Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 332

Thread: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

  1. #101
    Tactical Operator .308Win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Posts
    4,781
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SST1989 View Post
    I believe in some ways this will help SGN, however I also believe it will equally or even more so hurt it. Yes it will weed out some of the members who sell something then leave, or plague the site with arguments without ever actually buying or selling something. It will also weed out a lot of potential buyers who for whatever reason do not want to pay to have the option to buy a gun through a private party. Any seller on here should be against this new cost because it will seriously limit their spectrum of buyers. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking that every new member is a felon, criminal ect... It will also probably weed out that naive seller who posts his gun or something passed down to him for sale at a steal price. The ones we see here on SGN that are bought literally minutes after they are posted. It has already been stated and I also agree that this will create a "boys club" of limited members. How many times can you pass that same gun around the new limited pool?

    What keeps SGN new, evolving and the market continually moving and growing is the continual influx of new members bringing new WTS's and desires to buy, not the same old member base. This is what is/was great about SGN and what separated it from the rest (apart from the obvious difference that we are buying and selling guns here)

    There has been a lot of complaining about the "craiglist" flakes... I'm sorry, I thought that you all were intelligent adults who could/can work a transaction and communicate with potential buyers and figure out that the "buyer" is actually going to meet you. You all have phones, do you not talk on the phone with the buyer the day of or hour before to ensure that you are actually going to meet someone?

    I don't see how this new cost is actually going to help SGN apart from what advertisements could not achieve, so from how I understand it anyone will be able to see and post in the discussion section, so you still have the public screwing that up, but they can't view or contact you about your WTS add... how did that help you again, you just severely limited your customer base.

    For the FFL dealers, are you enjoying knowing that your customer base was just severely limited because the general public (as I understand it) can't view your WTS adds.

    Many other sites have advertisements on the side of the screen, why not employ the use of advertisements to offset costs rather than driving away potential members who could be a future seller or buyer.

    I am curious what percent of the members are going to not pay this cost and effectively drop SGN. I will not be paying it. Call me a cheapskate or what you will. So far I see a lot of members commenting on this who are on SGN everyday if not multiple times a day, SGN is arguably equally a social sphere to you than a place to buy and sell guns. You are forgetting that the majority of SGN members are not as dedicated as you, its actually hypocritical because you claim you want to weed out useless members but after this happens how long will it be before you post another thread complaining about how you can't sell your gun/item that would have sold already before the members were cut.

    Or, another way of looking at it, how many of you will miss out on buying a item because the potential seller left or chose not to join SGN due to the cost.

    Some of you will say good riddance, some of you may understand this thought process. The point is, No one in any successful business would advise you to make a move that will cut your current and future customer base by a significant percentage.
    +1


  2. #102
    Ranger bd1493's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific Beach
    Posts
    1,269
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Does paypal take fish tanks?

    If I don't answer your PM, it's probably because I have determined that you are a low-life price gouger that is not worthy of my attention.

  3. #103
    Expert Marksman hillyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Stevens
    Posts
    417
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    +2

    http://db.tt/42In4JrD free dropbox account with an extra 250 Mb

  4. #104
    Expert Marksman azrael_cervale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    444
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Samnang View Post
    I'm going to spend $6 and see how the quarter goes. Hopefully the forum increases in quality without sacrificing its user base.
    Same here, I have concerns about losing the "non gun guys" the ones that aren't really into it but have something that was given or passed down and want yo sell it for more than the 25% most ffls would pay. I don't have the answer, i wish i did, but i'll pony up a quarter or year and see how the board fairs, by the number of longstanding that are already leaving i'm concerned but i hope things work out.

    As a point of conversation, Would you pay the money to try and sell something on an unknown forum? I currently know how everything works, and i'm good with it but not sure i would have started using SGN if i had to pay to find out.

    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

  5. #105
    Tactical Operator XDM9cWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    4,560
    Feedback Score
    70 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SST1989 View Post
    I believe in some ways this will help SGN, however I also believe it will equally or even more so hurt it. Yes it will weed out some of the members who sell something then leave, or plague the site with arguments without ever actually buying or selling something. It will also weed out a lot of potential buyers who for whatever reason do not want to pay to have the option to buy a gun through a private party. Any seller on here should be against this new cost because it will seriously limit their spectrum of buyers. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking that every new member is a felon, criminal ect... It will also probably weed out that naive seller who posts his gun or something passed down to him for sale at a steal price. The ones we see here on SGN that are bought literally minutes after they are posted. It has already been stated and I also agree that this will create a "boys club" of limited members. How many times can you pass that same gun around the new limited pool?
    I have no problem spending 6 dollars if I need to, the problem is that the site's user base just got drastically cut and not sure it's worth 6 dollars even to post an ad and have a limited market.... for every flake there are a few real buyers that will never see my ad...

    I would think paying a premium to sell makes sense, but paying a premium to buy won't work.. doesn't support a free market... the only place that works is at costco, and only because they have a different market...

    I started on SGN because I was looking to buy some accessories... if I had to pay 6 dollars to find some 20 dollar grips, I would never have stayed...

    how many potential users will move out? I would estimate about 20% of the actual user base will pay, the rest will wither away.. but it may be more like 5%

    never saw the issue with 800$ glocks... I think the issue is with grown men who could not skip an ad and had to get upset when they saw one.. because it competed with their own overpriced sale... go figure...

    the problem is not regular users who can appreciate what we are paying for, it's the new ones that don't know what they are missing and will never find out...

    I had this interesting conversation from a mod a while back... how this was not a primarily a for sale site... but the for sale section is on the top...

    this is primarily a for sale site, with a small community that sticks around... (at least based on what folks come here for) and occasional newbies that post some questions... anybody who denies that is lying to themselves...

    and I realize this is Norm's site and he can do whatever he wants, but the value in the site is in it's user base... and I realize it costs money to run a site... but this is not the way to do it... it's bad business in the long run...

    I may get booted out of here for what I'm saying and that's fine... it won't be as fun anyway... there are other free sites and the only reason most of what is sold is in portland is because we have SGN and this is more convenient... overnight they will see the WA for sale ads grow there and it simply will take the market that was here... this is what a free market economy looks like... unless there are no choices, people will bring their product elsewhere.. WAC can afford to increase their table fees because they have no competition... if there was another gun show in town, that would never fly...

    there are other sites around that have a small membership, nothing moves on their for sale ads.. you see ads from 3 mos ago on the top sometimes... this is what this will look like in a few months... unless the fee becomes limited to just the sellers...

    I would say make it 2 dollars a month to sell, you sign up for 2 dollars everytime you want to sell and you get 30 days of selling rights.. it will make more people sign up as it doesn't make sense to pay 6 dollars if all you are selling are 40 dollar dies... and you can pay the months you have something to sell...

    the folks you will see at the SGN shoot/meet will be those that pay, I can't imagine 10,000 people showing up, can't even imagine 1000 showing up... if there were only 1000 buyers and sellers, the classifieds would be dead....


  6. #106
    Ranger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    United Socialist States of what was America
    Posts
    1,283
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidoo View Post
    Gold membership is exactly what you have now with the pm capacity increased from 200 to 400.
    Platinum has 600 pm capacity, platinum discussion forum, photo album capability, ability to post in for sale ads, highlighted threads and a chat room soon to come.
    The free section will include the use of the discussion forums only, classified section will be reserved for subscribed members only and pms will be very limited.
    Personally I dont mind paying Norm. He purchased this site which I have no doubt cost a shitload more than $6 to make a few bucks. The members on the other hand, deserve to have their Classified looked at by even the visitors so my suggestion would be make the gold membership the minimum to be able to PM. In all honesty I wouldn't have joined a year ago if I couldn't see the classifieds! If someone see a piece they cant live without they will join and when the realize the value of the site they will stay and pay!
    So standard should be look only - no PM. The adds should be the enticement for people to join.
    Gold should be as it is now
    Platinum should be whatever Norm want to provide to the "Special" members.
    Just my suggestion but I believe the paying members wont lose any value as long as potential buyers see what they have for sale.


  7. #107
    SGN Dog Food Sniper sinus211's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lynnwood
    Posts
    6,883
    Feedback Score
    70 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Blah blah blah......I want my 2 dollars!!!!!!!!

    Licensed/Bonded/Insured Hardwood Floor Installer/Finisher http://www.hardwoodfloorsnw.com/

  8. #108
    Jedi Knight John Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sea
    Posts
    10,040
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Classic whining. Keep it coming.

    "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

  9. #109
    Operator steveptr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    2,781
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Classic whining. Keep it coming.
    It won't stop!!!!

    Save a child. Shoot a drug dealer. My favorite bumper sticker


    ?....do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  10. #110
    Sniper massivedesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    5,228
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

    Quote Originally Posted by steveptr View Post
    It won't stop!!!!


    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!
    Want an affordable cell phone plan with great coverage? Look no further, click HERE!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •