Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovering Pup and Family.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Recovering Pup and Family.

Hey all..... I'm making this a whole new thread so that it doesn't get lost in all the pages of support and comments. My message box has been flooded by people curious about various details, and well wishers....to the point that I'm fairly lost in it. I apologize if I'm not able to answer every question, but I will go back through every individual note when things have calmed down and make sure that I answer every person.
    First off.......I want to say that the response to our plight, by SGN members has been overwhelmingly supportive. You guy's have come through for us like nobody else. I wish I could shake the hand of every person who's helped us in so many different way's.

Below are pictures of Polly....one before the attack, and three the day after.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... dog009.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 08DBCD.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 073648.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... BD61BD.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The disgusting grand total of injuries.
    17 puncture wounds
    2 lacerations requiring skin flap closure
    Unknown number of stitches (the vet told us he lost count)
    12 drainage tubes (4 each X 3 legs)
    1 torn A-hole (the pit really was trying to chew her a new one)

All in all...I believe she got very lucky, and her natural speed and boxer instinct to use her feet saved her life, at the cost of her legs getting somewhat shredded. She is up and walking around, and although a little woozy from the meds.........well, all in all she's a lot like a special needs child right now. The drainage tubes will be coming out in three more days, and the stitches are scheduled for 2 weeks from now. She is quite young at just under 2 years, and I'm really crossing my fingers that this trauma wont effect her behavior in the future. Every time I take her outside, she immediately heads for the gate where the shot took place. I'm not sure if she even knows why......just a sort of instinct to go to the last place there was danger maybe?

Sarah and I are doing well. This whole event has been overwhelming, and I'm afraid that the worst of the emotional effects on my wife are yet to come. Believe it or not, she has never owned a dog before. She has always been very wary of canines because of this, but after listening to me babble for years about how terrific they were.....she finally caved. It didn't take more than a week for her to fall in love with this dog, and they've been inseparable ever since. This really hit her hard, because at the time of the attack, she kicked, flailed, screamed, and punched......but wasn't able to be effective in defending "her baby". We have been talking about having a child for the last six months......and I truly hope she'll be able to get past this.

DONATIONS:
    At this point, I have directly received $600 from paypal. I'm told that there are other donations coming in by mail. You guy's HAVE made this happen. I don't know how we ever would have done this without you. From the bottom of our hearts......thank you.

You know what to do...it's not a question of knowing, it's a question of doing. Integrity doesn't come built in with the human chassis, it has to be learned and practiced, and if you aren't careful...it'll damn well erode.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Re: Recovering Pup and Family.

Holy cow . . . even though the bandages hide the actual wounds, those photos really tell a story.

I'm happy that Polly made it through okay, and you were able to get her the care she needs. Thanks for the update!

Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
    Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
    Life Member, Gun Owners of America
    Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Banned
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Recovery is always tough, but having strong support always help. Thank you for the update and my family wishes your family the best in getting better.

Did they ever find the owner of the other dog?

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)

Glad to hear everything has turned out good for you and the pup.

Have you heard from the pitbull's owner at all?

"When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice. Ted Nugent

Ranger
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Best of luck to you and your family in the recovery process. The pictures tell the whole story.

Gun control is when you can get your barrel back on the target quickly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

My wife says to keep the drainage tubes very clean. She works at a vet and sees many animals die from a secondary infection from people not keeping them clean. Good luck on the recovery!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma
    This is a good opportunity to answer a couple questions I'd forgotten about....
    Yes....the owner showed up in front of my house before the police even arrived. He was interviewed by the cops, and animal control at that time. I was told by animal control that he received a ticket at the time. I have spoken with him on two occasions to get the facts, and according to him.........he owns both pit bulls which were involved in the confrontation. They were both family dogs. The one which did all the damage actually belongs to his 8 yr old son. He has two young children, and is currently unemployed. From my perspective, he said all the right words, but I did not detect any real remorse on his part. He never approached the dog as it was dying on the street, or after wards. We are still considering the idea of a lawsuit, but I feel that it is too early to make that decision, and that we should wait a week until the emotional portion of this experience dies down a bit. It turns out that BOTH the Pits had been running around the neighborhood for the better part of a week, and had already been recovered by the owner from Animal Control 3 days prior to the attack. He apparently has no fence on his property, and her wife/girlfriend was simply letting the animals out ...and leaving them to roam. I'd blame the girl.......but since he'd already had to pick them up at the pound just a few days prior, he obviously was aware that it was happening.

Someone asked at an earlier point what the sex of the dogs was. Obviously enough my dog is female, but the attacking dog was a male. I know that is odd, because usually its same sex dogs who are violent with each other. I just don't know what caused that Pit to look at my dog as a threat.........maybe the full moon?

You know what to do...it's not a question of knowing, it's a question of doing. Integrity doesn't come built in with the human chassis, it has to be learned and practiced, and if you aren't careful...it'll damn well erode.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I haven't had the funds to justify target practice in quite some time. It's been very nearly 20 years since I've fired a shot "in anger"......and the emotional reaction from this event has made me look at my gun in a bit of disgust. I think it is probably for the best that I get back on that horse ASAP. I am going to make a trip down the Renton fish and game club at 3pm this afternoon. If anyone has the time, or inclination to join me, I would really appreciate the company! I will also be firing a .44 mag for the first time, so if anyone else is interested in trying that on for size.......or just making fun...lol.

Anyone interested in joining me.......please text 206-349-3097
    Jeremy.....or "Ki" (pronounced like pie) That's what my friends call me.

Banned
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyNseattle
    Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma
    This is a good opportunity to answer a couple questions I'd forgotten about....
    Yes....the owner showed up in front of my house before the police even arrived. He was interviewed by the cops, and animal control at that time. I was told by animal control that he received a ticket at the time. I have spoken with him on two occasions to get the facts, and according to him.........he owns both pit bulls which were involved in the confrontation. They were both family dogs. The one which did all the damage actually belongs to his 8 yr old son. He has two young children, and is currently unemployed. From my perspective, he said all the right words, but I did not detect any real remorse on his part. He never approached the dog as it was dying on the street, or after wards. We are still considering the idea of a lawsuit, but I feel that it is too early to make that decision, and that we should wait a week until the emotional portion of this experience dies down a bit. It turns out that BOTH the Pits had been running around the neighborhood for the better part of a week, and had already been recovered by the owner from Animal Control 3 days prior to the attack. He apparently has no fence on his property, and her wife/girlfriend was simply letting the animals out ...and leaving them to roam. I'd blame the girl.......but since he'd already had to pick them up at the pound just a few days prior, he obviously was aware that it was happening.

Someone asked at an earlier point what the sex of the dogs was. Obviously enough my dog is female, but the attacking dog was a male. I know that is odd, because usually its same sex dogs who are violent with each other. I just don't know what caused that Pit to look at my dog as a threat.........maybe the full moon?
    No need to get law suit happy. Small claims court should recover the vet bill for you. I think it cost up to $150 to file but you dont need to hire a lawyer and as long as the restitution is less than $5K you can recover all reasonable expenses.

Patrolman
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Well I'm not a lawyer, but I was in charge of the animal control department in Kitsap for awhile as well as an Officer for 5 years so if you need some advice on interpeting your codes there let me know. If I were you I would request a copy of all animal related complaints with the address where the dog lived. See if there was a pattern etc.

Jon

I had 46 or so positive feedbacks before the switch and 0 negatives.