Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 144

Thread: New Bump Rule Policy/Sales Ad Info

  1. #31
    Expert Shooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    93
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Perhaps if you don't like it, you should start your own forum and run it the way you want? Avoid SGN.
    You're reading a whole lot into this that I'm not saying there skippy. I'm a die hard capitalist and I love the idea of making money while providing a valuable service. Pointing out that an entity is for profit is not a condemnation, at least not outside of an OWS rally.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalAssault View Post
    As for this being a business and making money, the only money made off this site is by it's advertisers.
    Ok, so honest question then. Is the site not being paid ad revenue from the banners above? Because some folks seem to be intent on misconstruing my words I'll go ahead and specify that I have no problem with that, and even think it's a fine idea. But my impression was that this forum was along the lines of say Facebook, where the users generate content in exchange for a service they don't pay for, and the site generates income from ad revenue. Which, to be clear, I think is a fine arrangement.


  2. #32
    Administrator TacticalAssault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Woodinville
    Posts
    8,675
    Feedback Score
    67 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balog View Post
    You're reading a whole lot into this that I'm not saying there skippy. I'm a die hard capitalist and I love the idea of making money while providing a valuable service. Pointing out that an entity is for profit is not a condemnation, at least not outside of an OWS rally.



    Ok, so honest question then. Is the site not being paid ad revenue from the banners above? Because some folks seem to be intent on misconstruing my words I'll go ahead and specify that I have no problem with that, and even think it's a fine idea. But my impression was that this forum was along the lines of say Facebook, where the users generate content in exchange for a service they don't pay for, and the site generates income from ad revenue. Which, to be clear, I think is a fine arrangement.
    Up until late last year SGN had ZERO advertising and was FREE for all users. Only recently has it started offering advertising space. The businesses that choose to advertise do so because of the number of members and not the content per say. Where else can a gun store reach 15,000 potential buyers at once for a minimal cost? Regardless of the content if there were only 500 members, advertisers would likely not be interested in advertising with SGN. SGN was designed to give gun enthusiasts a FREE place to buy, sell, trade and discuss our hobby. No more, no less. SGN is owned by a single individual who fronts ALL costs out of his own pocket just to give all the members a place to use. Any money received from advertising or donations goes directly back into running the site. Those of us who have been here since the very beginning typically take offense when someone has the nerve to criticize a free site that is paid for by a single person simply because he enjoys the hobby. The site owner does not expect to get rich off this site nor is that his intent. His intent has always been to provide a free service for all Seattle area gun enthusiasts.

    "There's two things in life you can't take back... Bullets and words. So make sure you hit what you aim at and make sure you mean what you say."

  3. #33
    Jedi Knight John Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sea
    Posts
    10,040
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balog View Post
    You're reading a whole lot into this that I'm not saying there skippy. I'm a die hard capitalist and I love the idea of making money while providing a valuable service. Pointing out that an entity is for profit is not a condemnation, at least not outside of an OWS rally.



    Ok, so honest question then. Is the site not being paid ad revenue from the banners above? Because some folks seem to be intent on misconstruing my words I'll go ahead and specify that I have no problem with that, and even think it's a fine idea. But my impression was that this forum was along the lines of say Facebook, where the users generate content in exchange for a service they don't pay for, and the site generates income from ad revenue. Which, to be clear, I think is a fine arrangement.
    Ok Tiger. Paint it whatever color you want, but you are bitching about something that is provided at no cost to you, that you can potentially make a few bucks from. Whether or not the owner makes a penny is totally irrelevant.

    Don't come to my house for dinner and bitch that the prime rib was too done for your tastes.

    "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

  4. #34
    Sharp Shooter H-minus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Snohomish/Bothell
    Posts
    656
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brad01 View Post
    I usually learn quite a bit from the other people who post additional info below a OP's post (ex. whenever a S-W dash model goes up someone explains more about the models below the sale ad, another ex. anytime there is a unique model or optic for sale there is more helpful info below posted by another member).
    My thoughts exactly, perhaps the OP could link to another posting in an appropriate discussion area?

    Just a thought.

    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."--- George Orwell (1903-1950)

  5. #35
    Jedi Knight John Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sea
    Posts
    10,040
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by H-minus View Post
    My thoughts exactly, perhaps the OP could link to another posting in an appropriate discussion area?

    Just a thought.
    Did you miss the part where TA suggested making a thread in the guns discussion area? Thats where discussions belong, not in the classified ads.

    If you click on the Space Needle in the upper left corner, it brings you to a page with a WEALTH of categories to choose from.

    Jus' sayin'

    "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

  6. #36
    Sharp Shooter H-minus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Snohomish/Bothell
    Posts
    656
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I did miss that, I was suggesting a link so a person would see at a glance that further discussion/information was available at SGN for the specific item for sale.

    Last edited by H-minus; 05-24-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."--- George Orwell (1903-1950)

  7. #37
    Jedi Knight John Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sea
    Posts
    10,040
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)


    "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

  8. #38
    Patrolman brad01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,719
    Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    [QUOTE=TacticalAssault;931462]As far as replies in posts go, sometimes there is good info added to the thread but that bumps it to the top every time and typically starts needless conversations. There is a wonderful site out there called Google that contains ALL the info in the world on any given subject. It is each buyers job to do his own due diligence before making a purchase and not rely on the posts of others. If you have a question regarding a specific firearm you can always make a thread in the general firearms discussion section and get the answers without cluttering up sales ads and bumping them to the top all the time. QUOTE]


    The reason I frequent this forum is because the members are knowledgable and I've gotten to meet many of them. I would trust them over a randon google any day. And isnt that the point of a forum-where I can come to learn from other local enthusiasts? Just being more community minded vs. anonymous is good for the site I think. Plus with the new way these for sale ads just look like craigslist ads :(


  9. #39
    Expert Shooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    93
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Ok Tiger. Paint it whatever color you want, but you are bitching about something that is provided at no cost to you, that you can potentially make a few bucks from. Whether or not the owner makes a penny is totally irrelevant.

    Don't come to my house for dinner and bitch that the prime rib was too done for your tastes.
    I'm looking at this thread, and the only bitching I'm seeing is coming from you. And if you're making money off folks coming to your house, then yeah those people who are generating revenue for you to enjoy your hobby have a right to talk about it.

    As an aside, I'm starting to wonder if this site is a part of Daily Kos or Democrat Underground, based on all the hateful reactions to the idea that the site owner is making profit. When did saying someone is an entrepreneur become an insult? I think it's a damn compliment.


  10. #40
    Jedi Knight John Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sea
    Posts
    10,040
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balog View Post
    I'm looking at this thread, and the only bitching I'm seeing is coming from you. And if you're making money off folks coming to your house, then yeah those people who are generating revenue for you to enjoy your hobby have a right to talk about it.

    As an aside, I'm starting to wonder if this site is a part of Daily Kos or Democrat Underground, based on all the hateful reactions to the idea that the site owner is making profit. When did saying someone is an entrepreneur become an insult? I think it's a damn compliment.
    Its your insinuations and assumptions that are the bones of contempt, Sport.

    "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •