Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How about a "first dibs" club?

Banned
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Re: How about a "first dibs" club?

It's perfectly fine for the seller to accept more than his offer price. If you want it that bad. As long as you keep it quiet there shouldn't be a problem.

Tactical Operator Freelancer1972's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    86 (100%)

There is a name for that, it's called a starting bid.

A six year old’s perspective on why dogs lives such shortlives…“People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life—likeloving everybody all the time and being nice, right?...Well, dogs already knowhow to do that, so they don’t need to stay as long.” - Shane

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr Shooter View Post
    It's perfectly fine for the seller to accept more than his offer price. If you want it that bad. As long as you keep it quiet there shouldn't be a problem.
    If it's perfectly fine, why would you need to keep it quiet?

Banned
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Poor wording. It's fine as far as the rules of the site are concerned, but members will get pissed at you for doing it. If you aren't interested in making any friends, then by all means share with the group.

There is nothing in the rules prohibiting a person from posting an ad that says "Gen 3 Glock 19 - $5000/obo"

This technically makes it an auction, but is not in violation of the site rules. It kind of is, but isn't at the same time.

Last edited by Steyr Shooter; 06-14-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    You are advocating "silent auctions"? That's what it sounds like to me.
    I guess I could see that....never mind. That wasn't my intention.

I just thought that an offer was an offer and the seller has the right to take whatever offer he wants. You could take the first offer that's given, the first person that's available to come get it, or the best offer. But if that's too close to an auction, then never mind.....my bad....I won't do it.

Julian: You're not prostituting yourself for cheeseburgers again, are ya, Randy?
    Randy: A man's gotta eat, Julian.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr Shooter View Post

There is a disturbance in the Force.

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

This is the problem I see with not being able to reply to for sale ads anymore. It almost turns the sale into a silent auction by default leaving the seller to wheel and deal as he pleases behind the scenes. While utterly American, it doesn't really hold the seller to honoring a first offer but bringing up honor in a forum is probably about as useful as a Glock thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsalamander View Post
    Id crawl through a mile of broken glass just to suck the dick that fucked her last.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oasis618 View Post
    This is the problem I see with not being able to reply to for sale ads anymore. It almost turns the sale into a silent auction by default leaving the seller to wheel and deal as he pleases behind the scenes. While utterly American, it doesn't really hold the seller to honoring a first offer but bringing up honor in a forum is probably about as useful as a Glock thread.
    Why should someone be held to honor the first offer? If someone gets two offers, the first being from a newb with no feedback and the second being a regular with 100 positives why is he less honorable to go with the regular? Maybe he's just trying to save himself from a headache.

Julian: You're not prostituting yourself for cheeseburgers again, are ya, Randy?
    Randy: A man's gotta eat, Julian.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Feedback? What is this thing you speak of.

Douché: Pronounced "do-shay" and used like "touché", but in reply to something done or said that's utterly douchetastic e.g. "Wow, you went and did a selfie in the spray tan booth. Douché!"