View Poll Results: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would buy NHL/NBA Season tickets for atleast one team.

    6 6.98%
  • I would go to several NHL/NBA games every season.

    13 15.12%
  • I would go to a game or two each season.

    13 15.12%
  • Hell no, a new arena is a waste of money.

    54 62.79%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 83

Thread: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

  1. #41
    Ranger
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,410

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    I wouldn't support using public funds to build such an arena, especially while Key Arena is still sitting there.

    If it was paid for completely privately, fair enough.

  2. #42
    Sharp Shooter
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Everett
    Posts
    760

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by chich627
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasitman
    How do you say Seattle is not a hockey town? Seems to me 95% of the people in this thread support hockey more than basketball. I would say, if it came, and I could afford to go, I would go at least 4 times a year, and if I could only go to one game it would be Seattle against either Buffalo, or Calgary, or the penguins, or the rangers, ah fuck it, I'm going to a god dam game!! :lol:
    I know, and I think that's great. But that's 10 people. I'm basing my statement on the fact that there are only 4 rinks in King County and exactly zero hockey shops in all of western WA. There is one place that stocks a very limited supply of gear (Play it again sports in Lynnwood, but only that one) since the only dedicated shop closed a couple of years ago due to lack of business. Yes, the rinks do have a few things on hand, but it's similar to buying ammo at the range...you only buy it there when you've forgotten something. There is some youth hockey around, but not much. I play hockey 3-4 times a week and also sometimes play in the men's league. However since there is only one adult league in the area (no competition) the prices are pretty high so I can't always do that.

    If it happens, I will certainly go to hockey games whenever I can. And if it is privately funded then all of this is moot.

    Do you play in the GSHL? Do you realize that the GSHL has more divisions than most states have actual leagues and teams? In 2004 I left virginia (not a hockey state in the least) and came home to washington. The GSHL has 11 divisions in 2004-05 league. In Virginia I played in two leagues, one with 3 divisions and one that was rec only and was one division with 3 teams total. How is the greater seattle area not a hockey area? I don't think you realize how important hockey is here. I played for SKAHA (Sno-King Amateur Hockey Association) from 93-98, and there was always a Tier 1, 2, State team, and 3-4 house teams every year minimum. Seattle Jr. Amateur Hockey Association usually had more due to having more funding. That's a lot of players and a lot of teams. How exactly is this area not ready for a hockey team? True Play It Again sports is one of the only pro shops in the area for the sport, but that's mostly because the sport has a lot of online dealers that offer cheap products without having to drive to Canada to get them.

    I personally believe that hockey in Seattle would have a pretty decent profit margin. The majority of people don't support the Thunderbirds because the Key Arena is literally the worst arena to watch hockey in period. Hockey does good in Tri-Cities, and it also does well in Spokane, Portland, and most British Columbian cities.

  3. #43
    Sharp Shooter chich627's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seatac, WA
    Posts
    500

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    [quote=John Brown][quote=chich627]
    Quote Originally Posted by "John Brown"
    Please refrain from name calling. It's against the rules.
    [/quote

    Funny, I noticed that you removed "morons" from your original statement.
    Yes sir, I did. As it was intended to address the sheeple in this town in general, but you assumed I was talking about you. You decided to take ownership of it. Either way, it was not directed at anyone in particular, unlike you calling ME a fucking asshole, which could not be interpreted any other way.
    Okay, this is the last comment I'll make about this, I promise. PM me if needed.

    I didn't assume you directed the "moron" comment at me. That's why I asked if it was meant for me. I did take offense to being told I know nothing about what I am talking about. I know that I did not misinterpret that.

    I don't know the in's and out's of building a new stadium, making a franchise profitable or the financial impacts to the community. I have been a die-hard hockey fan for the last 25 years however so I know about that part of it. I know what a strong fan base is and I have played hockey in the Seattle area for 12 years now. The basis of my argument was that I don't think there is enough interest in hockey here to hold a team for the long term.

    That is my opinion and I may be wrong, that's fine. I got pissed because you resorted to insults because I disagreed with you. I shouldn't have done the same so I apologize.

    That's all I'll be boring everyone with on this.

  4. #44
    Jedi Knight
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sea
    Posts
    10,693

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    Yes. You will.

  5. #45
    Expert Marksman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Snohomish
    Posts
    411

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    I would love a NHL team in Seattle. I would get season tickets and split them with someone. I could care less about a basketball team in terms of going to games or watching but both would bring jobs so I support either or option but prefer both.
    hockey, guns, beer, and boobies. Write in Ron Paul for president.

  6. #46
    Sharp Shooter DGM33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Renton/Kent
    Posts
    736

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by jisatsu
    Quote Originally Posted by chich627
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasitman
    How do you say Seattle is not a hockey town? Seems to me 95% of the people in this thread support hockey more than basketball. I would say, if it came, and I could afford to go, I would go at least 4 times a year, and if I could only go to one game it would be Seattle against either Buffalo, or Calgary, or the penguins, or the rangers, ah fuck it, I'm going to a god dam game!! :lol:
    I know, and I think that's great. But that's 10 people. I'm basing my statement on the fact that there are only 4 rinks in King County and exactly zero hockey shops in all of western WA. There is one place that stocks a very limited supply of gear (Play it again sports in Lynnwood, but only that one) since the only dedicated shop closed a couple of years ago due to lack of business. Yes, the rinks do have a few things on hand, but it's similar to buying ammo at the range...you only buy it there when you've forgotten something. There is some youth hockey around, but not much. I play hockey 3-4 times a week and also sometimes play in the men's league. However since there is only one adult league in the area (no competition) the prices are pretty high so I can't always do that.

    If it happens, I will certainly go to hockey games whenever I can. And if it is privately funded then all of this is moot.

    Do you play in the GSHL? Do you realize that the GSHL has more divisions than most states have actual leagues and teams? In 2004 I left virginia (not a hockey state in the least) and came home to washington. The GSHL has 11 divisions in 2004-05 league. In Virginia I played in two leagues, one with 3 divisions and one that was rec only and was one division with 3 teams total. How is the greater seattle area not a hockey area? I don't think you realize how important hockey is here. I played for SKAHA (Sno-King Amateur Hockey Association) from 93-98, and there was always a Tier 1, 2, State team, and 3-4 house teams every year minimum. Seattle Jr. Amateur Hockey Association usually had more due to having more funding. That's a lot of players and a lot of teams. How exactly is this area not ready for a hockey team? True Play It Again sports is one of the only pro shops in the area for the sport, but that's mostly because the sport has a lot of online dealers that offer cheap products without having to drive to Canada to get them.

    I personally believe that hockey in Seattle would have a pretty decent profit margin. The majority of people don't support the Thunderbirds because the Key Arena is literally the worst arena to watch hockey in period. Hockey does good in Tri-Cities, and it also does well in Spokane, Portland, and most British Columbian cities.
    Besides GSHL, there are Boeing league, Cascade, and a league at the Meat Locker in Tacoma. I also know of several smaller, private, 3 on 3 leagues. There is a LOT of adult hockey around here. And one thing about adult hockey is that it's not cheap to play. Hockey players and fans have money and don't mind spending it. Based on the enthusiam I see talking with the guys I know and from the responses on this board, I would guess pro hockey would do much better here than basketball would. The only problem is that they would need basketball to share the facility with if they're going to make it work.
    Your = something that belongs to you; You're = You are

    Loose = not tight; Lose = to not have or find

  7. #47
    Tactical Operator spikedzombies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Live/Work in Lakewood/Tacoma
    Posts
    4,135

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    I would love an I5 rivalry between Vancouver and Seattle in hockey, I've been a lifelong canucks fan because of Seattle not having a team.

    Look how many minor league hockey teams WA has!

    Sent via Iluminati Spy Satellite Foxtrot Yankee
    I dont hate people, I just hate you... But I Love redheads!!!

    Yes I have my business license.. NO I Won't give you a discount unless your a redhead..

  8. #48
    Patrolman ClickBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Renton
    Posts
    2,146

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    Only if financed by private corporations. The idea of government stealing my money to give to millionaires for a play house for other millionaires really pisses me off getsomez
    I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.
    Socialism is where successful countries go to die.

  9. #49
    Patrolman huskylawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Seattle (Lakeridge)
    Posts
    2,132

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    I support a mix of public money with private money. Look at what Safeco and the Football stadium have done for SoDo and the businesses there. I remember the days when you drove by the Kingdome, you felt like you were in a third world country. Now that area is thriving, and I'm guessing that by now, whatever public funds were (or could have been used) for those projects have paid off in spades in terms of jobs for locals and taxes.
    Just remember....when seconds count, the police are 15 to 20 minutes away...
    That's why I have a Walther PPS (9MM), FN 5.7, FN SCAR-L 16, Ed Brown Kobra Carry (1911 .45), Ruger GP100 (.38 or .357), Remington 700 (.308), Kel Tec KSG

  10. #50
    Jedi Knight
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sea
    Posts
    10,693

    Re: Would you support a new arena for the NHL/NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ClickBang
    Only if financed by private corporations. The idea of government stealing my money to give to millionaires for a play house for other millionaires really pisses me off getsomez
    Thats not how it works. Even if there is some taxpayer money involved, which it doesn't sound like there will be, there is a huge return on the investment. There IS no GIVING. It's INVESTING. Big difference. The use of the word STEALING is ridiculous.

    Using your logic, the city should not reap ANY of the benefits or profit? Let it all go back to the private investors? Yeah, whatever.

    This sort of venue will breathe more life into SODO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •