Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Break-in a Myth?

Barrel Break-in a Myth?

I am just about done building what's gonna be my last AR for awhile and I want it to last and work well. It's a Sig516 piston upper and I've read about breaking in the barrel. By searching various forums I get people on both sides saying it's a total waste of time and others saying you might as well throw the rifle away if you don't.

SOMEONE please educate me. I want to sight in my optics on my new build and today is the perfect day to do it!

Re: Barrel Break-in a Myth?

I am not even going to get into the factory vs. custom barrel comparison, because you have a chrome lined barrel. The idea that copper is going to 'smooth out' any imperfections in a chrome lining is ridiculous. Chrome is so much harder, just shoot it!

Shoot it like you stole it! Barrel break-in is an old wives tell for old guys with too much time on their hands.

If your barrel needed 'smoothing out' or some other reason to 'break it in' it's because it's a sewer pipe to begin with and should be used to keep your tomato plants growing straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokes
    If your barrel needed 'smoothing out' or some other reason to 'break it in' it's because it's a sewer pipe to begin with and should be used to keep your tomato plants growing straight.

Haha!!! Well lets hope not.
    Thanks guys. Going to get it outta the safe now and start blasting! WOOHOO!!!

Sharp Shooter

Depending on the barrel. chrome lined just shoot it. Match grade stainless barrel break it in to spec.
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by loud noises
    Depending on the barrel. chrome lined just shoot it. Match grade stainless barrel break it in to spec.
    What spec? And, more importantly, why?

Quote Originally Posted by loud noises
    I can see why people argue that some factory rifle barrels might need some TLC, though I don't agree with the 1 shot and clean method. But a stainless 'match grade' barrel should be hand-lapped before it leaves the manufacturer. What could you possibly do with some chemistry and a cleaning rod?

Sharp Shooter

I did the one shot clean method It was recommend from the factory (Armalite). Im no expert so I didnt take any chances it definitely didnt hurt it.
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

Banned

I don't do it, and this is why.

Yes, this is all based on opinion with no evidence to back it up.

If I am gonna spend a bunch of money on a rifle, it should shoot well out of the box after a good cleaning. I didn't just spend $1000 for a gun that's gonna shoot like crap out of the box.