Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackberries

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Blackberries

What kills blackberries without having the EPA breathing down my neck? When I lived in Montana, my neighbor had some stuff that was used by power companies back in the '60's, and I'm sure it has been banned for causing cancer, and insanity in small animals.

I've got them in the back 40 and also they want to keep coming back in a rockery wall. Every year I chop the hell out of them, put something on them that the Home Depot dorks say will work. They keep coming back.

Ideas?

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Re: Blackberries

Take the batteries out JB...................

Phony scandals...........Men ,dont come home in body bags.....
    Bucket list Harley Davidson..needed

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dusty
    Take the batteries out JB...................
    I knew someone would go there!

YTjoker

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

BIL worked at the monroe corrections facility, and they ......can't remember. I'll look at HD tomorrow to see if that triggers any braincells....

Feedback Score
    79 (100%)

Go to a co-op and get some Crossbow. I know a lil about this stuff, EPA wont give you any crap, unless you plan on dumping it in a creek or something. jestera

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Crossbow, that's it. ...................

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidoo
    Go to a co-op and get some Crossbow. I know a lil about this stuff, EPA wont give you any crap, unless you plan on dumping it in a creek or something. jestera
    By co-op, do you mean a feed and farm supply?

-Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    79 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidoo
    By co-op, do you mean a feed and farm supply?
    Yes, and 1/2 and 1/2 is illegal, so dont do that. Plus it wont work unless mixed with diesel and who can afford that. Just buy the crossbow, mix it at max rate on the label and spray them down. Crossbow only kills broadleaf weeds, so wont kill any grass, if you need to kill grass add some roundup. Be careful around desirable shrubs, it wont kill them if you get a lil on them, just the areas you actually get it on. Also if working around shrubs, be careful of drift coming off the sprayer, it can travel to plants and damage them.

Shooter
    Feedback Score

Goats are what you need.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

the problem with blackberry is it's EXTREMELY persistant, they spread and come back season after season. The reliable way I've found to control them is unfortunately NOT easy, or fast. I had 3 acres of overgrown blackberry, so I have a bit of experience with them:

1. Cut it down to the ground FIRST...and early in the season. I found a hedge trimmer works best. weedeater just wastes line on the thick ass vines. It's not required to cut first, but it makes it easier to make sure when you spray later that you're getting every sprouting vine covered.

2. Let it regrow until vines are a foot or so high and showing leaves

3. spray with a blackberry SPECIFIC weed killer, I've used Lilly Miller "Blackberry & brush killer" and Round Up "Wild Blackberry", both to good effect. I've heard good stuff about crossbow, but never used it. Triclopyr, triethylamine salt is the key ingredient. If you use a generic weed killer, blackberry will shrug it off like nothing.

Very important: spray it on the blackberry LEAVES when it's hot. it's not as effective to put it on the roots or vines, but when it's hot the leaves will suck it in and you'll see signs of death in a couple days. don't cut them until they are good and dead so the poison is sucked down into the roots.

4. while you're waiting for the sprayed vines to die, more will sprout up, so be prepared to spray a couple times.

5. This will knock about 90% of the vines down, but it'll take a couple seasons of periodically respraying or walking around with a hand tank sprayer and spot fucking any new vines you see sprouting before you'll be done for good.

6. forget what I said about "done for good"...

wear gloves...those fucking thorns are murder. Needle sharp and always break off under the skin, I'm typing with one under my middle fingernail right now hdwall