Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy just joining looking to get into an ar

Shooter
    Feedback Score

New guy just joining looking to get into an ar

Hey guys a friend from work was telling me about this forum a month or so ago and I just now remembered the name. Well I shot a S&W m&p ar15 yesterday, it was the first time I had shot an ar. I loved it so now I am looking into buying one. I am hoping to stay around the $1300 price range. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. One of the guys we were shooting with had an adcor ar15 which had a forend charge lever which seemed slick. I had thought about building one up but finding all the parts may be impossible now-a-days.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Re: New guy just joining looking to get into an ar

welcome jawsome

just don't buy into the hype

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalAssault View Post
    Instead of complaining about a free site why don't you try reading the fucking board announcements and the reference section.
    Somewhere in kenya a village is missing it's idiot!!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Yes, like Cmica said, don't succumb to this bullshit hysteria. Good luck however on your search, won't be easy to find that M&P for that price right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadi View Post
    If you guys are swapping meat, OhShoot is definitely interested.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

If your thinking about building you can learn that stuff for free online, and buy stuff as you go. The easy way to think about it is to just build your complete lower half first, however you want it. Then you can look around and buy an upper that is already built for you. You just snap the two together.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Welcome. If you wait a bit the hype will die down and prices will start to drop, they are starting to drop a little now but if you wait a little while longer they will drop more as AR`s are starting to show up in gun shops a little more here and there. Hell yesterday I found 2-308 AR`s and several 5.56 AR`s in a couple gun stores and I wasn`t even looking. Stay away from Armslist people are ripping each other off there. I am in the same boat I am looking to build a couple AR`s but because I was around for the 94 crime bill I know I just have to wait it out and the prices will come back down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Just say no to Gunbroker. Another ripoff clusterfugg website. Good thing you werent trying to do this 2 months ago. One Pmag was fetching upwards of 50 bucks due to the "PANIC". If, of course, if you could find them.

You can wait a bit longer if you like for the panic prices to die down. Maybe start accrueing parts for a build. There are some good used parts that pop up on here from time to time.

Last edited by WAGlockFan; 03-02-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    Support autism awareness, check out www.autismspeaks.org

and support our warriors at www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Shooter
    Feedback Score

I am leaning more and more towards building one now. Is there any big differences in lowers from brand to brand or is it just the quality of the finish?

There was a guy from work that did the panic buy and spent $4500 on ammo and mags in 3 days.

Patrolman
    Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

My .02 is to buy a gun that has been factory assembled so you know the fit and finish is good. Im not a fan of franken guns for several reasons. Yes i understand that it can be done but i dont see much for real savings if thats a factor. Especially right now the parts are tough to come by where as whole guns are showing back up in the $1000++ range.

If someone is getting rid of thier uber cool, exactly as i want it franken gun then i have to question why. I think at times is cause it dont work and they are passing along thier problems.

Good luck, get to a group shoot and test drive what you can. There are lots out there and aside from some feature differences they are all pretty similar. One primary feature you may want to think about is wheather this first one is gonna be a distance gun or a CQB model. You will be happier if you find the right model for the job you are trying to do

Now thats a gun!!

Marksman
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There a guy on here selling an m&p 15 for around that price.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)