Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your ideal buggout vehicle?

Whats your ideal buggout vehicle?

Just wondering what other people are thinking about BOV's?

My requirements, in no particular order, are:
    1. Age. It has to be EMP proof. No computers for me. Older vehicles are usually easier to work on.
    2. Diesel. They go forever. Multiple fuel options and the milage is generally as good or better that a mogas equivalent. They are simple as hell to work on.
    3. Automatic. I know that a manual transmission is simpler to repair but anyone can drive an automatic. If, God forbid, I have to worry about performing an extra task (shooting, loading...) while driving, I don't want my shift hand tied up with shifting.
    4. 4x4. You never know where you will end up or what you will have to go around/over to get there.
    5. Size. I want enough room to carry preps and my family.
    6. Equipment. Stout bumpers and a winch are minimum here. I would add a roof rack, keeping center of gravity in mind; beef up the electrical system with a high output alternator and another battery; basic recovery gear, high-lift jack, shovel, tow ropes and chains, and a come-along; and at least two spare tires

I'm thinking an 80's 4x4(no lift) E350withfuzzydice with a 7.3 diesel with an earth tone paint job.

Patrolman

Re: Whats your ideal buggout vehicle?

Funny you started this thread, I was thinking of the same thing today. For me it'd have to be my Civic. Great gas mileage and it blends in fine. With the fuel economy, it's protecting against financial SHTF when gas hits $5 a gallon, a far more likley scenario that EMP and armageddon.
    WTB: AR-15 lowers, complete or stripped.

Shooter

I think the Pinzgauer is the ideal BOV/SHTF vehicle. Meets most of your criteria, except I don't think you can get turbo diesel in the US. They are hard to find but can be had if you look hard enough. Very cool IMO.

Expert Marksman

other than the automatic and the size id go with a duece and a half. but to meet your requirements id go with a 1988 k-5 blazer witha 6.5L diesel

My truck.
    Already have it.
    Dan at Mary's pistols:
    "the business practices of my competition is appalling "

What about this

"Time to Nut up or shut up"

Check out the military SUSV

Meets your criteria, except it's 4 track drive. Can be purchased at military surplus auctions for 20-40k.

Google SUSV it's a badass toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalAssault View Post
    You're under the misconception that they will give you $100 for it. In reality is says "up to $100" so it's quite possible they would only offer you a $10 or $20 gift card. Way to sell your soul though.

Thats what I would pick.
    What would you pick and why?

Sharp Shooter

abrams tank thrutz
    Glock, paper, scissors...... choose wisely

Depends on the situation ... kind of.

Options:
    M992 - Gutted of it's artillery gear - decent range for a heavy vehicle. armored, and you can live inside of it. If I recall you can even stand up inside of it.
    M88 - Armored, NOTHING will physically stop it. (It pulls tanks out of the mud!), You have lots of space inside.
    But both are loud, tracked vehicles, but if you have a zombie problem, you can live in the thing and use a .22 from the top to take out the zombies.
    To many zombies...move the house back and forth until the zombie population is noticeably lower.

Lav-25/Styker--anyone know where there might be some of these in this area? ;)
    Cougar MRAP - bomb proof!
    Both have speed and armor. Still loud, but better in urban areas.
    Harder to live in.

Armored Hummv -
    Faster, smaller, quieter, and more maneuverable than the above.
    Excellent off road ability. Shares all it's parts with any other Hmmv. (4x4 don't mean jack if you can't get parts.)
    Which means you find any military base, or NG unit, and you can get parts...or you could just grab another Hmmv.
    Limited capacity - 4 people and a years worth of gear would push this to it's limits as far as space.

Then I would look into civilian vehicles.

A convoy of armored Hmmv's and fuel Hemtt's, could go a long way in any direction. Add in a few tanks and a few Strykers and you got yourself a small army in a SHTF situation.
    I am not a LEO, and I am not a Lawyer.
    If you don't like my opinion, then don't follow it.