Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to go camping within 100 miles of Seattle-Tacoma?

Re: Where to go camping within 100 miles of Seattle-Tacoma?

Rainier National Park is awesome. No shooting, but has everything else you want. I'll give some details later when I have a keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by IRackNBack View Post
    snip/ suck at navigation. Thanks.
    Did you flunk out of WLC? Or does the "new" wussified Army not teach land nav anymore? Patriot missile MOS version of land nav: "Just follow the LT in front, what could go wrong?" (507th Maintenance Company)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/507th_Maintenance_Company

Puyallup, where kids kill kids with frying pans

I have a portable propane fire pit, but my parents still have it( they are figuring out which one of the two that they have that they want). If I get it before you leave ill let you borrow it. Let me know.

Lake Easton in Snoqualmie Pass. Its nearby Forestry land that you can go shooting (maybe), has water, great views, loads of hiking trails in the area that are in the campground or others a short drive away like snoqualmie falls, iron horse trail, snoqualmie tunnel or hiking up the ski slopes and possibly find stuff they dropped during season.

I've car camped Rainier a couple of times over the last month. If you have never been, then you have to experience it at least once. It's relatively close as well. The views are excellent.

Cougar Rock campground will show up as reserved on the net, but I found multiple options on E loop and the road units on very busy weekends. You just have to go there and look at the actual tags marked on site. The sites are nice and you can have a fire. No generators allowed on E loop. The campground is secure and the Wonderland trail can be accessed directly off site. This trail literally goes forever. You also have the option to backpack camp along the trail in designated areas.

Further up North East by hike or vehicle is Paradise. Paradise will be packed with people. You just have to give it a few minutes for a parking space, or maybe you get lucky right off. The views are absolutely gorgeous!

Just over the other side of the lodge is Paradise Valley. Another beautiful sight and great hiking available. Just search some photos on the net. Continue on and you come across Reflection lake, which also can be found along the way from Wonderland trail coming from Cougar Rock. There are trails everywhere! There's a trail across the road at Reflection where you may see some wildlife, such as a Marpat or a Goat. I don't remember the name exactly, something Peak. I saw some very nice size Trout in Reflection Lake, but it can't be fished. I could see them jumping in Louis Lake as well, and that can be fished. I never did any fishing though (even though I had a rod in my pack at all times).

There is a great campground about 20 miles East from the Lakes called Ohanapecosh. I found there to be more easily available sites compared to Cougar Frock, and many are right on the river. The road down the mountain from Paradise is spectacular. It makes me feel tiny (like an ant). It's like driving along side the Grand Canyon of the Northern Cascades. This campground has Silver Falls trail and also has the Grove of the Patriarchs nearby. Box Canyon is about half way between there and the Reflection Lakes. This side of the mountain can also be accessed from 410 and then you can explore up over the mountain from that side.

I didn't explore the North White River side to the park (I drove in, but that was it). I'm sure it's just as interesting. Along 410 there are optional campgrounds leading up to the park.

I recommend Rainier, especially if you or your sister have never been. It really is paradise and your sister will really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Urban X; 08-22-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Marksman

if Ranier doesn't neet your needs...

go to the Olympic peninsula- stay in Dosiwallips state park, just south of Brinnon on Hwy 101. Drive the multitude of forest and logging roads (go to REI for some good maps beforehand), the Quilcene USFS ranger district has a forest roads report online too. enjoy the views, and if you're lucky you might find one of the locals' shooting pits up in the hills.
    Last edited by AndreS; 08-22-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Big Quill Lookout used to be a fave.

Dosiwallups State Park. Hahahahaha
    The roads up used to be rough. Had a VW Bug with truck tires on the back.
    After we left, went to a friends house in Quillicine.
    Went to leave and it wouldn't start.
    Figured the battery cables needed a jiggle.
    Battery was GONE! Two broken cables pointed to the hole under the seat.
    Battery bounced out the bottom of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreS View Post

go to the Olympic peninsula- stay in Dosiwallips state park, just south of Brinnon on Hwy 101.
    NRA Life Member
    Hillary for Prison, 2016

Marksman

so i'm not a good resource for this crap....

I'm a big fan of the North Cascades campgrounds.
    Just remember....when seconds count, the police are 15 to 20 minutes away...
    That's why I have a Walther PPS (9MM), FN 5.7, FN SCAR-L 16, Ed Brown Kobra Carry (1911 .45), Ruger GP100 (.38 or .357), Remington 700 (.308), Kel Tec KSG

that is one really cool place, we drove thru there last year, talk about well kept and you can not beat the location

Quote Originally Posted by vintageearl View Post
    Granite Falls area has killer camping plus the ice caves. Mountain loop road
    Truth is a torch that shines through the fog without dispelling it. Always be true to your work, your word, & your friends, & you will never live a day without peace