Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Re: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

zombiegristle
    And to the other poster above, you blast out a chunk of aorta, you don't even have minutes - a good arterial bleed can write your ticket in under 30 seconds, and the drop in blood pressure will have you unconscious by the time you hit the ground. Arteries are serious business.

Well, thanks - I work everyday in the Aorta and Femoral artery... everyday and as a previous army medic and army nurse, ER trauma nurse and now working in a cardiac cath lab... I guess you know...

You are correct if you severe the Aorta you'll be dead before you drop to the ground. tiphatt

Now back on topic: blkbirdz I tell folks to load up what you feel like will work for you. There is truly no wrong or right answer... But birdshot or 00 buck are both fine for home defense. Its not like the movies. If you don't aim and you miss... you missed - regardless if it's birdshot or 00 buck or especially slugs.
    Tentsile Affiliate
    www.Tentsile.com
    Use Code YOUNGKIM10 to get 10% off

zombiegristle

Uhh...that's cool? I wasn't trying to be snarky nor did I say you were an unqualified moron. Just adding information. Seems I was correct anyhow, so I'm not sure why you got defensive over it. I'm not anything fun like that, just keep my first aid/cpr training up to date. Don't have to be Dr. House to know that arterial bleeds are bad juju.

Just stating the obvious is well stating the obvious. Your comment was like... well if the head is severed (or aorta)... I think you'll die. No kidding. tiphatt

Remember to just do CPR - you'll eventually get a BP on that severed aorta... (not) stickpoke
    Tentsile Affiliate
    www.Tentsile.com
    Use Code YOUNGKIM10 to get 10% off

zombiegristle

Quote Originally Posted by oldkim
    Just stating the obvious is well stating the obvious. Your comment was like... well if the head is severed (or aorta)... I think you'll die. No kidding. tiphatt

Remember to just do CPR - you'll eventually get a BP on that severed aorta... (not) stickpoke
    Again...That's nice? Your words are below, from that post i couldn't tell that you knew anything about anything, so I clarified for the readers. If you're super-medic-man, more power to you - but don't be an ass because someone clarified your imprecise post.

Quote Originally Posted by oldkim
    Bottom of the Aorta and Femoral artery - you can bleed out in minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillburt57
    ever wonder why departments like Border Patrol, LEO's, Army, Feds and other units using a shotgun carry a Slug/Buck combo?
    Because they have large enough insurance / tort policy to cover the collateral damage that happens when over penetration happens?
    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign
    ever wonder why departments like Border Patrol, LEO's, Army, Feds and other units using a shotgun carry a Slug/Buck combo?
    Because they have large enough insurance / tort policy to cover the collateral damage that happens when over penetration happens?
    DING DING DING... we have a winner, not to mention the virtually unlimited taxpayer income they can pay out as settlements.

Marksman

Number 4 Buck (28 pellets).
    'Nuff Said.
    mgdrillsergeant
    "A Colt?? Hell, I might as well buy a Taurus" -Rob

Banned

Fruit Salad... (with cherries)
    'Nuff said
    tiphatt

I wouldn't trust bird shot to take someone down, unless you shot them point blank (3-5') range in the face. Hell, 00 Buck isn't even that great of a stopper in my opinion. I've shot deer with it in the vitals, and still had them run off a long long long ways before I found them (Winchester 3" mag 00 Buck (the copper coated stuff) to a deers head will drop them in their track though).

Putting a threat down is a big concern if they're trying to harm you or your loved ones. Maybe a handgun would be better suited for your home defense plan. Don't have to worry about a bunch of stray projectiles. With a good 9mm hollow point defense round, I wouldn't be too concerned with over penetrating.

The whole 00 Buck being "expensive" shouldn't really matter. The cost of $5 a box for 5 rounds seems cheap in comparison to protecting one's life. Especially if you'll only end up using it to protect yourself (which I wouldn't count on happening multiple times to the point that it hurts your wallet). I shoot the cheapo ammo at the range, but spend a little bit extra for good defensive ammo to keep in my guns when they're at home. Last thing I want is a gun not going boom, or failing to do it's job because I went with the bargain stuff.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    -Clint Eastwood, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Ranger

I've seen "damage" from bird shot on the human body, ever wonder why departments like Border Patrol, LEO's, Army, Feds and other units using a shotgun carry a Slug/Buck combo?
    You clearly didn't bother to read the thread before posting. You haven't said anything that hasn't already been said. This thread is NOT asking "what is an effective home defense load?" It's asking "can birdshot be an effective home defense load?"

Why risk being close to make your round effective and why wound when you can finish the situation.
    The stats on the average home defense distance speak for themselves. You're going to be close.

I'll reason with you, hand me a birdshot round tell me to use it and I will cut around the bottom of it and make it a slug because to me birdshot isn't an effective tool for the distances I'd like to be away from someone. Not to mention if you're put into an HD situation and you wake up grab your gun and have to defend yourself you're not going to be efficient enough to target your birdshot round effectively and hit a vital. Sure some guys say use it that's fine, but why have a "what if" round when you can have something built to stop someone...
    You have to aim no matter what load you put in the chamber.

It's a what if round, and this is a what if thread. Are you picking up on the correlation?? This isn't a thread about whether or not 00 buck is effective, or whether any kind of birdshot is better. It's a very simple discussion, really. The question is "can birdshot be effectively employed to defend one's home." The second you talk about any other load, you're off-topic.