Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Break-in a Myth?

Re: Barrel Break-in a Myth?

Current science disproves all the previously held beliefs about barrel break in. A copper jacketed bullet isn't going to affect a stainless steel barrel, other than to fill in the pores and leave a microscopic layering on the surface. This layer will burnish with repeated firings, leaving a smoother surface than the bare steel. Removing all the copper from a barrel's surface actually shortens barrel life, and gives an inconsistency as the barrel goes from clean pressure levels to fouled pressure levels. If you talk to present day competition shooters, most clean their rifles every 500 or so rounds and fire some fouling shots before considering shooting a match. If you leave the bore fouled, with the burnished layer of copper on the surface, you will probably see more consistency in your cold to warm bore shots.

Sharp Shooter

The Armalite shoots like a laser when ya got 1500 into a performance rifle why would ya not follow factory instructions it was triple lapped and might not have needed it but they recommend it. I used moly coated projectiles for break in.
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

Marksman

the only way you can truly break-in a barrel is with specially manufactured abrasive fire lapping ammo. something like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/847811 ... -box-of-20

shooting normal ammo won't do a damned thing. nor is it needed if you have a good barrel.

you only need fire lapping ammo if your barrel was a POS to begin with. never EVER use it on a good barrel, especially a new one. you can seriously damage it.

I've heard mixed reviews of the fire-lapping, and I wouldn't do it to one of my barrels. The correct way to lap a barrel is with a lead slug that will conform to the rifling, and a very fine abrasive. That's what the high-end barrel makers do, which is why so many of these other procedures are unnecessary, except maybe with a really bad factory barrel.

I hear you on the manufacturer's recommendation, it's just unfortunate that they are basing that recommendation on old information. I know that some buyers need to hear that a barrel was 'broken-in correctly', or they are turned off. Ironically, if I hear that a used gun was 'broken-in correctly' I am turned off. I hate the idea that somebody, who may or may not know what a bore guide is, has run his cleaning rod down the barrel a hundred times. That's just asking for throat and crown damage.

Sharp Shooter

I fully agree nothing kills a barrel faster than over cleaning it or cleaning it wrong. In defense of Armalite its been around 10 years sence I bought the rifle they may have changed there tune by now.
    U.S.A. and the Constitution love it and protect it or GTFO

Ron Paul 2012

Well things seemed to have gone ok after firing 40rds. I'm unfamiliar with the rifle and using a 4moa red dot with iron sights but I got the red dot zeroed pretty well after 15 shots from 25 meters. Then lined up the BUIS on the red dot since they cowitness perfectly and fired 10 more with the irons and all but 1 or 2 that I jerked were in the black square! cheeringz Super fun rifle.

Here are a few pics. I only had my cell for pics of the target and for some reason the pics aren't sending to my fileshare so oh well.

After Foothills installed my UBR for me I could see him sighing inside with disapproval on the rifle. I know he's a fan of the older stuff so said its ok to tell me whatever he thought. He says, "I just don't understand Magpul. You kids and your toys. I call it TACTICRAP!" jestera
    Can't say he's wrong. I'm not some hardened SF ninja and more than likely (I hope) will never use this rifle to defend my life with but it's still fun!

Build includes:

RRA Lower w/ matching parts kit
    Sig516 piston upper with Sig BCG
    Magpul UBR Stock
    Magpul BAD lever
    Magpul MOE grip
    Magpul BUIS
    Extended charging handle
    Vortex SPARC red dot
    Tango down Stubby VFG
    TLR1s light

On the way:
    MS3 sling
    Pressure pad and door for TLR1
    3x magnifier

Dealer/FFL

Quote Originally Posted by loud noises
    I fully agree nothing kills a barrel faster than over cleaning it or cleaning it wrong................
    This is a very true statement.

I cringe when I watch some people "ram" the cleaning rod down (or up) the barrel with the attached brush or patch.

It amazes me that many shooters spend a great deal of time learning how to setup their gun, glass bed their match rifle, mount the optics perfectly square and level, develop the "perfect" load for their gun, etc, etc and yet fore go learning the proper way to clean their cherished weapon.

I truly believe that MORE damage is done to quality weapons by improper use of the almighty cleaning rod.

As far as "Break In" goes, I don't know whether it is truly necessary however I do have a procedure that I always follow.

Necessary or not..........it just makes me feel better...... :D
    Formerly known as Big_Daddy
    Class 3 SOT
    http://www.nitroproducts.com
    http://www.nwfishingcharters.com
    https://www.facebook.com/NWFishingCharters

Just shoot, I haven't done more than bore snake my barrel twice in about 2500 rds.
    Check out My Match Vids.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Tugtug