Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rant, answering the phone while helping me

Ranger
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

rant, answering the phone while helping me

So I stand in line at a local tire super store waiting to be helped. I get to the counter and the guy says how can I help you. I say I need 4 tires for my truck, just then the phone rings, he answers it without saying hold on to me, he proceeds to take the call and help the person on the phone by looking up their question. I was shocked, wouldn't it be propper to put them on hold?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: rant, answering the phone while helping me

Standard rule, help the customer in front of you (who's paying you), not a potential customer on the phone.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Wenis
    Standard rule, help the customer in front of you (who's paying you), not a potential customer on the phone.
    they are already there wanting to hand over cash now you have to get the guy on the phone to do the same thing

"if this is the worst thing that happens to me today, i am doing alright"

www.waguns.org

Tactical Operator Freelancer1972's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 8Kidz
    So I stand in line at a local tire super store waiting to be helped. I get to the counter and the guy says how can I help you. I say I need 4 tires for my truck, just then the phone rings, he answers it without saying hold on to me, he proceeds to take the call and help the person on the phone by looking up their question. I was shocked, wouldn't it be propper to put them on hold?
    Yes, especially if there are 4 other fuckers walking around the store doing nothing...

A six year old’s perspective on why dogs lives such shortlives…“People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life—likeloving everybody all the time and being nice, right?...Well, dogs already knowhow to do that, so they don’t need to stay as long.” - Shane

Sharp Shooter
    Feedback Score

he should have answered the phone and politely but quickly asked them to hold then got back to you. first it shows he's interested in helping you first, as you're there in person and already willing to spend money. second it tells the person on the phone he'd like to help them, but can't at that second, so he'll be back shortly.

customer service isn't anywhere near as hard as some people make it seem to be.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I was TOLD to answer the phones instead of helping the customer in front of me by a Regional VP.
    So I told him, "ok sure. I can do that, and I will.....but WHY?"

According to him studies show that once the customer begins a transaction with an employee, they are not likely to leave.
    People will sit there and still shell out their cash, even if the employee gets up and leaves the room with out comment.

And as mashman said.....they got YOUR money, they wan the guy on the phone to give them HIS money.
    I can't believe people put up with it. It is a very sheeple behavior.

So, knowing that....when someone does it to me....I ask to talk to a manager. I complain that I was rudely ignored in their store and either they compensate me for my wasted time or I am taking my money and going some where else.
    It usually results in a 5-10% discount.

And as an employee, I used to say, "I'm sorry corporate policy says I have to answer this." and then I would ask the person to hold while I finish ringing up the customer in front of me.

Yes it is rude to answer the phone ANYTIME you are talking to another person.
    You are effectively saying, the phone is more important then the living person in front of you.

I am not a LEO, and I am not a Lawyer.
    If you don't like my opinion, then don't follow it.

Marksman
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

That is pretty rude.

Counter rant - I want to punch customers in the face when they come up to my counter whilst talking on the phone.

Patiently awaiting the zombie apocalypse...

zombiegristle

Yeah, I would always tell people "I'm required to answer this", with appropriate exasperation. They usually understand that people have to report to superiors and sometimes there are stupid policies to follow. Sounds like this guy (the clerk) just doesn't care.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quit whining. They are in business to make money. The caller represents money. You are already there. Give retailers a break.

You can stand there and poop your diaper while you wait.

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown
    Quit whining.

"They don't trust themselves with guns, so no one else should have them as well." - Urban X