker?

    If you have a CR-1 visa, it doubles as a green card.

    I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque or credit card?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •