View Poll Results: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would buy NHL/NBA Season tickets for atleast one team.

6 6.98%
  • I would go to several NHL/NBA games every season.

13 15.12%
  • I would go to a game or two each season.

13 15.12%
  • Hell no, a new arena is a waste of money.

54 62.79%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

As most of you know, the plans for a new NHL/NBA arena is possibly in the works for the SODO area. What do you think about it?
    "When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.” Ted Nugent

Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

Basketball? Meh.

Hockey? Hell, yeah!
    Your = something that belongs to you; You're = You are

Loose = not tight; Lose = to not have or find

If a NHL team came here, it would be as popular if not more than the Hawks and Sounders. A natural rivalry with Vancouver would be sweet.
    "When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.” Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by DGM33
    Basketball? Meh.

Hockey? Hell, yeah!
    THIS!!!!!

Guy on another board called me racist since I did not like basketball. TheNickerbocker Is this really the mentality we have now? I informed him my favorite player was Jerome Iginla from the Calgary Flames, who happens to be black, and who happens to spend millions of his own dollars on teams and arenas in Calgary. He is a pillar of his community and not a gangster thug like 90% of basketball players.
    If it weren't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    I would suck farts out of her ass like bong hits.

While I am a HUGE hockey fan (Go Bruins!!!!) and I would love for Seattle to be more of a hockey town, I cannot imagine how it would be fiscally responsible at this time to use public funds to build yet ANOTHER new arena in Seattle. Utterly ridiculous.

On top of that I just don't think a NHL franchise would be well received in Seattle. When I first moved to Seattle from Boston 14 years ago I was amazed at how many people did not know what hockey was, especially being so close to Canada. Being a beer-league player I know there are some (mostly transplants from other areas) that are hockey fans, but I don't think a franchise would make it. The NHL's expansion into the southeast has been mixed. I think the teams do well with attendance for the first few years, but then the novelty wears off and attendance drops off.

I'm sure that Vancouver choking in the Stanley Cup finals last season brought a little more attention to hockey around here, but I'm still betting that it wouldn't hold up.

As for basketball, I couldn't give a shit less!

If some bajillionaire wants to build an arena on his own, fantastic! But putting more on us now is just dumb!

Jedi Knight

Short sighted people would most certainly be against it, not realizing how much money it would bring to town, and how many jobs.

The intelligent non sports fan looks at the big picture.

South Seattle, near the NW corner of Renton Muni Airport

Hockey, IMHO, is much more entertaining than pro basketball. When I was in Kansas, I would go to games once a month. Apparently, there is/might be a private investor who would help make some/alot of this possible, though I do not know if he is fronting any of his own money. I could be persuaded to pony some money for a new stadium though paying for one solely out of tax dollars would get a huge pile of shit on the mayors doorstep.
    Things that I am looking for:
    Ultimak gas tube with picatinny rail for an AK
    Other 922r compliant parts, less FCG, receiver, muzzle device

Everything for a 20in AR with a rifle length gas system,
    I have an upper and lower receiver only. Also need a LPK.
    Will take gently used and new. Have some cash and things to trade, thanks.

Marksman

If you think an arena would be a waste of money, you haven't been hearing about the recent developments. The talks about a new arena is a privately funded arena and wouldn't be build with tax payer money. The only money that might have to be raised would be the infrastructure around the arena (i.e. the roads, which are in desperate need). This is a huge opportunity for the Seattle area to make lots of money. A new arena almost guarantees two all-star games and year round sporting events. Its a win win! Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean you shouldn't support your state. Can't we all just get along... vioz
    I will buy season tickets and sell the tix that I can't go to at a discounted rate to my SGN members babz

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown
    Short sighted morons would most certainly be against it, not realizing how much money it would bring to town, and how many jobs.

The intelligent non sports fan looks at the big picture.
    I hope that wasn't directed towards me.

It's not a guarantee that the franchise(s) would make money first of all. Second, it's not a guarantee that they would be around long enough to repay the debt. The Atlanta Thrashers lasted about 10 seasons. If I were a venture capitalist and this was purely a private venture there is no way I would put out the $500 million for an arena.

And what jobs are referring to? I'm not in the sports industry so I'm not sure, but I don't think that the arena or the teams really employ THAT many people. If you're referring to the construction of the stadium, that's a temporary gig isn't it?

And the tourism boost to the economy of the Seattle would only matter if you're assuming the franchise(s) are successful. If after the first couple of years you're only filling the arena half way I don't think that's a recipe for success.

Sharp Shooter

With the success of the silvertips in Everett, and all the fans that travel to see them (junior hockey!?), I think a pro team in Seattle could work. Especially since you would get trickle down fans from Vancouver and Portland.

I'd love to see some pro hockey in Seattle without the hassle of going to Canada.