Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma Sportsmen's Club

Tacoma Sportsmen's Club

Not really sure which section this should be in but here goes anyway.

I went with a buddy to Tacoma Sportsmen's Club today to sight in a new scope. On the bench next to me was a kid with a brand new m&p 15, still had the original box and paper work out on the table. One of the range safeties is telling him all about his new gun and had taken it apart and put it back together, no idea why, I was busy shooting.

While i'm waiting for the range to go cold, the kid racks his first ever round thru his new gun. Click. Hammer drops but no bang. Of course both of the range safeties are all over it. They try to open the bolt and it is stuck so the rso starts banging the butt on the bench while pulling on the charging handle. Then the other rso holds the gun so they can use the blocks of wood like a hammer and punch to beat on the charging handle. The guy I was with stepped in and tried to tell them they are making it worse and to just separate the lower from the upper but the rso insists that this wont work because the bolt is in the way and wont let the two come apart.

The wood blocks didn't work so they got a mallet and sure as hell, the charging handle broke off on like the second or third hit. So they took it apart and the firing pin fell out. Almost simultaneously we say, it was put together wrong. The rso that put it together instantly goes on the defensive, saying that he has so much experience with the ar platform and has never put one together wrong. Well my experience says that after you reassemble an M4 or any version of an M4, you do a functions check. Had the rso done this, i'm sure they would have figured out there was a problem before they got a live round stuck in the chamber. Experience, and common sense also dictate that you put the gun on safe before you handle it, especially trying to clear a malfunction. It was on fire until my buddy pointed this out AFTER they took it apart.

The kid and his mom ended up leaving with the upper and lower separated and the bolt was still stuck so we never got o see what what wrong, but my guess is the cotter pin the holds the firing pin is jamming up the bolt carrier.
    If I would have broke someone's gun, I might have been apologetic and offered to pay the repair bill. This kid got no such offer or even an apology. Although, I did hear someone tell them, on their way out, to take it to a gunsmith to figure out why it malfunctioned and if it is determined that it was the fault of one of the rso's, to send the repair bill to the club.

This was my first time at this place and I wasn't impressed with the quality of the help. That being said, its cheap and the facilities look pretty good. I'm still considering getting a membership.
    Of course, the range safeties there will never ever touch my gun.

SGN Prince of Puyallup zombie66's Avatar

Re: Tacoma Sportsmen's Club

They are complete fucking idiots sorrry for my language but this shit really pisses me off, this is the same club where Mr.I know everything had a ND within about an inch from hitting his wrist then starts sayin "I didnt even have my finger on the trigger" Really genius then how did go BANG! during a cold range? Im sorry but some of these goddam RSOs are a fucking joke and they are there for my safety..........I dont think so.

Rant over carry on
    Quote Originally Posted by sinus211 View Post
    Jesus fuck. Orion I've stood up for you on many occasions, from nonsense 9mm bouncing off insurgents to downtown Seattle security guard "I am the law" rants. As respectfully as this can possibly be said, go shove a pineapple up your ass.

Expert Marksman

That place sucks, I would give up shooting before going back there. The last time I went there the guy in the wheelchair made a huge issue because I put range fee money on the counter before signing in. I was taking a friend along and wanted to pay his range fee. I knew he would try to pay mine so I was trying to beat him to it. The range guy was yelling and spewing spit while insisting that I needed to pick the money up from the counter and put it away until we were signed in. I have never been there when the guy was not making a huge issue out of something silly. I am all for safety and have no problems with a rso yelling over a safety issue. Being a jackass just for the sake of being a jackass seems to be the order of the day around there.

Join Paul Bunyon if you want to belong to a range in that area, just south of 176th on Meridian, west side of the road. It is a much nicer facility at about the same price and may even be a little cheaper. It is a friendly group there and no TSC drama.

Too bad about the youngster's gun, it sounds highly likely they are the ones who fucked it up.
    "America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit."

-- Sen. Barack Obama, March 16, 2006

Puyallup, where kids kill kids with frying pans

Those guys don't know shit aboot ar's or Ak's, they look down on them. They all act like drunk sister fuckers.

"Drunk Sister Fuckers"
    "Life isn't all Burritos and Strippers" - William Jefferson Clinton

NRA Life Member

having a bit of trouble understanding how the RSO messed up the rifle.. putting in an AR bolt is so simple and it can only go in one way that I'm not sure I understand how he could have messed up the cotter pin unless you are saying he took the bolt and bolt carrier apart... and put it in wrong... that is hard to do as well...

so many unknowns here though so I'm not passing judgement... still possible they were to blame but I somehow don't understnad how a user can induce such an error...

was he shooting steel ammo? a smaller spec chamber and steel ammo could the bolt to not go fully into battery...

they should have tried to separate the upper and lower first though... that's the reason for the design.... also removes the trigger hammer from the equation and reduce risk of accidental discharge...

I tried putting in my bolt wrong and there is no way I could get that charging handle in there if it wasn't done right... not saying it can't be done...

would be interesting to find out what happened... just for future knowledge

going back to TSC, there's a members range out to 100 yards or so that has no RSO but members police themselves... worth the membership if you don't need the 225yards

member's pistol range also should be open in november heard...

Puyallup, where kids kill kids with frying pans

I'm thinking said drunk sister fucker didn't put the cotter pin in, I'd look at my ar but the wife is still sleeping. From what I'm visualizing in my head that is the problem or the extractor is jacked up. I don't know meow. I do know that i wouldnt let wheelchair willy beat on my gun. Too bad he isn't a member here.
    Last edited by mediumrarechicken; 10-13-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Is there enough room for the cam pin to fly out inside the upper? Also, without the cotter pin...the cam pin could rotate and tweak the firing pin...possibly snap it and then you just have a pile or BCG parts in the upper...I still think you should be able to pop the pins and get the gun apart...maybe not from the back but from the front...fuckin snozberry....
    "Life isn't all Burritos and Strippers" - William Jefferson Clinton

NRA Life Member

Just dont see why anybody would remove the cotter pin to begin with unless he was detail strip cleaning.

So i doubt that was the case... I rarely remove mine i just field stripping but i may be the exception...

I still think its steel cased ammo and shipping oil gumming up the chamber... New in box means it was never cleaned...

I don't know why the gun malfunctioned, but I do know those RO's at Tacoma sportsman club are self-important, pencil-dicked assholes.