Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duck Hunting......

Re: Duck Hunting......

thanks for the info.....still in search of one.......i want a 12 gauge
    Winning duh!!!

Did you decide what gun you are going with? Shotgunworld.com has not only some deals to be had, but some great info on duck hunting

Been hunting ducks since I was a little boy. Now I hunt with my son. A 3 inch gun is plenty for ducks. To illustrate that, most guides won't allow 3.5 inch guns for ducks. I prefer a pump, in modified or full choke. Mossberg is reliable and fairly cheap. 870 Wingmaster is slicker than the mossy, and a great gun. However, the 870 Express I don't like - often fails to extract because the hull welds itself to the rough chamber in these el-cheapo 870s. Nova is a good bet too. So what else do you need? Good ammo - I don't like steel shot - too many cripples. Some kind of heavy-shot is much better. in something around a 2-shot. A good dog is a huge asset. Waders, either waist or chest, are a must. A stout stick to carry when wading in deep water, so you don't go under. Decoys, and know how to set them out. A call, and know how to use it. A lightweight camo chair, and materials to build a blind with. Lots and lots of warm clothes, with all exterior layers in camo. Ducks have excellent eyesight, so camo up and don't move when they are flying nearby. A camo net over your face is a good idea too. Other than that, hot coffee and patience.

You might want to try a guided hunt to start. They provide the decoys, the dog, the blind and a guide who knows how to call. All you bring is gun, ammo, clothes and coffee. I've hunted with these guys down in Tri-Cities a couple of times. and have limited within 2-3 hours both times. They are not cheap, but they do deliver the ducks: www.burbankgoose.com

- Learn to call and don't over call
    - Look at your decoy spread and set it up to bring the ducks in where they will want to land while still giving you shooting lanes
    - Wear full camo including hands and face (your uncovered face is like a reflective mirror to the ducks showing them exactly where you are)
    - don't be a sky buster, know the effective killing range of your gun.
    - You can shoot mergansers (AKA fish killing a-hole ducks) but don't ever try to eat them. Other ducks you should not eat: coots & golden eye.
    - Learn to identify ducks & geese in the air. Killing too many of the wrong species (e.g. Pintail) = fines. Killing the wrong species (e.g. swans) = jail
    - You don't need a dog to hunt ducks but it sure helps. If you hunt without a dog you'll need to be more selective on the shots you take ducks because you'll not be able to retrieve (deep water, private property lines etc).
    - Teal are badass. Their feathers are made of Kevlar, they fly just under the speed of sound, and can survive the double tap but man are they fun to hunt.
    - those metal bands on ducks legs are like little trophies so don't throw them away. If you call them in to USF&W you'll get a certificate that tells you where the duck came from. My only band was off a goose that came from Russia.

Expert Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by arisaka View Post
    I don't like steel shot - too many cripples. Some kind of heavy-shot is much better. in something around a 2-shot. A good dog is a huge asset.
    Hevi-Shot is overrated for anything but Honkers in my opinion. It's also $20+ per box so it's not exactly economical since I can guarantee that a new hunter will miss quite a few shots. If you keep your shots within a reasonable range, steel shot is effective.

A dog is indeed a huge asset but they take years to train properly. Please don't be one of those guys that brings his poorly trained dog out which then proceeds to bark at every bird flying by and tries to retrieve other hunters' kills...

Expert Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Yakima Stone View Post
    - Teal are badass. Their feathers are made of Kevlar, they fly just under the speed of sound, and can survive the double tap but man are they fun to hunt.
    Ain't that the truth. I have some 2 3/4" #4's set aside for use on early season teal.

Funny thing is, teal fly at about the same speed as a mallard but it appears as if they're faster since they're so small. They sure like to juke a lot though.

Find the X. If you aren't where the birds want to be no amount of gear or advice will be enough.
    Last edited by Adipose; 07-26-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Expert Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Adipose View Post
    Find the X. If you aren't where the birds want to be no amount of gear or advice will be enough.
    Easier said than done considering the somewhat limited public hunting areas. While WA has more public hunting areas than many other states, it's still pretty limited and there's a lot of competition for spots. Be prepared to have some dude in jeans and a t-shirt with no decoys set up next to you...

Quote Originally Posted by worldofpain View Post
    Easier said than done considering the somewhat limited public hunting areas. While WA has more public hunting areas than many other states, it's still pretty limited and there's a lot of competition for spots. Be prepared to have some dude in jeans and a t-shirt with no decoys set up next to you...
    He will probably be sitting on a coleman cooler drinking Schmidt then shooting the cans he throws out in the pond, (I saw that up at the mouth of the Skagit) another public land idiot to be aware of is the guy who sneaks up on your decoys, you have to be on the lookout for this genius because more often than not he takes a shot at the far end of his shotty's range putting holes in your dekes or spraying your blind.

Expert Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by obamaisaliar View Post
    another public land idiot to be aware of is the guy who sneaks up on your decoys, you have to be on the lookout for this genius because more often than not he takes a shot at the far end of his shotty's range putting holes in your dekes or spraying your blind.
    It seems like every waterfowler I speak to has a story exactly like this. It happened to me last season right at shoot time. A whole boat load of dudes thought my dekes were actual ducks just chillin' as they drove towards them. Fortunately I yelled at them in time and didn't get my dekes shot up...