Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Re: SGN Tiered Subscription membership info thread

I still think crude oil member is more valuable

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by azrael_cervale View Post
    As a point of conversation, Would you pay the money to try and sell something on an unknown forum? I currently know how everything works, and i'm good with it but not sure i would have started using SGN if i had to pay to find out.
    I for one am immediately deterred by websites that I am not familiar with that want to charge me for a membership. Since I know, like, and appreciate SGN for what it is, I have no problem paying the 6 bucks. I do believe however that this will drive away potential new members that have something to offer to our little society here. On the flip side, the people who run the site need to be compensated for their hard work.

Suggestion: Gunbroker.com charges you 1 dollar to create an account just to make sure you don't spam and you can post all you want but you pay for additional options to pimpify your ads. Perhaps we could follow their example?

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

I originally joined this forum so that I could ask some basic questions, as I was (and still am ) a bit of a gun noob. Since then, I have met a lot of cool guys, made some great trades, purchases and sales. I have also learned a ton and had a blast! I have been taught how to reload my own ammo (thanks Wes!) and found a place that frequent daily.
    This site provides comedic relief, great information, and usually good deals to be found. I could honestly care less about the $6 a month to continue doing the same, however I do have a legitimate concern that lies with the fact that lots of people like me, who are relatively new to the hobby are not going to get exposed to all of this if they have to pay to sign up. If I would have had to pay to join, I probably wouldn't have signed up in the first place. I understand that Norm has expenses, and I don't mind ponying up some cash. I am just troubled by the idea of this ending up being a limited group of people and not having new blood coming in regularly. I think the current variety we see in both questions, for sale adds, opinions, etc is great and would just hate to see that dwindle down.
    If it weren't for a lot of the great buys/trades I have made on here, I wouldn't be able to afford this hobby. I would very much like to continue to be able to in the future so I will buy a quarter membership and see how it goes.

Crossing my fingers...

Beware the guise of security, for it is temporary and false and true intentions will become transparent once your freedoms have been stripped....

Banned
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

All this got me to recall a site I used to frequent 7 years ago so went back and checked it out. It's a shell of what had been.
    It was a Ford technicians site. We bought and sold tools and other items, exchanged diagnostic tips, job leads when someone got canned, bullshitted, told dirty jokes and shared pics just like Gasitman. Had just as many different topics as here. It was a hot U.S. site from just about 1998 until I left in 05' for good, although the downhill slide started in late 03' or early 04'.

It was the advent of the 6.0 diesel that brought out of the wood work every ma an pop repair store and backyard joe's to us. It got busy fast and soon people where thread crapping, bad mouthing Ford or International etc, telling one of us how wrong we where etc. It was just busy and was a cluster with people that shouldn't own a vehicle.

The mods determined to "weed" out the problem people and decided to put EVERYBODY through a vetting process, no dues, but we had to provide certain info such as past or present dealer employment, ASE certs and what factory schooling. It did clean out the people, ALOT of people, we also lost quite the number of actual experts in certain fields that did not meet the new requirements along a large handful of techs that just said to hell with it. The site was sold I believe in early 2005 to someone else who tried to bring it back to life but I believe the bad taste lingered, damage had been done and most of us just didn't care anymore.
    The place turned into a ghost site with the same people posting the same thing day in and day out. The sale section diminished, which really sucked as there had been quite a few that would buy a $300 tool to use once then sell it for $100. Quite the opposite of the Glock prices here!
    We lost alot of people over the course of maybe just over a year. I eventually got bored of the same stuff being posted by the same people and just kinda vanished over time after the sale. When I went on there just a bit ago, it's still there and for the most part it's the same people that post the same thing, 7 friggen years later. The sale section is dead, the tech section has barely any activity and the only section that is active, is the dirty jokes, calender girls and unfair flat rate pay sections......

Was it right or proper to do that procedure to clean house? I don't think so but, wasn't my site to decide that. May have been other ways to clean the site that would have prevented the downfall and kept it hot but who knows, its in the past and is a has been.

I will keep coming here, whether or not at some point I drop off $'s is a good guess. I don't go to gun shows unless I have to, twice in 20 some odd years is enough for me.
    If I have something to sell that my "clique" doesn't want, maybe I'll drop the coin so i can post within this clique and, if theres something I can't find outside of this site, I can do the same so I can see "if" it's here.
    Hell, maybe I will stop whinning and just pay anyway as it is cheap entertainment to read the same 8 or 9 people kicking each other................
    So, at some point if I run into a mod I'll probably plop down a years dues as really, not only am I to damn lazy, but have no desire at all to do a pay pal as the only 2 items I have ever paid for by way of pay pal I just gave my son the cash and he did it for me.

I truly do hope for the owner and those that spend theyre life on here that the site remains full force, I honestly do.
    AND to those that throw out the whinning or its only x$'s phrases, you may very well be right and thats your opinion but, try an stay on that short pedestal, it hurts less when you do fall.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

SeattleGuns.net is a specialty marketplace on the Web. As any marketplace, people have varied levels of interest and knowledge on the subject in the marketplace.

I understand the need for financial support to keep the site running. However, this new policy will, IMO, decrease the numbers of people who visit this marketplace. Any capitalist will tell you that decreasing the velocity of visitors hurts the return for those who wish to profit from the actions in the marketplace. The site will suffer because for a lot of people, it will cease to be a site to visit any more.

Another idea is to charge for posting any ad for a couple of bucks instead. For the hardcore sellers, have a flat annual rate ($100?) that lets someone post as many items as they wish. I believe it would be simple to execute, and not restrict anyone from enjoying all parts of the site. Yet money could be earned to support it.

By doing this, all of the part-time visitors, as well as the newbies (and there are a lot of them every day, it is called "new blood") will still be able to participate by communication and getting to learn from other's posts.

Eliminating the "flakes" simply cannot happen on a website. Never. But this policy will decrease traffic considerably, and most of those that leave will probably never, for the most part, return. That is a loss to everyone and the owner of the site.

Please consider an alternate way to generate revenue that does not decrease the full spectrum of visitors, longtime and newbie alike.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think the previous idea of allowing non paying members to view but not PM is pretty good but that would mean no Phone numbers or Email addys in posts. It would show the new members what they would be paying for.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by azrael_cervale View Post
    I think the previous idea of allowing non paying members to view but not PM is pretty good but that would mean no Phone numbers or Email addys in posts. It would show the new members what they would be paying for.
    Non paying members should still be able to browse and buy all they want. To sell on the other hand, you must be a paying member. My .02

Feedback Score
    70 (100%)

I just recently got a great deal from a guy here who barely sells anything. I for one am sure based on our chat that he would not have listed it here if he had to pay...

Profit is made by some but for a lot of us, me included i always sel for less than i paid for or break even at most.. I would pay to sell but not to buy...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

I think everybody is thinking too much. That's what I think.

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
    -Groucho Marx

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nick425 View Post
    Non paying members should still be able to browse and buy all they want. To sell on the other hand, you must be a paying member. My .02
    +1

Beware the guise of security, for it is temporary and false and true intentions will become transparent once your freedoms have been stripped....