Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get more kids to graduate high school? "eliminate math"

Re: How to get more kids to graduate high school? "eliminate math"

Put them on a corner selling drugs.
    Great incentive to improve their maf skills to 100%.
    The count or money is usually only off once.
    Last edited by GunTrader; 08-23-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    Hillary for Prison, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by huskylawyer View Post
    Good point and I agree completely.

I'm not sure about the "citizens" versus visa issue, but I believe some of those schools got some bad publicity when they tried to reign in student visas beause they realized it just let in a bunch of Asian students. I know in the California upper education school system (Berkley, UCLA, Stanford, Cal Tech, etc.), there is the "us versus them" mentality going on between Asian and Non-asian students.

I personally embrace the "asian way" of doing things when it comes to education (that's racist!! sue me). But with that said, I think a healthy does of street smarts goes a loooooong way to becoming a successful person in the U.S. I've met too many braniacs wtih no life skills whatsoever.
    I get some of it as my wife is half Japanese, but 3rd generation. There isn't any of the stereotypical, "You must get straight A's or you will have shamed the family and will eventually become a deeply tanned peasant" stuff in her family. As a matter of fact there are some real lazy folks on her Japanese side of the family.

When I was in college I saw the "barely can speak English yet gets a 4.0" quite a bit so perhaps it's anecdotal evidence.
    Douché: Pronounced "do-shay" and used like "touché", but in reply to something done or said that's utterly douchetastic e.g. "Wow, you went and did a selfie in the spray tan booth. Douché!"

I would keep the math, when I was in high school I understood why i was taking math...I could not understand why I was required to take 2 years of spanish when that time could have been used on math, science, etc.

Tactical Operator

Here's the fix.

1. Short term and only CRITICAL LIFE/DEATH NEED welfare. NO additional money for extra children. Flat $ amount, WIC style food stamps and debit card for utilities etc.
    2. Tough love policies. Sorry, we don't give anything away anymore.
    3. Mandatory sterilization and drug testing for handouts.

It'll suck for a generation, but we'll then get back on track.
    Never shop at Precise Shooter in Seattle. I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF x4. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.

People constantly whine about companies in the computer industries hiring a large amount of not US staff. This would not happen if the US schools held to the same standard....Plus math is of fucking everything...
    Dan G
    2nd place is just first loser

Math is not about knowing how to add..

It's about problem solving and being able to visualize the abstract...

It is basically a form of brain exercise... by practicing it you develop other skills....

Quote Originally Posted by nw-outlaw View Post
    I would keep the math, when I was in high school I understood why i was taking math...I could not understand why I was required to take 2 years of spanish when that time could have been used on math, science, etc.
    +1, im hispanic (according to govt.) and I have NO need to speak spanish or any foreign language in my everyday life. Math is a something I use everyday and I wish more focus would go into that subject, especially in the trades industry like rayjax pointed out. It baffles me to see "journeyman" who can't calculate a speed/feed to save their life.
    did you ever hear the philosophy that once a man admits that he's wrong that he is immediately forgiven for all wrongdoings? Have you ever heard that? Wanted: K31 Swiss

Shooter

Just to clarify some info:
    Student Visa at college level is difficult to obtain. It is IMPOSSIBLE to go to university without valid visa so there is no illegal immigrants. In fact, school need to notify Immigration if student have expired or invalid visa. Each school have very limited space for foreign student (student visa). Those foreign student just compete with each other for the limited space. You may see lot of Asian in certain school but only very few of them are on foreign student visa. Foreign student are to pay FULL/Inflated tution (anywhere from 3x to 10x of what u usually pay). They are not eligible for ANY grant and most of scholarship. They are not allow to work. One of requirement for student visa is proof of fiance to show you are able to pay tution and support yourself during school.....example would be a certified letter from US bank proving student have $100,000 cash readily available.
    Last edited by joel4sale; 08-23-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Marksman

If we just took math off the table for a diploma, all would be well... except that also eliminates science, engineering, business, economics.... and on, and on... So what would these geniuses actually be learning? other than languages, sports, or art? what would these children (of adult age,) with what's essentially a 3rd grade education, be able to do as a functioning member of our society? after having gone to 12 years of age based group day care.

I thought I had it tough in differential equations, advanced multivariable calculus and thermodynamics.

but they know who won 'american idol' and who some pop star is 'dating' this week.

'speshul'
    Last edited by AndreS; 08-25-2013 at 03:38 AM.

"So what would these geniuses actually be learning? other than languages, sports, or art? what would these children (of adult age,) with what's essentially a 3rd grade education, be able to do as a functioning member of our society? after having gone to 12 years of age based group day care."

Lemme see...
    Preachering, advertising, fashion, lawyering, agitating, advocating, teaching public school, writing law,counseling, romance novel regurgitating, acting, collecting welfare....

“Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best, he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear his shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.”

"The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship."

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion."

― Robert A. Heinlein
    The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." Robert Heinlein