View Poll Results: No more posting in FS threads a good idea?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 58.93%
  • No

23 41.07%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the new "no bump" rule a good idea? And your thoughts on other aspects of the board.....

Feedback Score
    169 (100%)

Is the new "no bump" rule a good idea? And your thoughts on other aspects of the board.....

There were some debates amongst people I chat with about this new rule and other aspects of the board. Was suggested that if enough people hated it and made it known, it would possibly be changed. So instead of flooding Norm with 10k emails thought we could take a poll and if they wish, implement changes that reflect desires of the masses.

This is my personal opinion and mine alone:

Something has been lost on this site as of recent. Not too long ago, there were some awesome PIFs, get together's, and other things. One member (john brown IIRC) even PIF'ed a friggin pistol which was awesome. The no posting in others FS ads IMO is a drag. Yes people thread crap sometimes and others (myself included) have bumped an ad a day early not paying attention. There has been some drama in a few threads and runon conversations that don't belong there maybe but in all honesty, that's what makes this site entertaining.

Haven't seen a PIF worth a damn lately, the peninsula box I started a couple months ago has apparently vanished, and the overall feel of the board just seems to be less about comradrie lately. We donated over $1,000 IIRC to Sleepy when his dog got injured, we raised something like $4,000 to the fallen ranger fund from total strangers.

Maybe I'm alone here but I highly doubt it. Not sure what we can do to bring it back but if anyone has ideas and feels the same way I do, I'm sure the owner and others would be open to them. Maybe this is the consequence of growing so big so fast. I dunno.

After I post this I will not be able to post a reply in my own thread for 48 hours unless someone else does first. Not only is this annoying but it also encourages people to start all kinds of troll accounts in essence creating the same amount of work for mods to monitor those instead of monitoring early bumping instead. /soapbox

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I do not see how we lose community making the For Sale section clean and tidy. Maybe an exclusion for PIF's are in order. But other than that, we still have the normal, discussion/community sections of site that seem to work just fine.

I press trigger, I don't press people button.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, I kinda liked the comments in the FS adds.

Quote Originally Posted by IRackNBack View Post
    ....the peninsula box I started a couple months ago has apparently vanished, .....
    I was the last one to hide it. I tried a search for the thread on it but I think it was lost during the site move. I checked on the box on Mother's Day and it was still there, but a member had said he and his son were hoping to go get it, so I left it there. I'll rehide it and start a new thread with it's updated location.

To be honest, I think the good-natured feeling and camaraderie of this site has wound up on another site, including the PIF's. Fucking HUGE kudos to JB for his epic PIF, but the rest of the crew has been slacking, myself included.

Somebody buy this shit, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!--->>>http://seattleguns.net/showthread.ph...OP-Trade-Added

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Like most polls, the people with a bitch will be an inflated percentage. Most people who have no problem, won't vote. They are busy browsing the forum and won't bother.

I find it hard to believe that people actually think all the thread crapping was ok. And even if only the true CRAPPING was bad, how exactly to the mods police it? That meant they had to spend most of their time on the forum reading ads and deciding what was CRAPPING and what wasn't.

The thread crappers will vote no. Those that enjoyed it. People who took advantage and artificially bumped their buddies ads will vote no. People who artificially bumped their own ads by replying "PM's repiled to" will vote no.

The argument about "useful info" being discussed in for sale ads is silly. Discussions are for the discussion forum. For sale items are for the for sale forum. Pretty simple concept.

The PIF issue is easily solved. Make a PIF forum, separate from the classifieds.

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Why comment on sale ads? Its a sale ad, not a gun pic thread. If you are interested in the gun, send the seller a PM. Why is this so hard for some of you to figure out?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick425 View Post
    Why comment on sale ads? Its a sale ad, not a gun pic thread. If you are interested in the gun, send the seller a PM. Why is this so hard for some of you to figure out?
    Not to compare SGN to other forums, but no bullshitting in for sale ads is pretty standard policy most places.

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    I think an easy way to solve this issue is just to pm the OP with any questions, then they can update their own listing with any additional info they didn't include without bumping their own ad. As much as I like a good laugh with a lowball offers on the ad's, it has been getting out of hand with thread shitters lately.

Plus, if there is something thats good & cheap for sale it might stay hidden a bit longer without the bumps. It might give some of us the chance to get deals before some of you vulchers.

"When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice. Ted Nugent

Feedback Score
    169 (100%)
    I didn't mean the actual thread crapping is or should be ok. I meant that sometimes a little drama is what keeps people entertained. Nobody can argue the fact that people as a whole enjoy drama whether it be there own making or someone elses.

It is possible I'm off base here, that has happened from time to time but I think a huge draw of the "old" site was there was more freedom. I completely understand the point of limiting things, especially with the increased population base.

I'll admit that a HUGE majority of posting in peoples FS threads was crap. But if someone actually knew what the mags Brad01 had were when he posted them FS and asked if someone knew the brand, they could just post in there what it was and be done. Yes, we could PM him too but people are lazy and that's just too many extra clicks! Nothing is or ever will be perfect.

Last edited by IRackNBack; 05-25-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Patrolman
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The chatter was useless. I posted some .40 ammo one time for less than what Sportco was charging for the same ammo, less than what you'd pay at walmart, and I got a couple of clowns posting that they can reload the ammo cheaper than that. :freak:

Useless chatter is thread crapping. I'm glad it's gone, it did no good.

WTB: AR-15 lowers, complete or stripped.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IRackNBack View Post
    I didn't mean the actual thread crapping is or should be ok. I meant that sometimes a little drama is what keeps people entertained. Nobody can argue the fact that people as a whole enjoy drama whether it be there own making or someone elses.

It is possible I'm off base here, that has happened from time to time but I think a huge draw of the "old" site was there was more freedom. I completely understand the point of limiting things, especially with the increased population base.

I'll admit that a HUGE majority of posting in peoples FS threads was crap. But if someone actually knew what the mags Brad01 had were when he posted them FS and asked if someone knew the brand, they could just post in there what it was and be done. Yes, we could PM him too but people are lazy and that's just too many extra clicks! Nothing is or ever will be perfect.
    NO worries about lack of drama. There's still plenty.

The mods were probably spending the majority of their time "policing" the for sale ads. Now they don't have to.

-Groucho Marx