Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Banned

Re: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Quote Originally Posted by bobk
    Every single nationally known firearms instructor will tell you that birdshot is for the birds. There have been documented cases where birdshot failed to penetrate heavy clothing.

Overpenetration with ANY firearm is always a consideraton inside the home.

Use a tactical 00 buck. Most any other load including number 4 buck and birdshot patterns spread way too fast. Even at 10-15 feet.

Have a plan inside your home. If you break into my home, you must negotiate a hallway to get to the bedrooms. Where I will be waiting. My backstop is a rock fireplace.
    First off, what are we all defining as "Bird Shot" are we talking #6, or #8, or what?

Second, I would like to see one of these documented cases. I find it hard to believe that a #4 shell won't penetrate "heavy" clothing at 10 feet.

Not arguing, I just don't believe it.

Sharp Shooter

In gelatin at 7 yards
    00 buck 13-15"
    #4. 9-11"
    #6. 5-6"
    Slugs 18-21"
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by loud noises
    In gelatin at 7 yards
    00 buck 13-15"
    #4. 9-11"
    #6. 5-6"
    Slugs 18-21"
    That's still twice the distance of an average home defense situation. Also, the 00 buck is goin that far at that distance meaning its gonna go quite a bit further after passing through a body, whereas #4 or #6 is gonna give you good penetration without going much further beyond.

zombiegristle

You can do a lazy Google and look at wound photos from people and large animals being hit with birdshot. It really doesn't have much lethality unless you're hoping they die from shock. It makes ugly, painful, grotesque wounds, but once it hits the ribcage it's pretty much out of oomph. Those penetration statistics may look good at first, but bear in mind that a BB gun can go 4-6 inches into properly calibrated gelatin as well.

Sharp Shooter

4-6" of penetration is not enough just ask your girl jk jestera
    10" is the standard for self defence rounds #4 is right in there anything less is substandard imho
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

zombiegristle

10" is the standard for self defence rounds #4 is right in there anything less is substandard imho
    No, twelve inches is the recommended minimum.

SGN Prince of Puyallup zombie66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombiegristle
    No, twelve inches is the recommended minimum.
    That what she said ks ks ks
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus211 View Post
    Jesus fuck. Orion I've stood up for you on many occasions, from nonsense 9mm bouncing off insurgents to downtown Seattle security guard "I am the law" rants. As respectfully as this can possibly be said, go shove a pineapple up your ass.

zombiegristle

Quote Originally Posted by zombie66
    A 12" minimum? Dude, you've got to stop molesting horses.

Banned

I am gonna do my own test. I'll figure it out and post the results. That "Lazy google search" showed a LOT of pics, many of them appeared pretty brutal and only a few specified the actual shot used. I could tell that a lot of the fatal wounds were in fact from birdshot. I just refuse to believe that at 10ft there is a significant difference between #4 and 00 buck. As I said, I'll post the results.

Personally, I wanna neutralize the target, not neutralize the target and put a hole through my wall, and the neighbors wall, and through the TV. I think that buckshot and slugs are just overkill.

This is not a threat to anyone, but for those of you who claim that birdshot is so ineffective as a home defense round, would you stand in front of someone shooting bird shot? Your claim that it won't penetrate clothing and will simply "piss off" the intruder is not really a good argument, because if it so ineffective at stopping someone, then any one of you making that claim should have no problem putting yourself out there and proving it.

The above statement is not a threat, it is a scenario. Do not actually have someone shoot you with birdshot, you will be severely injured and you will die.

In addition, I want to state that this is not an argument, it's a discussion. These things escalate fast on here, so keep it civil as I am. Thanks.

SGN Prince of Puyallup zombie66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombiegristle
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie66
    A 12" minimum? Dude, you've got to stop molesting horses.
    I just molested my wife and Im gonna tell her that
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus211 View Post
    Jesus fuck. Orion I've stood up for you on many occasions, from nonsense 9mm bouncing off insurgents to downtown Seattle security guard "I am the law" rants. As respectfully as this can possibly be said, go shove a pineapple up your ass.