Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Re: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

From my own experience: 00 Buck goes through the external wall (from outside: siding-plywood-insulation-drywall-next wall's drywall...) like through the butter.
    Who's gonna monitor the monitors of the monitors?

Banned

for me it is 4 4 4 buck. its my choice after that

I use 00 buck right now but if I found a bulk deal (I've been looking) for #4 buck and it patterned nicely from my Mossberg 590, I'd use that instead. I would never use birdshot/target loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by molon.labe View Post
    you are so high speed.
    Upset about 594? Donate to the Second Amendment Foundation

In my 870 I have 2 rounds of Hevi-Shot T size followed by 00. . .. . . .patterning the T-shot @ 25', it tore the shit out of a 3'x3' half inch ply target.

There are just the woman, the dog and me in the house, so I am not worried about shooting into the next room. ... . . and if I feel the need to shoot, I will be well into the 00 by the time I stop. . . .. the heavy shot is just for a broader pattern to start.. . .. . . .
    I am peaceful man, and if trouble knocks on my door it gets two in the chest an one in the head . . .
    http://ThrivingHartNW.com

00 buck in mine, because that's what I have. I would think bird shot would just make someone mad. Would it hurt? Hell yes it would, but would it stop the threat?
    Guide to Posting Photos on SGN- Thanks for the Gold
    http://seattleguns.net/showthread.ph...t-into-your-ad

I took a couple of defensive courses back in the 80's and they recommended #4 buck. At in-house ranges, even birdshot is pretty much just a mass of lead, but #4 carries better without over penetrating. I have had #4 buck in my home defense shotguns ever since. Haven't had the chance to test the theory, but it makes sense to me.
    “The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”

In the auto....three number 4 shot loads, then three OO buck, then three more number 4's..
    The coach gun? Number 4's.
    In house range number 8 heavy game loads will do the job.
    usrifle

Banned

Found some cool info for everyone.
    ------------------------------------------------

At ranges of around 5-10 feet* the shot and wadding mass will produce a single large hole in a target. If the target happens to be a person, the wadding material will be blown into the wound tract with the pellets.

Close-range shotshell pellet entrance hole.

The close-range entrance (less than 5 feet*)hole seen above is almost square, and is a common shape for this range. You might notice a pinkish color (lead residue) to the material around the hole.

At distances greater than 5-10 feet* the shot mass starts to break up. Fliers (individual pellet holes) will start to appear around the edge of an entrance hole and the wadding may or may not enter the victim.

Individual pellets starting to break apart from the main mass of pellets. (OP's note, notice the ruler along the left side, it shows that the entrance hole is approximately 1-1.5" in diameter. Thats a BIG hole in someone.)

As the wadding slows down it will start to take a separate trajectory from that of the shot and can actually leave abrasions or bruises to the area around an entrance wound. Wadding will lose its energy and fall harmlessly to the ground at distances of around 20 feet*.

As the pellets get further and further away from the shotgun the pattern will eventually become dispersed to the point that only individual pellet holes are present in a target.

Witness panel fired into at a distance of 28 feet.

Firearm examiners will try to reproduce the pattern by firing into witness panels at known distances. Shot patterns can be affected by the load, pellet size, wad type, and choke of the shotgun. That is why it is essential that the shotgun is recovered and the type of shotshells used is known. Hopefully some shotshells will be recovered at the scene that can later be used in firing the distance standards. Also, patterns produced by a shotgun at any given distance can vary slightly. Multiple tests patterns will be fired at known distances and compared directly to the pattern in question. Based on this comparison a minimum and maximum firing distance can be determined.

Two overlapping shot patterns. A large dispersed
    pattern overlaps a small close-range shot pattern.

-------------------------------------------------

From my perspective and based on this info, I draw the conclusion that the shot size you use is not all that important, because the damage will be very similar. Remember, at 10ft. the wadding itself will become a projectile.

I read a ballistics report a long time ago arguing that #2 shot offered the optimum balance between number of projectiles and penetration. seems to make sense to me.
    Overkill always works

Sharp Shooter

Every single nationally known firearms instructor will tell you that birdshot is for the birds. There have been documented cases where birdshot failed to penetrate heavy clothing.

Overpenetration with ANY firearm is always a consideraton inside the home.

Use a tactical 00 buck. Most any other load including number 4 buck and birdshot patterns spread way too fast. Even at 10-15 feet.

Have a plan inside your home. If you break into my home, you must negotiate a hallway to get to the bedrooms. Where I will be waiting. My backstop is a rock fireplace.