Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggest moving advertising

Patrolman
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Re: Suggest moving advertising

In your spare time....

These guys have full time jobs, families, obligations....

Ranger
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by |Chaz| View Post
    Why would you use adblock plus on this website? It takes away revenue from the owner. I wouldn't take away revenue from a close-knit site such as this one. It's just general asshattery.
    You're presuming that the advertisers are paying per impression. Do you actually know this, or are you just guessing? They could also be paying per click, or per month, regardless of how many impressions or clicks the banners generate. Hell, for that matter, the destination websites could be parsing their server logs to look for REFERER=seattleguns.net in the http requests, tracking those sessions, then giving the site a commission on any purchases site visitors make.

My point is there's more than one financial model for banner placement. Unless you know what model this site is using, get off your high horse about people using ad blockers.

Banned
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I'd like free cinnamon rolls and warm milk befor bed as well....... Oh and for crusader to build a wooden SGN coffee table. Guess the shit in my hand is winning over wants..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't like the color of the site, the name, the font or even most of the members. Can you please fix them? Thanks! Juuust kiddding. I do not have an issue with the advertisement over the login on my computer or mobile phone....sounds like it is a lone issue?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bagaja2011 View Post
    i do pay money on here it should be easy for me right?
    LOL at a member that voluntarily pays money to a website for which he feels needs to change.

It seems to me, many of the replies are based solely on the devotion members have of the website, and they want to defend it. I truly do wish that suggestion threads were created (and responded to) by members who have a working knowledge of programming languages.

As someone who is fluent in html, php, and asp, I'm curious as to what these "common" settings are in your browsing that you are referring to. Would you be so kind to enlighten me?

Massive, I understand what you were trying to do, but realize that these forums are produced using PHP. When you view the source, you are seeing only the front end (HTML), which is the only thing sent to the browser. The server processes the PHP code in the background and sends the browsing the resulting HTML code. This is one of the reason you cannot copy and paste the source code and create a duplicate website, you would be missing all the backend (In Vbulletin's case, PHP) information.

I wish I knew more about this specific website and how it's coded, I might be able to come up with a solution for everyone.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There's probably a few of us here that build web sites and systems for a living. I bet most of us agree that cross-browser, cross-device & window sizing testing is one of the more annoying pain points. Just yesterday I had a QA/tester tell me the test automation framework using IE8 didn't display the site correctly but the IE8 standalone app does. WTF?

I've never run a vBulletin site, I imagine it can be pretty l limiting despite it's powerful feature set. The site works for me at my display size and I've set AdBlock (which along with Ghostery I consider mandatory for web browsing) to off for SGN - the ads are innocuous here.

I like seeing the site suggestions, it means people are passionate about this site and I'm also thankful to the owner and mods for the great site they keep up and humming along.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776, Jefferson Papers 344.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Massive, I understand what you were trying to do, but realize that these forums are produced using PHP. When you view the source, you are seeing only the front end (HTML), which is the only thing sent to the browser. The server processes the PHP code in the background and sends the browsing the resulting HTML code. This is one of the reason you cannot copy and paste the source code and create a duplicate website, you would be missing all the backend (In Vbulletin's case, PHP) information.

I could have easily created a <div><table><tr><td> for each the entire thing, but it looks to me like there is some sort of ad module installed that modifies the overall_header. This is probably accessible via the backend.

I posted the code up because I know Brandon would know where I was going with it... We kinda created another site together with a lot of crack....er.. custom coding.

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!
    Want an affordable cell phone plan with great coverage? Look no further, click HERE!