Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Feedback Score

Re: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by oldkim View Post
    The experience of a good indoor range with rental guns is just that... Make full use of the experience. Rent the case. Plan to invest $100-200 for lane fee, rental fee and the vast majority will go to ammo. You can test out multiple calibers or if you know what caliber - the ability to focus on that caliber and see different gun makes and sizes. See what works for you. Don't short yourself by only investing $40-50... you limit yourself. Folks don't look at the experience. They are short sighted. Take a good half day and go enjoy all the models that that range may have to offer. Try them all. Revolvers, compact, mid... full size models.
    This is very helpful, thank you. I have a short list (that is now expanding thanks to you guys) of what I would like to shoot. I have never actually shot a 1911 (please don't tell anyone!) and would LOVE to try out a couple/few.

Feedback Score
    113 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmama View Post
    This is very helpful, thank you. I have a short list (that is now expanding thanks to you guys) of what I would like to shoot. I have never actually shot a 1911 (please don't tell anyone!) and would LOVE to try out a couple/few.
    When I have to do indoor ranges, I try to get a wall lane so I only have to contend with the possibility of fire coming from one direction.
    Many of the ranges have a "Lady's Night" (usually Tuesdays) on which they don't actually charge you a lane fee. Save you about 5% on the
    day like Oldkim recommends. ;>)

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

hehe Welcome to SGN Dogmama, These guys have provided some great advice but let me say 1911s are a woman's best friend. Most guys think they are too big for us, but really they are far easier to grasp and for me at least to rack the slide because I can get a real grip on it with both full hands and use the push&pull method. My husbands little .380 PPK/S is horrible for me to rack because I can't get a grip without covering the ejection port or using the finger pinchy grip (slingshot). Though 1911 as a carry gun think a nice carry purse or something as a 1911 is dang hard to hide unless you are an Amazon. I carry a 1911 in an awesome purse by "Concealed Carrie" she makes some nice looking bags. If you are one of those it will never leave my body types I suggest looking into something small enough to carry in a Flashbang holster, it straps to the center part of the bra and is really pretty comfortable and conceals well regardless of "fullness" of figure. THey make a number of different models for small semi-autos and revolvers. Good shooting and hope you find the perfect carry for you.

Last edited by Shavru; 09-17-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Shavru View Post
    hehe Welcome to SGN Dogmama, These guys have provided some great advice but let me say 1911s are a woman's best friend. Most guys think they are too big for us, but really they are far easier to grasp and for me at least to rack the slide because I can get a real grip on it with both full hands and use the push&pull method. My husbands little .380 PPK/S is horrible for me to rack because I can't get a grip without covering the ejection port or using the finger pinchy grip (slingshot). Though 1911 as a carry gun think a nice carry purse or something as a 1911 is dang hard to hide unless you are an Amazon. I carry a 1911 in an awesome purse by "Concealed Carrie" she makes some nice looking bags. If you are one of those it will never leave my body types I suggest looking into something small enough to carry in a Flashbang holster, it straps to the center part of the bra and is really pretty comfortable and conceals well regardless of "fullness" of figure. THey make a number of different models for small semi-autos and revolvers. Good shooting and hope you find the perfect carry for you.
    Thank you! One of my biggest complaints when I first got my XD was how difficult it was to rack. I've got my method down, but it took lots of practice. I'm afraid to shoot a 1911 because I think I will fall in love....I look at photos all day online. They are some sexy guns.
    I have not heard of Concealed Carrie but will check them out. I did find a purse I sort of like by Gun Totin' Mamas but it's a hundred bucks. I was also browsing the bra holsters. This hobby is expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by SAGELA View Post
    When I have to do indoor ranges, I try to get a wall lane so I only have to contend with the possibility of fire coming from one direction.
    Many of the ranges have a "Lady's Night" (usually Tuesdays) on which they don't actually charge you a lane fee. Save you about 5% on the
    day like Oldkim recommends. ;>)
    Good call on the wall lane. Is it much louder? I will look into Ladies Nights. Hopefully they do it all day so I can go when it's quiet.

Last edited by dogmama; 09-18-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

And don't worry. I don't scare easily ;)
    Give it some time. You'll either fit right in or have a psychotic break down.

I have never actually shot a 1911 (please don't tell anyone!) and would LOVE to try out a couple/few.
    I'm afraid to shoot a 1911 because I think I will fall in love....I look at photos all day online.

This hobby is expensive!

Good call on the wall lane. Is it much louder?
    You'd be surprised how many women fall in love with the 1911's. They are very easy to operate and have reduced recoil. Many 1911's come with nice triggers that are very light compared to some of the other firearms in the field.

You're right, this hobby is very expensive. I joke around with people when I say "this hobby is more expensive than drugs." But if you get heavily involved into this, you can find yourself dropping thousands of dollars into it.

If you are the only person next to a wall, then you should be fine. Most people try not to shoot next to another occupied lane. It's when those guys that have hand cannons or rifles come in and take a lane next to you, then it could get pretty loud. You can try muffs and ear plugs if it gets too loud.

"If somebody thinks that they can pick up the phone and dial 911, and the police are going to be there to save them; that's not the case. The police are going to be there to clean up the mess." - Police Chief Mark Kessler

Feedback Score
    113 (100%)

Thank you! One of my biggest complaints when I first got my XD was how difficult it was to rack. I've got my method down, but it took lots of practice. I'm afraid to shoot a 1911 because I think I will fall in love....I look at photos all day online. They are some sexy guns.
    I have not heard of Concealed Carrie but will check them out. I did find a purse I sort of like by Gun Totin' Mamas but it's a hundred bucks. I was also browsing the bra holsters. This hobby is expensive!

Good call on the wall lane. Is it much louder? I will look into Ladies Nights. Hopefully they do it all day so I can go when it's quiet.
    Wall lane can be a little louder; I plug and cover my ears when indoors.
    If your 1911 uses the std 16-18lb recoil spring, you can rack the slide by turning the gun over and scraping
    the sights against the seam on your jeans... one-handed... and the barrel always stays pointed downrange.
    DO practice this at home, not at a meet or an indoor range. ;>)
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.IMIsZkJDMV0 Cut and paste link to YouTube search for
    women's concealed carry options. Many brand names included.

Congrats on bringing one of our female members out of the woodwork!
    First bra holster I ever HEARD of was worn by a 110lb 23yr old in an
    all day outdoor defensive shooting class about 30 years ago. She hid a J-frame S&W .38 from us all day long.
    She had invented it and was trying to market it so at lunch she was networking with all of us or I'd never have known of it.

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Webster82 View Post
    Give it some time. You'll either fit right in or have a psychotic break down.

You'd be surprised how many women fall in love with the 1911's. They are very easy to operate and have reduced recoil. Many 1911's come with nice triggers that are very light compared to some of the other firearms in the field.

You're right, this hobby is very expensive. I joke around with people when I say "this hobby is more expensive than drugs." But if you get heavily involved into this, you can find yourself dropping thousands of dollars into it.

If you are the only person next to a wall, then you should be fine. Most people try not to shoot next to another occupied lane. It's when those guys that have hand cannons or rifles come in and take a lane next to you, then it could get pretty loud. You can try muffs and ear plugs if it gets too loud.

I'm hoping to not have psychotic break ;) I already feel like an outcast in the gun world since I'm not a Conservative (but who needs to open that can of worms when all that matters is that I'm pro-gun, right?).

I can't wait to shoot some 1911s. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love them.

And I didn't even think about people shooting rifles at the indoor range....that sucks. My range has a separate pistol range that does not allow the hand cannons which is nice. Had a guy start shooting one with no warning a couple lanes down from me and I almost dropped my pistol it startled me so badly. Hopefully I only need to go to an indoor range one time.

And thanks for coming out of hiding Shavru!

Last edited by dogmama; 09-18-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm hoping to not have psychotic break ;) I already feel like an outcast in the gun world since I'm not a Conservative (but who needs to open that can of worms when all that matters is that I'm pro-gun, right?).
    What? You're not a Conservative!?!?!?! Now I know you lost your mind

It really doesn't matter if you are Conservative or Liberal because our Rights in the Constitution weren't written to separate us, but to join us! If you're a packing liberal, then we need more people like you sharing that principle. And by all means, I would want to welcome a liberal to the gun world.

I can't wait to shoot some 1911s. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love them.
    Any ideas on what you'd like to shoot from the 1911 makers? We have some die hard 1911 fans on here that could give you some great pointers. I personally like the Springfield Armory 1911's.

Oh, and don't bring up the 1911 vs. Glock debate... You'll have you hands full then.

And I didn't even think about people shooting rifles at the indoor range....that sucks. My range has a separate pistol range that does not allow the hand cannons which is nice. Had a guy start shooting one with no warning a couple lanes down from me and I almost dropped my pistol it startled me so badly. Hopefully I only need to go to an indoor range one time.

And thanks for coming out of hiding Shavru!
    I had a few experiences shooting next to rifles on the indoor and it gets pretty damn loud. But whenever that happens, I pull out my SOCOM 16 and shut them up with one or two shots. The 7.62 round shuts down a lot of people on an indoor range. Too bad I a lot of ranges wont let you shoot it on the indoor ranges.

I had also experience a fat douchbag shooting a S&W 500 revolver in the lane next to me. Besides the fact that I almost shat myself when that thing went off, I was pissed to find out that it flew out of his hands behind us. It scared the living fuck out of me.

If you don't mind the drive, there is an outdoor range in Renton you can go to. Or, you can find one of those nice shooting pits and shoot some stuff there. The park rangers are closing more of those every year because some idiots don't know how to clean up after themselves.

"If somebody thinks that they can pick up the phone and dial 911, and the police are going to be there to save them; that's not the case. The police are going to be there to clean up the mess." - Police Chief Mark Kessler

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

http://championarms.com/ $12.50 for first shooter per lane $10.00 for each additional shooter per lane (limit of 3 per) Tuesday, ladies free when accompanied by a paying customer
    Wednesday
    Free Gun Rental (except S&W 500)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 69Cuda View Post
    http://championarms.com/ $12.50 for first shooter per lane $10.00 for each additional shooter per lane (limit of 3 per) Tuesday, ladies free when accompanied by a paying customer
    Wednesday
    Free Gun Rental (except S&W 500)
    I will be crossing my fingers for a Wednesday off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webster82 View Post
    What? You're not a Conservative!?!?!?! Now I know you lost your mind

It really doesn't matter if you are Conservative or Liberal because our Rights in the Constitution weren't written to separate us, but to join us! If you're a packing liberal, then we need more people like you sharing that principle. And by all means, I would want to welcome a liberal to the gun world.

Any ideas on what you'd like to shoot from the 1911 makers? We have some die hard 1911 fans on here that could give you some great pointers. I personally like the Springfield Armory 1911's.

Oh, and don't bring up the 1911 vs. Glock debate... You'll have you hands full then.

I had a few experiences shooting next to rifles on the indoor and it gets pretty damn loud. But whenever that happens, I pull out my SOCOM 16 and shut them up with one or two shots. The 7.62 round shuts down a lot of people on an indoor range. Too bad I a lot of ranges wont let you shoot it on the indoor ranges.

I had also experience a fat douchbag shooting a S&W 500 revolver in the lane next to me. Besides the fact that I almost shat myself when that thing went off, I was pissed to find out that it flew out of his hands behind us. It scared the living fuck out of me.

If you don't mind the drive, there is an outdoor range in Renton you can go to. Or, you can find one of those nice shooting pits and shoot some stuff there. The park rangers are closing more of those every year because some idiots don't know how to clean up after themselves.
    I like to think of myself as a pro-gun Liberal-type person with common sense and a brain. There are too many Liberal nut jobs out there so I label myself carefully.

I am drawn to Springfield & Sig 1911s....no idea why, but I just wasnt to try a few. I don't know enough about guns to debate anything but I do know that I have very little desire to own or shoot a Glock.

I have a range membership at TRRC so I can shoot whenever I want, I just need someone to share their guns with me :) And thankfully, they changed the rules on the pistol range so no more fucking Judges going off next to me without warning!