Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me Mountain Lions

Expert Shooter
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

School me Mountain Lions

I want to hunt mountain lions in the east side without dogs. I am a seasoned hunter who saw a lot of ML sign this year. I have a tag and am ready to hike the hills. Any "legitimate" advice will help. Calls, tactics, etc. Eastern WA mountains. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

Re: School me Mountain Lions

Guys I know who've called cougar (jackrabbit squall) always say it takes cougar MUCH longer to come in. Be prepared to stay an hour or better in one spot.
    Don't sit in a position where they can approach you from the rear, for obvious reasons.

Marksman
    Feedback Score

I heard a good way to hunt cougar is to ride a horse backwards. gergz

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I've heard some folks say that a digital game caller, like those made by FoxPro work well. Do you hunt with a buddy? What kind of hide do you use?

Shooter
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hit the hills at new snowfall, cut tracks and follow or set up to call. I wouldn't waste my time calling in an area void of fresh sign, these things may travel along way. I don't know what area your gonna be in, but it would be nice to know if those new giant coyotes could be called in to take a look at? Be the prey then the predator!

Expert Shooter
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wilkersk
    I've heard some folks say that a digital game caller, like those made by FoxPro work well. Do you hunt with a buddy? What kind of hide do you use?

+1 For a Digital caller, I've never used mine for Lions but Its dramatically increased my Coyote Kills.

Banned
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Go out jogging alone in the afternoon or evening. Find the most secluded place you can and thats where you jog. PRETEND to be unarmed. Cougars tend to attack from the rear, but if you are looking to the rear they wont approach, you have to glance back there with peripherals, pay no attention to your 6. Wear bright colored clothes and the most important thing is, DO NOT let anyone know where you are going or when you will be back. Cougars can also sense this, they only attack vulnerable prey, so just hinting at where you will be will make it extremely difficult to see any. Cougars will appear only when they know that noone will come looking for the carcass for the next 3-5 days. Good luck.

Expert Shooter
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks for the help (for the most part). I hunt with a buddy and use a hide at the base of a tree with boughs. What kind of game caller do recommend? What sound would you try?

Expert Marksman
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Check out the guy's calls and sounds on these pages. People who use them seem to have good things to say about them. Although the second link seems to say that he sold a bunch of stuff to another concern, his page lists calls and sounds for purchase. He is a local guy from Sequim, and I have no affiliation.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index ... l#msg42213

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index ... #msg933199

http://www.rain-shadow.com/cougar_calling_products.htm

Banned
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have tried regular calls and I have a flextone mimic type handheld call. I have so far been unsuccessful in both cougar and coyote hunting. I have not seen either. Maybe it's the places I hunt cause I hear from guys all the time telling me how easy predator hunting is. Wish I had more to offer, I would say that the best thing to do is spend more time in the woods, it increases the likelihood of seeing stuff. When you find something that works let me know.