Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A DIY section

Tactical Operator Freelancer1972's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    86 (100%)

A DIY section

I realized while completely dissassembling my filthy revolver last night, that some folks who have never done this could benefit greatly from a section like this. I have already posted at least 2 posts that could go in this section (homemade shotgun snap caps) and the revolver I just took apart to the very last spring last night could have gone in it.

Pics would be excellent to do, every step.

I have taken my revolvers apart at least 5 or 6 times but for someone doing it for the first time, it may be scary.

I used to do work on my BMW and Audi TT on my own and found such a section to be very helpful on their respective forums. The DIY section on my Audi TT timing belt probably saved me about $3500.

A six year old’s perspective on why dogs lives such shortlives…“People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life—likeloving everybody all the time and being nice, right?...Well, dogs already knowhow to do that, so they don’t need to stay as long.” - Shane

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Re: A DIY section

I'd like to do a write up on how to completely disassemble the S&W revolver w/ photos, but it'd take some time...especially working solely from my cell phone gergz

The only thing I haven't taken apart (as far as non gunsmith work goes) on a Smith & Western is the ejector rod from the cylinder. I'm sure I could, I just don't want/need to just yet ;)

**2 things, just real quick on S&W disassembly**

1. Use a hollow ground gunsmithing screwdriver on any/all screws, unless you want to F them up.

2. If you must remove the sideplate, DON'T pry it off. After removing the screws with the proper screwdriver, rap the grip frame a few times w/ a rubber/wooden/plastic dowel or screwdriver handle until it "pops" off.

Those thing always hurt my heart to see on otherwise nice pieces, some heavy handed genius either completely ruins the screws or the fit of the sideplate :(

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterT View Post
    Are you sure it was a guy you know? Are you sure it wasn't...nothing?
    Red Flags - by Soldier Hard [www.redcon1musicgroup.org]

Sharp Shooter
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer1972
    ... homemade shotgun snap caps....
    Where can I find these instructions please?

Feedback Score
    79 (100%)

You guys could do your write ups under the gunsmith section and then a mod could "sticky" it for you.

Feedback Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by quantsuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer1972
    ... homemade shotgun snap caps....
    Where can I find these instructions please?
    viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45112&p=226609&hilit=snap+cap s#p226609

A six year old’s perspective on why dogs lives such shortlives…“People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life—likeloving everybody all the time and being nice, right?...Well, dogs already knowhow to do that, so they don’t need to stay as long.” - Shane

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

google it , youtube or read a book

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalAssault View Post
    Instead of complaining about a free site why don't you try reading the fucking board announcements and the reference section.
    Somewhere in kenya a village is missing it's idiot!!

SGN Chicken Fried Steak Crusader's Avatar
    A secret location high above the metropolis of Everett
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Rob, could you enlighten me on your screwdriver reccommendation, i:e hollow ground. Is there a big difference between one of those and say a
    better quality screwdriver? if there is, could you also give a reccommendation as to a manufacturer of said screwdriver.
    Thank you.

Lord if I die, please don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Feedback Score
    86 (100%)

I use a craftsman 42121 on my revolvers. Perfect fit for both the slot AND the diameter. Both are important as you don't want the blade wider than the screw.

Feedback Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinett_11B
    If you must remove the sideplate, DON'T pry it off. After removing the screws with the proper screwdriver, rap the grip frame a few times w/ a rubber/wooden/plastic dowel or screwdriver handle until it "pops" off.

Those thing always hurt my heart to see on otherwise nice pieces, some heavy handed genius either completely ruins the screws or the fit of the sideplate :(
    I can't agree more with this statement.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by crusader
    Rob, could you enlighten me on your screwdriver reccommendation, i:e hollow ground. Is there a big difference between one of those and say a
    better quality screwdriver? if there is, could you also give a reccommendation as to a manufacturer of said screwdriver.
    Thank you.
    Like freelancer said, a perfect fit is important. If the bit doesn't fit right, then the screws on a S&W can mar (sp?) up very easily. I bought this set from Brownells and they've worked perfectly for me when it comes to all the screws on a S&W: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=406/ ... LVER-COMBO

A stubbier screwdriver works better with S&W's too, as you get more leverage and precision with it. They sell those there on Brownells too.

And, lastly (for this post ;) ), if you're going to be owning and/or working on S&W's for any length of time; then you should think about picking up a copy of the shop manual: http://www.amazon.com/Revolver-Shop-Man ... B000MRFUWY

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterT View Post
    Are you sure it was a guy you know? Are you sure it wasn't...nothing?
    Red Flags - by Soldier Hard [www.redcon1musicgroup.org]