Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Ranger

Re: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillburt57
    00 Buck. Thread closed.
    Eyes closed, apparently.

This isn't a thread about 00 buck. It's a thread about birdshot.

You may as well have said "Snorkel. Thread closed." It's just as relevant.

Sharp Shooter

If someone broke into my house to do me and my family harm and I had to shoot that person to eliminate the threat to my family the last thing I would want is some disfigured half face zombie on the other side of the courts with his gangster buddies plotting there next move and his family saying my baby didn't do nuffin and a bunch of bleeding hearts making me out to be the bad guy Quoting Ted Nugent "I don't want repeat offenders I want dead ones" for this reason alone whatever I load in my weapon has to be as deadly as I can load in there.
    Your not done with self defense after the shooting stops your at the beginning.
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by loud noises
    If someone broke into my house to do me and my family harm and I had to shoot that person to eliminate the threat to my family the last thing I would want is some disfigured half face zombie on the other side of the courts with his gangster buddies plotting there next move and his family saying my baby didn't do nuffin and a bunch of bleeding hearts making me out to be the bad guy Quoting Ted Nugent "I don't want repeat offenders I want dead ones" for this reason alone whatever I load in my weapon has to be as deadly as I can load in there.
    Your not done with self defense after the shooting stops your at the beginning.
    Another person completely missing the point. The question isn't "what's the 'best' home defense load", it's "is birdshot a viable home defense load?"

Lynnwood, the land of tinfoil hats... Killing shit

zombiegristle

Quote Originally Posted by supergenius
    I like it. Cool option for SHTF, not sure if I'd want the jury to hear the words "modified shells" and "more lethal" at my trial though.

I guess we all will just wait for your tests. Two weeks good?

Until then we will just agree to disagree.

In closing last time I checked there weren't any major organs or arteries in your hips. Groin, thighs, and lower abdomen yes. My hips are bone
    I guess I can't trust something that can't even do the job at point blank with my life.
    In regards to people shooting themselves with a shotgun, obliviously they are doing it wrong....and blew off their jaw or something non-vital.
    Guide to Posting Photos on SGN- Thanks for the Gold
    http://seattleguns.net/showthread.ph...t-into-your-ad

Lynnwood, the land of tinfoil hats... Killing shit

Quote Originally Posted by Zwitter

In closing last time I checked there weren't any major organs or arteries in your hips, groin, thighs, and lower abdomen yes. My hips are bone
    I guess I can't trust something that can't even do the job at point blank with my life.
    In regards to people shooting themselves with a shotgun, obliviously they are doing it wrong....and blew off their jaw or something non-vital.

IF you severed the femoral (s) youd be fucked. THAT is for sure.

Wow! Really 6 pages to figure out if Birdshot is good for home defense? No major what in the hip? How about the fun parts of being human and internal bleeding in that area is massive... Bottom of the Aorta and Femoral artery - you can bleed out in minutes...

Man, some of you need to form a committee to talk about this issue.... just joking.

Birdshot is totally a viable option for home defense round. Its readily available, easy to shoot and you can actually use it for hunting.... birds.

At close enough distances it'll do massive damage (please keep in mind that at close close distances it's a tight pattern). At longer distances greater than 30-40 yards then it's basically bouncing off skin but scarying the pants off whomever you are shooting at...

But 6 pages?

For those arguing for 00 Buck - SLUGS! Hands down if you want to destroy whatever is behind that wall.
    Tentsile Affiliate
    www.Tentsile.com
    Use Code YOUNGKIM10 to get 10% off

zombiegristle

Quote Originally Posted by Zwitter

In closing last time I checked there weren't any major organs or arteries in your hips, groin, thighs, and lower abdomen yes. My hips are bone
    Who died and made you arbiter of everyone's home ballistic tests? He'll do it when he gets around to it. And to the other poster above, you blast out a chunk of aorta, you don't even have minutes - a good arterial bleed can write your ticket in under 30 seconds, and the drop in blood pressure will have you unconscious by the time you hit the ground. Arteries are serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by Afecks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillburt57
    00 Buck. Thread closed.
    Eyes closed, apparently.

This isn't a thread about 00 buck. It's a thread about birdshot.

You may as well have said "Snorkel. Thread closed." It's just as relevant.
    I've seen "damage" from bird shot on the human body, ever wonder why departments like Border Patrol, LEO's, Army, Feds and other units using a shotgun carry a Slug/Buck combo? Why risk being close to make your round effective and why wound when you can finish the situation. I'll reason with you, hand me a birdshot round tell me to use it and I will cut around the bottom of it and make it a slug because to me birdshot isn't an effective tool for the distances I'd like to be away from someone. Not to mention if you're put into an HD situation and you wake up grab your gun and have to defend yourself you're not going to be efficient enough to target your birdshot round effectively and hit a vital. Sure some guys say use it that's fine, but why have a "what if" round when you can have something built to stop someone...
    Amateurs discuss caliber, Professionals discuss tactics.