Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alarm system recommendations

Alarm system recommendations

As the title states I need some recommendations from folks who currently or recently have had an alarm system. I have looked up reviews for most of the major offerings and it seems to be a mixed bag, so I turn to you my fellow SGN'ers for a recommendation.

I am normally not to concerned as I work from home most days and I have really big loud dogs that scare the bejesus out of most random door knockers. With that being said break-in's are on the rise in my area and I would feel better knowing the alarm is on and keeping asshole dickweed lawbreakers away from my house. I am also considering fire protection as well.

It would be helpful to know;

Terms; I assume you sign up for a certain amount of time?

Fees; what are you spending monthly?

Service; Has it been good with our company?

Incidents; Tell me about how your alarm scared off the bad guys or saved your house from burning down etc.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Alarm system recommendations

I have Protect America. It's a self-installed kit. I think I paid $100 for the kit and signed a 3 year contract. Monitoring is $47 per month.

if I had it to do over again, I'd just go with ADT or Brinks.

i also have a self install kit with add on sensors and cameras its cheep and easy to expand. when tripped ic calles pre programed numbers in my case my folks and friends and gives them a little msg so they can take action. dont remember the name but i got it outta sportsmans guide i think the night cameras work great to it was around 300 for the unit a couple motion sensors and 2 cameras
    1911 because it does in 7 what takes a glock 13

I use alarm.com. Its gsm based and so no phone lines to cut. Also has iphone app or web login.
    They have an easy install kit but i bought my own ge concorde panel and installed it. Spent 700$ and i own the system with no contract.

Cheaper to go adt and such and pay extra with contract for free install...

service is good. Had a few false alarms (my fault) and they called right away

Ranger

Of course, Brinks because Broadview, which was then bought by ADT.

I have an ADT system. Nothing fancy, sensors on all the doors, and a motion sensor inside.

The word from my sheriff buddy is monitoring is pointless. Get the loudest siren you can and have it mounted outside. Your neighbors calling 911 will get the cops there WAY faster than any monitoring system.

Banned

Comcast offers security that i have heard is pretty decent.

Thanks for all the replies. I will check out some of the different companies mentioned.

ask your cop buddy what he knows about Sonitrol.....my bet is he will tell you something different

Quote Originally Posted by Afecks View Post

The word from my sheriff buddy is monitoring is pointless. Get the loudest siren you can and have it mounted outside. Your neighbors calling 911 will get the cops there WAY faster than any monitoring system.
    Truth is a torch that shines through the fog without dispelling it. Always be true to your work, your word, & your friends, & you will never live a day without peace

Thanks for this thread Pezz. I have ADT installed all around my house now. Been there a year and have no clue how to work it or get it connected, I think I will look into now. Thanks for the motivation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadi View Post
    If you guys are swapping meat, OhShoot is definitely interested.

Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by landpimp View Post
    ask your cop buddy what he knows about Sonitrol.....my bet is he will tell you something different
    His point was that with monitoring systems, they call you to rule out a false alarm before they dispatch police.