Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pink Slime

Re: Pink Slime

Quote Originally Posted by zombie66
    Ok so here I am watching FOX news and they are talikng about "Pink Slime" in beef which is amonia to "treat" the beef It has always been to my understanding that once you cook meat that basically kills any bugs in it this just freaking sickens me YUCK!
    I saw that also, and it was pretty disgusting. Not in the food sense, but in the fear mongering shitty journalism sense. They not only spent the entire segment trying to make it sound like a horrible thing nobody knew about then admitted at the end that it's an FDA approved and safe practice, but then even used photos of pink goop that wasn't even related to the subject.

the zombie apocalypse is coming thanks to mad cow, you cant cook it away and once you get it, it eats your mind

Quote Originally Posted by galtsghost
    Years ago I learned how to make cheese, breads, cure meats, and can foods because of crap like this.
    I was shocked when I found out that the buns and breads from the stores and restaurants use cellulose as a filler in the flour... that's paper.
    Do you know how much oils are in processed cheese? Tons - and none are easily digested by the body.
    I refuse to eat canned Tomato sauce because the stuff I make from scratch is way better.
    When I make Rosemary Chicken, its from actual Herbs and not a flavor packet that contains "monosodium di-gluconate" as a "flavor enhancer"
    People thought I was nuts back then, they probably think different now.
    What time is dinner?
    tiphatt

Expert Marksman

another good reason to hunt.we eat more deer,elk and bear than beef or pork.though they ares still in the freezer i prefer game any day

Quote Originally Posted by dmpddiver
    Years ago I learned how to make cheese, breads, cure meats, and can foods because of crap like this.
    I was shocked when I found out that the buns and breads from the stores and restaurants use cellulose as a filler in the flour... that's paper.
    Do you know how much oils are in processed cheese? Tons - and none are easily digested by the body.
    I refuse to eat canned Tomato sauce because the stuff I make from scratch is way better.
    When I make Rosemary Chicken, its from actual Herbs and not a flavor packet that contains "monosodium di-gluconate" as a "flavor enhancer"
    What time is dinner?
    tiphatt
    I should post my Italian Red sauce recipe here on SGN - you'd NEVER eat it from a jar again.

SGN Prince of Puyallup zombie66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmpddiver
    What time is dinner?
    tiphatt
    I should post my Italian Red sauce recipe here on SGN - you'd NEVER eat it from a jar again.
    Pen CHECK paper CHECK........................GO!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus211 View Post
    Jesus fuck. Orion I've stood up for you on many occasions, from nonsense 9mm bouncing off insurgents to downtown Seattle security guard "I am the law" rants. As respectfully as this can possibly be said, go shove a pineapple up your ass.

Maybe we need an SGN beat the Pink Slime post your best recipe thread.
    I'm just saying....maybe we should take the warning labels off everything and let nature take its course.

Expert Shooter

Please do.

Most meat is "enhanced" with nitrosamines, which helps give the product a longer shelf life and keeps it looking red. Currently, nitrosamines are not considered a carcinogen, but the metabolites/derivatives are considered a health risk.

Modern food production is a worrisome industry. You're further ahead to know where your food comes from, and buy from a local farmer.

This is a great resource to learn more about nitrosamines: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... J0974.html
    Science-y paper - Formation and Metabolism of N-Nitrosamines: http://www.pjoes.com/pdf/7.6/321-325.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kalopsia
    Modern food production is a worrisome industry. You're further ahead to know where your food comes from, and buy from a local farmer.
    100% true.

In a roundabout way, the chicken byproducts that are rejected by the Iams Company for use in pet foods are bought by Campbell's for use in chicken soup. Seriously.

Not this shit again.

Yes, alot of this looks nasty. And yes, I've heard just about everything from the health food squad about how modern food is horrible. Frankly, I don't care. I like buying food that's affordable, lasts a long time, and is fortified with vitamins and minerals.

In my grandfather's time, biting into an apple and finding a FUCKING WORM was so common place they put it in cartoons. You wouldn't even complain about it, there was no point. There were weevils in everything and you'd have to pick them out of the flour before you baked anything. There was no fast food and eating out was a really big deal. Everything took hours to make. You'd actually know people got goiters, scurvy, gout, and rickets.

So in retrospect, I'm not too worried about eating a trace amount of preservatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by movingviolation View Post
    the only reason to "get behind" a politician is to fuck him in the ass, like he deserves