Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Hunting......

Duck Hunting......

So im taking it up this year, never have done it. Any tips out there for beginners?

I am also trying to track down a shotty for me right now.

I think that I am stuck on a bennelli nova, 870 and a 11-87. I really think that i am needing the capability of 3 1/2. Your inputs appreciated.

Also if anyone has any old duck hunting equipment laying around hit me up. Thanks
    Winning duh!!!

Ranger

Re: Duck Hunting......

Every hunting spot is unique. Make sure you can retrieve what you shoot.

Expert Shooter

#1 tip: Do not scream profanities in the Wal-Mart when you see the total cost of a small game license and migratory bird validation.

#2 tip: Don't buy in to the high-tech ammo marketing ploy. I use Federal 3" #3's and was very successful last season.

I wouldn't say you "need" 3.5" shells but it doesn't hurt to have the capability. I've noticed that 3.5" shells take down geese more reliably but it could be just a confidence thing since the velocity is usually the same as a 3" (depending on payload). So, I usually have some 3.5" shells set aside for geese only.
    Last edited by worldofpain; 07-25-2012 at 09:37 AM.

The only damn duck I ever killed was with the front, of my Tahoe at 50 mph. They're not very elusive or fast. Damn thing splattered shit all over my windshield and dented my hood. I've hated those winged vermin 'ever since. Good luck with the slaughter.
    Signs. Signs. Everywhere there's signs. Blocking out the scenery, raping my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs?

Expert Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedBear View Post
    The only damn duck I ever killed was with the front, of my Tahoe at 50 mph. They're not very elusive or fast. Damn thing splattered shit all over my windshield and dented my hood. I've hated those winged vermin 'ever since. Good luck with the slaughter.
    That's what all the new guys say. Then they're like "WTF happened" after they've blown through a box of ammo with 1 or 2 kills to show for it.

Banned

Practice making good shots.
    3 1/2" isn't necessary, but if you can get it, go for it. I used to load 2x3" shells and 1x3.5". The 3.5" was my last shot and usually the birds were a ways away by the time I got to that 3rd shot, so it helped to be able to reach out there and get them. Again, not necessary.

Mossberg model 500 chambered in 3.5" is a perfect duck gun, it is like an AK if you drop it in the water or mud you can just wipe it off, shake it out and keep going and it is cheap and durable but most important it has a thumb safety instead of the safety on the trigger like Remington has. Much more natural and reduces the safety fumble effect. If you have a float tube you can use that to retrieve birds and set decoys with and take the time to learn how to use your duck call before the season starts, making the right sounds is important but knowing what calls to make and when to make them is even more important.

But most of all relax and have fun and realize that if you are hunting public land on a weekend you will have lots of company, somebody will inevitably take a shot just as birds are circling over you and scare them off, it is just an unfortunate part of the game.

I'm also wanting to start duck hunting this year. Since all my knowledge is from talking to people who duck hunt, what I say has little value, but I hear semi auto is a big advantage. And if you have ever shot 5 stand, sounds about right. If that is the case I would recommend the Beretta 390 sitting in the for sale section. Although you wouldn't have the capacity for 3.5", I've had a few of these, and they are amazing semi auto shotguns. Problem free and light shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentius View Post
    I'm also wanting to start duck hunting this year. Since all my knowledge is from talking to people who duck hunt, what I say has little value, but I hear semi auto is a big advantage. And if you have ever shot 5 stand, sounds about right. If that is the case I would recommend the Beretta 390 sitting in the for sale section. Although you wouldn't have the capacity for 3.5", I've had a few of these, and they are amazing semi auto shotguns. Problem free and light shooters.

How much are you asking for the Beretta?

It's not mine, but they are asking $450. He's in your area also.
    http://seattleguns.net/showthread.ph...-Semi-Auto-450