Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Alright so the question is up for debate, I've heard pros and cons from boths sides of the arguement but I would like to get SGN memers' opinions.

buckshot.. it can over penatrate, is almost always lethal at close ranges, expensive

birdshot.. less chance of over penatration, not usually lethal on big targets, cheap, can also make 'cut shells'
    (def wouldnt want to see the medical bill, pulling out each little BB)

I am indifferent but trying to form an opinion. Experiences or stories are welcome as always. tiphatt

***NEW ADDITION***

So I've formed an opinion after reading everyones replies, VERY fun to read by the way! So thanks for all your time!

My conclusion, I will keep a 4rnd mag by my bedside with my SAIGA-12! 1st round will be Birdshot (intended as a 'warning' shot, if it kills him... he shouldnt have been there anyways)... but should he continue his malicious ways then the other 3rnds will be 00 BUCK... I know that'll put him in his place, just hoping it wont visit my neighbors too. I'm surrounded by houses on ALL sides. HAVE A GREAT DAY SGN! yessir
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

Re: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Bird shot is for birds. If I feel the need to shoot someone I'm not trying to injure them, I'm trying to put them down, and buck shot does a pretty good job of that. A box of buckshot really isn't that expensive.
    Julian: You're not prostituting yourself for cheeseburgers again, are ya, Randy?
    Randy: A man's gotta eat, Julian.

But do you want to risk hitting your nextdoor neighbor too? Thanks for the reply btw tiphatt
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

Jedi Knight

Buck can go through walls, and kill one of your family members while they are sleeping.

Some good old "goose loads" should work just fine on creepy crawlers. You can make sloppy joes out of the burger it makes.

That said, I use 00 Buck. Only one person in the house besides me, and I know where she is at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockonlock
    buckshot.. it can over penatrate, is almost always lethal at close ranges, expensive birdshot.. less chance of over penatration, not usually lethal on big targets,
    If the bad guy is hiding behind a typical home interior wall and you want to take down the wall to get him? Slugs.
    But I've cut off 3" alder saplings with a single round of 20ga. #6 shot at a range of about 15 feet.

Banned

I use heavy game loads.

Number 4 or 5, I think it's a good compromise between buck shot and target shot. Relatively inexpensive and seems to have less recoil, according to my wife, which makes it more comfortable for her to shoot. It also gives her the confidence that she wot be injured if she shoots it, because of the recoil.

Most home defense situations are at 10-15 feet. I tend to think that at that range, heavy bird shot will still stop someone dead in their tracks.

Every home is different. In our home we know that we can safely shoot north and south, and not east or west. Fortunately for us with the layout of our home that's a fairly simple concept to remember. If you don't feel like you can safely take a shot, then you don't take a shot...... Doesn't that go for any load in any firearm? Just got to think about it, and have a plan for your situation. If you're really concerned about it you could always go non lethal.
    Julian: You're not prostituting yourself for cheeseburgers again, are ya, Randy?
    Randy: A man's gotta eat, Julian.

I use #4 buckshot. It doesn't penetrate as much as 00 buckshot and more than birdshot.
    If guns kill people........ mine are defective.

Sharp Shooter

If you choose a shotgun +1 on #4 buck. Bird shot is pretty weak for HD to low penetration it dumps its energy to fast. That said I choose a 5.56 carbine for HD 3 x the power of 45acp less penetration then 9mm fmj pinpoint accuracy. cylonA10
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

Ranger

I use birdshot as the first load in the 870, followed by #4 buck, and 00... But the AR is the primary... :)
    "Attitude and purpose defeat the average man's concious mind at every turn." -tha dude