Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Banned

Re: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

I gave up on correcting people Afecks. I'll let you know when I get everything coordinated.

Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr Shooter
    I gave up on correcting people Afecks. I'll let you know when I get everything coordinated.
    Yeah, I'm a little OCD about argumentation.

I look forward to hearing what you find out. I'm betting you're not going to see more than a couple inches of penetration, which wouldn't do the job in a defensive scenario. But I won't rule it out without information. If the tests show that some birdshot can be effective, I'd actually prefer that load to reduce the collateral risks.

zombiegristle

I also look forward to this test, and my offer to help in whatever capacity stands. I also think if it turns out to be workable, it might be a good choice in a HD shotgun in a home with smaller individuals who may have to use it (say, you go to work and your GF/wife stays home).

Sharp Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr Shooter
    I'll let you know when I get everything coordinated.

I can save you some time and money.... ;)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_...shotshells.htm

Birdshot repeatedly has been shown to be less effective in home defense because of insufficient soft tissue penetration, i.e., less than 12 inches in comparable masses such as gelatin or water equivalent.

http://www.guns.com/is-birdshot-even...e-defense.html

Conclusions

I’m neither a forensic pathologist nor a tactical expert so I’m hesitant to say definitively whether or not the tested loads are adequate for personal defense inside the home. The 00 buck load penetrated the deepest into the gel blocks, is tried and true, and has proven effective in a variety of real-world encounters. The Remington Express load seems like a less than adequate choice as penetration was minimal and could be further adversely effected by the presence of heavy clothing or other barriers.
    In terms of penetration and cavity diameter in the gel blocks, the BB, T, and F loads were all very similar and I would expect them to perform adequately against an assailant at an across the room distance of 15 feet or less. That being said, smaller pellets do shed velocity and energy faster than their larger counterparts, meaning they may be a poor choice for situations where longer range altercations are a possibility. As far as overpenetration is concerned, it is likely that all of the tested rounds, including the Remington Express load would be capable of penetrating interior walls and posing a danger to those on the other side.

http://shilohtv.com/?p=2490

Our research showed persons have been killed all over the world with Bird shot at close range, we opted not to post the information here since it is disturbing, but it does work . In the video we say use it if you must, but if you have your choice and have the ability to use something else do so. If you use bird-shot use the full power loads, and be ready for a follow up shot. Shot placement is going to be more critical.

zombiegristle

Stop trying to spoil the fun, he's gonna shoot stuff for himself. This is how the Box o' Truth got started, and now people use it as a reference source in threads like these.

Ugh, Afecks I never said you didn't have to aim I said chances are in an HD situation you won't have a coherent enough thought process to properly execute a decent arterial wound with bird shot. If I'm of topic for saying its almost a useless round for HD and there's better options so be it, you can try bird shot ill stick with 00/Slug combos. My home is very spread out and not in a cookie cutter neighborhood so collateral damage isn't my worry. Different strokes for different folks and clearly you and a couple others on here feel comfortable with birdshot and that's cool party on Garth!
    Amateurs discuss caliber, Professionals discuss tactics.

Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Phillburt57
    Ugh, Afecks I never said you didn't have to aim I said chances are in an HD situation you won't have a coherent enough thought process to properly execute a decent arterial wound with bird shot. If I'm of topic for saying its almost a useless round for HD and there's better options so be it, you can try bird shot ill stick with 00/Slug combos. My home is very spread out and not in a cookie cutter neighborhood so collateral damage isn't my worry. Different strokes for different folks and clearly you and a couple others on here feel comfortable with birdshot and that's cool party on Garth!
    You again demonstrate your failure to read the thread, as I've mentioned more than once that personally, I wouldn't go with birdshot in a HD shotgun, but rather #4 buck.

If you can't get an "arterial" hit with birdshot, what makes you think you can get an aterial or central nervous system hit with 00 buck? You're either aiming and hitting where you intended, or you aren't.

Are you English teacher? I stray off topic and you get all knotted up, I'm not going to read through all the text in this thread. I stated my opinion on birdshot, you didn't like it because it wasn't on topic with what your classroom is about. Go get some cognitive data so we can examine your findings and we can all go from there.
    Amateurs discuss caliber, Professionals discuss tactics.

Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Phillburt57
    Are you English teacher? I stray off topic and you get all knotted up, I'm not going to read through all the text in this thread. I stated my opinion on birdshot, you didn't like it because it wasn't on topic with what your classroom is about. Go get some cognitive data so we can examine your findings and we can all go from there.
    If you're not going to read the thread, you shouldn't post in it.

Sharp Shooter

Bird shot is better than a sharp stick but I've shot enough of it to know it is the wrong answer for me I want a much higher chance of ending it in one or two shots.
    In my mind even though the buck penetration is more chances are you will have less chance of needing a second or third shot then ask your self would you rather have less shots fired of a proven hard hitting deeper penetrating round or an uncertain chance needing a bunch of weak ones what is less risk?
    is it a viable choice for HD 1st rule of a gunfight is have a gun so yes.
    It might be all old granny can handle shooting and be her best choice.
    Is it the best choice for me? No way in hell.
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012