Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

zombiegristle

Re: BIRDSHOT for Home Defense?...

Steyr, the big difference is momentum of the payload. Larger, heavier projectiles retain their energy better when they encounter resistance. The same mechanic that makes heavy slugs better for hunting is what makes buckshot better for penetrating a hypothetical bad guy.

I don't claim it won't penetrate a jacket, though - that's silly, and some people say the same thing about .30 Cabrine, .45 ACP, and 9x19mm. It doesn't fare well against armor, though - but Kevlar is pretty good at stopping just about anything you can fire from a shotgun.

Banned

I am not claiming bird shot is better, what I am claiming is that bird shot is also an effective load for home defense. I know buckshot will do the trick, but birdshot will also do the trick. Will buckshot have more mass and penetration, yes, but birdshot will still have enough penetration even through a jacket to be effective as well. That is all I am saying. Either one will suffice. I prefer birdshot. Some prefer buckshot, I don't think it makes a whole lotta difference.

zombiegristle

I just don't trust birdshot. I guess it boils down to something similar to being comfortable CCW-ing a .32 ACP, vs. only calibers that start with a "4".

Banned

Oh please, pretty please can we discuss, "9mm vs .45"

The one thing that I am pretty sure all of us will agree on is, "it's better to have ANY type of home defense weapon, than it is to NOT have one."

SGN Prince of Puyallup zombie66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr Shooter
    Oh please, pretty please can we discuss, "9mm vs .45"

The one thing that I am pretty sure all of us will agree on is, "it's better to have ANY type of home defense weapon, than it is to NOT have one."
    popcornz
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus211 View Post
    Jesus fuck. Orion I've stood up for you on many occasions, from nonsense 9mm bouncing off insurgents to downtown Seattle security guard "I am the law" rants. As respectfully as this can possibly be said, go shove a pineapple up your ass.

zombiegristle

Which remains a staunch argument in favor of wiffle bats.

(I'm being silly here)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zombiegristle
    Which remains a staunch argument in favor of wiffle bats.

(I'm being silly here)
    Yeah, whiffle bats is silly... But, on a serious note.

Louisville slugger or a new fangled aluminum bat?

zombiegristle

Louie Slugger every time. Nothing more satisfying than the crunch of wood on bone.

SGN Prince of Puyallup zombie66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombiegristle
    Louie Slugger every time. Nothing more satisfying than the crunch of wood on bone.
    I got a shovel BRING IT
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus211 View Post
    Jesus fuck. Orion I've stood up for you on many occasions, from nonsense 9mm bouncing off insurgents to downtown Seattle security guard "I am the law" rants. As respectfully as this can possibly be said, go shove a pineapple up your ass.

zombiegristle

Yeah? Well, shovels can't be used to repair hunting rifles.