Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Awoke to gunshots in Spanaway at 430 am!

Re: Awoke to gunshots in Spanaway at 430 am!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossiman View Post
    I hope your joking. JFC
    If not, your not the brightest tool in the tool shed are ya... Your not a cop, so don't act like one.
    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    When you spend a year in Afghanistan receiving contact every day and develop un instinctual second nature to running towards gunfire, please by all means tell me how I can turn that off.

Quote Originally Posted by 173d_Combat_Vet View Post
    When you spend a year in Afghanistan receiving contact every day and develop un instinctual second nature to running towards gunfire, please by all means tell me how I can turn that off.
    Please tell me how driving around on "patrol" is a good idea.

Many have been in the same predicament and most do NOT do what you said/did... This isn't Afghanistan and your not a cop. This is CONUS where your actions have potential consequences... Doing what you described is a guranteed trip to the slammer if you would have shot him.

Last edited by Rossiman; 08-22-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    100% Feedback with 15+ Transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by richdkim View Post
    Please tell me how driving around on "patrol" is a good idea.
    It wasn't a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossiman View Post
    Many have been in the same predicament and most do NOT do what you said/did... This isn't Afghanistan and your not a cop. This is CONUS where your actions have potential consequences... Doing what you described is a guranteed trip to the slammer if you would have shot him.

I don't shoot anyone unless my life is in immediate danger. Had I found someone who I suspected was responsible I would have called it into the authorities and not engaged, as I said before.

You can't generalize everyone who has been in combat by what everyone else is doing. It effects everyone differently. I'm ok for most of the time. When I hear gunshots my attention shifts and automatically judge if its a treat, if threat is nearby then the action switch flicks on and it's go time.
    Last night was close enough that it was involuntary. That is what I'm talking about. Trying to talk someone out of muscle memory training doesn't happen. The actions happen without thinking about what your doing, it just happens.
    Last edited by 173d_Combat_Vet; 08-23-2013 at 12:41 AM.

After talking with neighbors today we think we know what house it was, the house in suspicion is about 200-250 feet away from my house and the shots were fired outdoors.

It should be like a porch light switch. Turn it on when you need it, other than that keep it off. IF you can't you need to learn to turn it off or it will bite you in the ass state side. Combat is suppose to teach you that you are not bullet proof or immortal. Last thing you want is someone mistaking you for a bad guy.

Throwing on gear and going out is more than muscle memory. Muscle memory is pulling SPORTS or remembering to butt-an-hook a corner.

This isn't an attack on you by any means. Just some friendly advise as to not see you screw up now that you are back home. I would suggest some civilian firearms training from one of the well know places out there on top of your military training. It will teach you to blend what the Infantry has taught you, and how to adapt a civilian "tactical/ practical" mindset. Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, and Front Site are great schools on the west coast to save the pennies up for. You need to reprogram your software. This will add value to what you are teaching in your classes as well.

I went into these schools with an open mind and I took what I needed from them and adapted it to my combat experience and training. Remember you are a civilian now, and need to change your ROE.
    Last edited by Army203; 08-23-2013 at 03:26 AM.
    Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.
    Mickey Mouse for President 2016 (Ind) give the big eared fucker a chance.

enough arguing..............I think we can all agree Y'all need to move to a better neighborhood!
    Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

view my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Army203 View Post
    It should be like a porch light switch. Turn it on when you need it, other than that keep it off. IF you can't you need to learn to turn it off or it will bite you in the ass state side. Combat is suppose to teach you that you are not bullet proof or immortal. Last thing you want is someone mistaking you for a bad guy.

Throwing on gear and going out is more than muscle memory. Muscle memory is pulling SPORTS or remembering to butt-an-hook a corner.

This isn't an attack on you by any means. Just some friendly advise as to not see you screw up now that you are back home. I would suggest some civilian firearms training from one of the well know places out there on top of your military training. It will teach you to blend what the Infantry has taught you, and how to adapt a civilian "tactical/ practical" mindset. Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, and Front Site are great schools on the west coast to save the pennies up for. You need to reprogram your software. This will add value to what you are teaching in your classes as well.

I went into these schools with an open mind and I took what I needed from them and adapted it to my combat experience and training. Remember you are a civilian now, and need to change your ROE.
    I understand where you coming from. The training we do teaches these principals, shots were close enough i felt immediate danger and I just over reacted.

I was also a Rigger that got put in a combat job downrange working with and training the ANA. Had duties inside and outside the wire.
    Last edited by 173d_Combat_Vet; 08-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Puyallup, where kids kill kids with frying pans

You gotta slow down dude, I don't want someone from here getting zimmerman'd because they over reacted.