Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Wrangler Rubicon

Expert Shooter

2012 Wrangler Rubicon

Since this is the only place on this forum I could think of post this I am looking for opinions, I choose to post here rather then a Jeep forum since they would be biased. This could get long as I babble sometimes

I own a 2008 Tacoma TRD off-road, has about 60k miles. It's in good cosmetic condition but I was a bit rough on it when I got it and it needs a new rear bumper, windshield, has a exhaust leak or muffler needs replaced, did some RH front lower control arm damage (hit a deep hole covered in water off roading going about 5 mph and slide the lower control arm a 1/4" or more AFT along it's bushing. wheel shakes and pulls to right even after a alignment), the clutch's throw out bearing squeals/squeeks when the clutch pedal isn't pushed in and continues to make noise until the road noise drones it out, when I hold the pedal down the noise goes away (basically new clutch while I'm in there if I'm going to replace a bearing). All in all I am looking at about $2500-3K in parts/labor.

I am interested in a 2012 Rubicon unlimited but am worried if they have quality issues in both the powerplant and interior components. I've never been a Chrystler fan and had the impression that they used to not make a long lasting product. But since Fiat has about 58% stake in them now and put a new engine and upgraded interior could these be a well made vehicle?? I've only ever owned Toyota trucks/4runner or Honda cars and am a bit biased towards Japanese products but I love the way a Rubicon with a hard top looks, front/rear lockers and solid axels plus the new bigger engine is a plus.

So do any of you have experience or opinions about the 2012 Rubicon's??

Thanks for your time,

Tom

Expert Marksman

Re: 2012 Wrangler Rubicon

Go with the rubicon, they also have the 4 to 1 transfer case, dana 44 front and rear, air lockers front and rear. Also for 2012 they have the rubicon black ops edition. It like 3k more then a rubi, has black rims with better tires, black interior, different gas door, floor mats. Not sure if it warrants an extra $3k, but looks bad ass...

Sharp Shooter

Nothing FIRM on what you are asking, but a few errant opinions.

1) I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with 100k on the clock. I pound it off road, daily driver, whatever- I have spent a grand total of $32 in repairs since brand new.

2) We just bought a 2012 Chrysler, damn the fit & finish on this thing is outrageous, it needs to have a fucking Cadillac badge on it. If you are looking at the Pentastar motor, well the jury is still out on it- but ours gets 21 MPG average, and thats with me launching on the freeway from on ramps.

3) If you need a kick ass salesman see my thread here. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=70934

My Jeep history, my current brand new Chrysler and my dealership deal makes me say run and get one. Check and see if they have your model in an 2011, you will save THOUSANDS.

Also the lifetime warranty is cheap. Buy it later here. http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

Zeigle has unbeatable prices. Yes I did a metric shitpile of homework before I pulled the trigger on a flippin car payment. I walked away from 3other dealerships, swung at the 4th deal from T&C. Good luck!

Sharp Shooter

There is a 2011

http://www.towncountrychryslerjeep.com/ ... 9ad727.htm

MSRP 37.9, I bet you can get that for 30.

Speaking of Chrysler quality, I have a 2008 Dodge that has been a non-stop PITA. Eff Chrysler. Never again.

I have an 06 TRD double cab and love it. Also have had Jeeps Wranglers since 1987 9 to be exact. I have a close friend who is also on this sight who has a 2012 short Wrangler. I have driven it and it far out performs my 2008 in styling and performance. You can't go wrong with the Rubicon over all the other models. Good choice and if I had the cash that is what I would be driving!!!

Marksman

I own a TJ and wish I would of had the option of a Rubicon, I need to buck up and buy a new one.
    Mine has 78,000 and have only had to replace a brake caliper and I am pretty hard on mine, I have taken it to the dunes in Oregon and Idaho and hunting every year locally and have stuffed two bear in the back on two differant occasions.
    It is not practical, its not real good on gas and its not the most comfortable thing out there but I won't be without one ever if I can help it..

Get the Rubicon, they are bad ass.. dualgunner
    Are you going to do something, or just stand there and bleed?

Marksman

from what I hear the extra for a 2012 is worth it unless you are buying a used one. the old 3.8 is the minivan engine, little lacking in power. I have heard good things about the 2012.
    I have a dodge truck and the service manager and mechanic both said go 2012 I would not be happy with a 2010 or 11

Expert Marksman

Also since your a Toyota guy, have you considered an fj cruiser? Im pretty sure some models have a rear locker and something else in the front that they consider a locker.

I myself considered the FJ but the biggest reason why I did not was that you can't take the top off. Sane running gear as the Tacoma from what I have seen. Gave up motor cycles when I got my first Jeep and always enjoy the to off in the summer.