Thread: Up coming gun laws We need to take action!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Up coming gun laws We need to take action!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Washington: Your State Legislators MUST Hear from You TODAY

Pressure is building in Olympia to pass House Bill 1588, which is a bill that could criminalize private transfers of firearms and lead to handgunregistration. It is absolutely imperative for your state legislators to hear from you TODAY.
    Yesterday, House Bill 1588 was heard by the House Judiciary Committee. Sponsored by state Representatives Jamie Pederson (D-43), Mike Hope (R-44) and thirty-six other state representatives, HB 1588 could criminalizeall private sales of firearms. This bill mandates a $20 fee (tax) to conduct a background check. All private firearm sales would be required to be brokered by licensed gun dealers and it is unlikely that $20 would cover their cost. A likely outcome is dealers refusing to process these transactions, potentially bringing all legal private firearm sales to a halt.
    HB 1588 is unworkable in its current form, as it conflicts with federal law. Furthermore, if it was able to be implemented as drafted, it would create a database of all privately sold handguns since ALL dealer handgun deliveries are registered with the state.
    This bill is nothing more than a regulatory scheme that would create a huge burden for law-abiding citizens, would be unenforceable and would be ignored by criminals anyway. It is truly nothing more than a precursor to Universal Firearm REGISTRATION! For more information on this misguided measure, please see our previous report.
    HB 1588 is scheduled for vote in the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, February 19 at 10:00 a.m. The contact information for committee members is provided below.
    Also heard yesterday was House Bill 1676, sponsored by state Representative Ruth Kagi (D-32) and thirteen other state representatives. This so-called “child access prevention” bill would single out the storage of firearms for criminalization under certain circumstances. Today, fatal firearms accidents are at an all-time low and are at the bottom of the list of causes of accidental harm to children.
    Washington’s current reckless endangerment statute already provides a remedy to address the rare incident of negligent storage and, more significantly, there is a civil remedy available that provides for civil action by the parents of a minor child who is injured or killed.
    Please contact your state Representatives and state Senator TODAY and urge them to oppose HB 1588 and HB 1676 and all other attacks on your Second Amendment Rights! To find your elected officials and their contact information, please click here. You may also contact your state Senator and Representatives by calling the toll-free legislative hotline at 1-800-562-6000.
    The latest attack on law-abiding gun owners comes in the form of a ban on so-called “assault weapons” and magazines that hold more than ten rounds. Senate Bill 5737, just introduced by state Senators Ed Murray (D-43) and Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D-36), would ban the sale of commonly owned semi-automatic firearms. This bill would ban the manufacture, transfer, possession, purchase and sale of firearms arbitrarily defined as “assault weapons”, semi-automatic firearms commonly owned by law-abiding citizens for self-defense, based on mainly cosmetic features!
    SB 5737 would also ban the possession of any semiautomatic firearm along with a magazine that holds more than ten rounds. A violation of these, and other provisions listed in the bill, is a class C felony. Owners of these firearms could keep them IF they subjected themselves to annual in-home inspections by law enforcement and complied with stringent and impractical storage and transportation requirements.
    Your NRA-ILA will continue to keep you informed on these and other important bills. Thank you for continuing to contact your state lawmakers - they must hear from you now!
    House Judiciary Committee:
    Representative Jamie Pedersen (D-43), Chairman
    (360) 786-7826
    jamie.pedersen@leg.wa.gov

Representative Drew Hansen (D-23), Vice Chairman
    (360) 786-7842
    drew.hansen@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jay Rodne (R-5)
    (360) 786-7852
    jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov

Representative Steve O'Ban (R-28)
    (360) 786-7890
    steve.oban@leg.wa.gov

Representative Roger Goodman (D-45)
    (360) 786-7878
    roger.goodman@leg.wa.gov

Representative Mike Hope (R-44)
    (360) 786-7892
    mike.hope@leg.wa.gov

Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27)
    (360) 786-7930
    laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov

Representative Steve Kirby (D-29)
    (360) 786-7996
    steve.kirby@leg.wa.gov

Representative Brad Klippert (R-8)
    (360) 786-7882
    brad.klippert@leg.wa.gov

Representative Terry Nealey (R-16)
    (360) 786-7828
    terry.nealey@leg.wa.gov

Representative Tina Orwall (D-33)
    (360) 786-7834
    tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov

Representative Mary Helen Roberts (D-21)
    (360) 786-7950
    maryhelen.roberts@leg.wa.gov

Representative Matt Shea (R-4)
    (360) 786-7984
    matt.shea@leg.wa.gov

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Re: Up coming gun laws We need to take action!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgindlesperger View Post
    If you had a gun on your side a kid could gets his hands on it, turn it into an assault rifle and cause a ten megaton blast of an area where kids play with unicorns.

Feedback Score

Saw that on PNW guns Copied my response over..

Here is the email list.. you can all copy and paste:

jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov;
    jamie.pedersen@leg.wa.gov;
    drew.hansen@leg.wa.gov;
    roger.goodman@leg.wa.gov;
    steve.oban@leg.wa.gov;
    mike.hope@leg.wa.gov;
    laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov;
    steve.kirby@leg.wa.gov;
    brad.klippert@leg.wa.gov;
    terry.nealey@leg.wa.gov;
    tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov;
    maryhelen.roberts@leg.wa.gov;
    matt.shea@leg.wa.gov

Here is my letter:

Good evening,

I'm a voter, and would like to take a moment of your time to tell you my thoughts on bills 1588, 1676 and 5737.

I wanted to relate on a personal level for just a moment. I am a real person.. Not a statistic. I am, and have been a washingtonian all my life. I grew up in amboy wa. My dad lived here most of his life as well. He was blown up in vietnam and lost both legs and the use of his right eye.

Despite his challenges he taught me to hunt, fish and protect myself.. He was my cub scout leader. He was my hunter safety instructor (I got my license at age 8). He has taught many many of my friends and family to shoot and respect guns throughout my entire life. This is a tradition I keep up today. I am a gun owner, and a proponent of responsible gun safety and gun ownership.

I urge you not to take my rights away based on the actions of criminals. People who own, and use guns illegally now have the possibility of infringing on my rights. I have believed these rights to be undeniable since I was 5. I now see the sentiment and anger across our country.. I have many relationships both with friends and family that have suffered in this current political climate.

I truly believe if we start governing and legislating based on the worst in our society.. We will loose what made our country great. Diversity.

PLEASE hear the hearts and minds of voters who still believe our country and our state to be a very very special place. Please protect us from reactive legislation.

Thank you so much for all you do, and thank you for your time.

Very Sincerely
    Josh Bxxx

Seattle, wa 98103
    206 xxx xxxx

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Hey Sunofun, I sent out a slightly edited version of your letter to portrait my personal story, I hope you do not mind:

Good evening,

I'm a voter, and would like to take a moment of your time to tell you my thoughts on bills 1588, 1676 and 5737.

I wanted to relate on a personal level for just a moment. I am a real person.. Not a statistic. I am, and have been a Washingtonian for 30 years of my life. I grew up in the Tacoma and Steilacoom area's of Western, WA. All of my family members are veterans and have served active duty tours ranging from WWII to the current military actions in the Middle East.

I was taught to shoot and respect guns throughout my entire life by these members of the military. This is a tradition I keep up today. I am a gun owner, and a proponent of responsible gun safety and gun ownership. The proposals in House bills 1588, 1676, and 5737 in my humble opinion are violations of my rights and of the very Constitution upon which each of you have sworn to uphold ,the very Constitution upon which this Great Country was founded and built.

I urge each of you to consider your position in these matters and address the true issues facing this state and country. Not to take my rights away based on the actions of criminals. I have believed in these rights to be undeniable since I first spoke the words of the Pledge of Allegiance in first grade.

I truly believe if we start governing and legislating based on the worst in our society.. We will loose what made our country great. Diversity.

PLEASE hear the hearts and minds of voters who still believe in our country and our state to be a very special place. Please protect us from reactive legislation.

Thank you so much for all you do, and thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Feedback Score

right on! I don't mind at all..

It might fall on deaf ears.. but if we can give some ammo to the reps that support the 2nd amendment maybe our real stories could help as they're out on the floor "staying in the fight"