View Poll Results: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would buy NHL/NBA Season tickets for atleast one team.

6 6.98%
  • I would go to several NHL/NBA games every season.

13 15.12%
  • I would go to a game or two each season.

13 15.12%
  • Hell no, a new arena is a waste of money.

54 62.79%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

Jedi Knight

Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by chich627
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brown
    Short sighted people would most certainly be against it, not realizing how much money it would bring to town, and how many jobs.

The intelligent non sports fan looks at the big picture.
    I hope that wasn't directed towards me.

It's not a guarantee that the franchise(s) would make money first of all. Second, it's not a guarantee that they would be around long enough to repay the debt. The Atlanta Thrashers lasted about 10 seasons. If I were a venture capitalist and this was purely a private venture there is no way I would put out the $500 million for an arena.

And what jobs are referring to? I'm not in the sports industry so I'm not sure, but I don't think that the arena or the teams really employ THAT many people. If you're referring to the construction of the stadium, that's a temporary gig isn't it?

And the tourism boost to the economy of the Seattle would only matter if you're assuming the franchise(s) are successful. If after the first couple of years you're only filling the arena half way I don't think that's a recipe for success.
    New in town?

Remember what happened to the Queen Anne area when the Sonics left? I'm thinking you don't.

Every restaurant, bar and hotel in the downtown area would rake in tons of new money. New money and new jobs. People who go to sporting events spend a lot of money on team gear, creating more jobs, and more money for the local economy. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Construction of the stadium will bring a lot of good paying jobs, and those employees spend money too. It goes into the local economy.

All star games bring thousands of people from out of town, who spend shitloads of money in town.

The city would put a "use tax" on hotels, etc to foot their share if any.

The returns could be enormous to the area.

Its obvious that you know nothing about what you are talking about.

Basketball...don't care, but hockey sure. I'd go to a few games a season, but I wouldn't want my taxes raised to pay for it. If it's privately funded, then I'm all for it.
    Julian: You're not prostituting yourself for cheeseburgers again, are ya, Randy?
    Randy: A man's gotta eat, Julian.

No.
    And for sure would not support any public funding.
    "Life is tough ..... It's even tougher if you're stupid." ..... John Wayne

dougja

Hockey !

Pro basketball not so much.

Shooter

No Seattle has thrown away enough money on pro sports. But if they do build one I'll be the first one in line to work on it.

Jedi Knight

Gotta spend money to make money. Or don't spend money and hope it falls from the sky.

Some FORWARD thinkers envision something like this in SODO, surrounding the stadiums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Live

Ranger

I do have to say one thing. If the current ownership of the Hawks or the Mariners have an interest in this then I am out. They play loser ball.

If an owner comes in and builds a winning team myself and a lot of other people will be lined up to watch. The Mariners and Hawks are just depressing. Seattle needs a winning team that has more appeal to Americans. Soccer just doesn't do it for a lot of people.

Jedi Knight

Quote Originally Posted by stompah
    I do have to say one thing. If the current ownership of the Hawks or the Mariners have an interest in this then I am out. They play loser ball.

If an owner comes in and builds a winning team myself and a lot of other people will be lined up to watch. The Mariners and Hawks are just depressing. Seattle needs a winning team that has more appeal to Americans. Soccer just doesn't do it for a lot of people.
    I can see why you would say the Mariners, but the Seahawks are another story. Paul Allen owns the Portland Trailblazers so he cannot own another basketball team, and the Mariners ownership would have no interest.

The lack of knowledge here about pro sports is amazing.

Every restaurant, bar and hotel in the downtown area would rake in tons of new money. New money and new jobs. People who go to sporting events spend a lot of money on team gear, creating more jobs, and more money for the local economy. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Construction of the stadium will bring a lot of good paying jobs, and those employees spend money too. It goes into the local economy.

All star games bring thousands of people from out of town, who spend shitloads of money in town.

You're right, I don't know that much about city planning. But why not stop being a fucking asshole and lay off the insults?

I do however have somewhat of an insider's view of hockey in Seattle and in my opinion (is it okay with you if I have one?) I don't think that Seattle is a hockey town. And as far as I know (and I know, I know...I don't know anything) if the seats don't get filled all that money you're talking about isn't going to get raked in.

How many all-star games are you thinking there would be? There would be a max of two in the next 15-20 years assuming there was a hockey and basketball franchise. Big deal!

And you, in your infinite wisdom, said it best: "The returns could be enormous to the area."

Jedi Knight

Quote Originally Posted by chich627

You're right, I don't know that much about city planning. But why not stop being a fucking asshole and lay off the insults?

I do however have somewhat of an insider's view of hockey in Seattle and in my opinion (is it okay with you if I have one?) I don't think that Seattle is a hockey town. And as far as I know (and I know, I know...I don't know anything) if the seats don't get filled all that money you're talking about isn't going to get raked in.

How many all-star games are you thinking there would be? There would be a max of two in the next 15-20 years assuming there was a hockey and basketball franchise. Big deal!

And you, in your infinite wisdom, said it best: "The returns could be enormous to the area."
    No insult intended. You just are uninformed, that's all.

A single NBA all star game brings in from $50 to $100 million to a city when its held there. I would imagine hockey would be similar.

Please refrain from name calling. It's against the rules.

Listen to some local Sportsradio and you will find a lot of interest, especially hockey.

http://mynorthwest.com/422/623868/Hocke ... ossibility