Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Re: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by dogmama View Post
    I will be crossing my fingers for a Wednesday off!!

I like to think of myself as a pro-gun Liberal-type person with common sense and a brain. There are too many Liberal nut jobs out there so I label myself carefully.

I am drawn to Springfield & Sig 1911s....no idea why, but I just wasnt to try a few. I don't know enough about guns to debate anything but I do know that I have very little desire to own or shoot a Glock.

I have a range membership at TRRC so I can shoot whenever I want, I just need someone to share their guns with me :) And thankfully, they changed the rules on the pistol range so no more fucking Judges going off next to me without warning!
    Welcome to the site! I think of myself in the same manner as you. For 1911, I just got my first one, the Ruger Sr1911. I like it a lot!

Feedback Score
    70 (100%)

And thankfully, they changed the rules on the pistol range so no more fucking Judges going off next to me without warning!
    I always double ear pro...foam ear plugs covered by ear muffs...

a .44mag with ports will be just as loud as a judge... and so will a 10mm/.40w

you'll eventually get used to it.. but double hearing protection is just good practice...

reminds me of the idiot at TSC who was shooting beside me while I put a few shots with my .44mag down range... I saw him flinch but it was a while before I realized he didn't even have foam ear plugs... I felt bad I offered him some of mine but another guy there beat me to it...

guns will be loud... actually a lot of flinching is not just recoil but also anticipating the bang... which is why a silencer tends to get your groups tighter as you don't flinch as much...

sorry for the off thread reply..

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Duke EB View Post
    Welcome to the site! I think of myself in the same manner as you. For 1911, I just got my first one, the Ruger Sr1911. I like it a lot!
    Glad to know there are others like me out there! I need to get my hands on some 1911s....

Quote Originally Posted by XDM9cWA View Post
    I always double ear pro...foam ear plugs covered by ear muffs...

a .44mag with ports will be just as loud as a judge... and so will a 10mm/.40w

you'll eventually get used to it.. but double hearing protection is just good practice...

reminds me of the idiot at TSC who was shooting beside me while I put a few shots with my .44mag down range... I saw him flinch but it was a while before I realized he didn't even have foam ear plugs... I felt bad I offered him some of mine but another guy there beat me to it...

guns will be loud... actually a lot of flinching is not just recoil but also anticipating the bang... which is why a silencer tends to get your groups tighter as you don't flinch as much...

sorry for the off thread reply..
    I will most definitely try double ear protection. I hadn't thought of that. If only silencers were easy to come by....

And I'm grabbing some snap caps this weekend for the range next week to work on my damn flinch (which I'm pretty sure is what's going on after thinking back to my last range time).

Where do you normally shoot XDM9cWA?

Last edited by dogmama; 09-19-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Feedback Score
    113 (100%)

We normally let him off with a warning.

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Feedback Score
    75 (100%)

I'm hoping to not have psychotic break ;) I already feel like an outcast in the gun world since I'm not a Conservative (but who needs to open that can of worms when all that matters is that I'm pro-gun, right?).

I can't wait to shoot some 1911s. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love them.

And I didn't even think about people shooting rifles at the indoor range....that sucks. My range has a separate pistol range that does not allow the hand cannons which is nice. Had a guy start shooting one with no warning a couple lanes down from me and I almost dropped my pistol it startled me so badly. Hopefully I only need to go to an indoor range one time.

And thanks for coming out of hiding Shavru!
    Pro gun is what really matters in the end. My wife knew nothing about guns and she at first liked the 9's but eventually she shot the revolvers and goes to them so like someone said, try all types. You'll find one that will feel right. After that, buy as much variety as possible.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams to Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts 1798

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SAGELA View Post
    LOL! Oh, the power of a comma.....oops!

Last edited by dogmama; 09-19-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SAGELA View Post
    I have to say that gave me a big laugh today... I promise I will behave... I like not being too ventilated... the gases that escape may make others turn around and leave the range...

Glad to know there are others like me out there! I need to get my hands on some 1911s....

LOL! Oh, the power of a comma.....oops!
    I am a member at TSC. I typically shoot there but prefer not to be shot if at all possible...

back on topic.. a ruger sr1911 is a great entry level 1911 with more than just entry level features...

it can be had for under 700$ out the door.

the trigger stock is decent, but a little gunsmith work (I'd recommend Fred at CAR firearms) and you have literally a gun that feels like it's much more expensive....

here's mine..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I don't hide per-se, It is more that I rarely have a chance to get here and even rarer that I have something worth saying LOL. I only use the PC late at night if I am suffering insomnia and hubby is asleep otherwise we have a no PC while we spend time together policy. It is tough only being married 26 years, we havent reached the part where we don't like spending time together in the evenings yet.

As for the 1911's My husband's Grandfather left him his WWII issued one, manufactered by a sewing machine company, Lol Singer. But for some reason he doesn't let me shoot that one so I made him buy me a nice Ruger almost identical to XDM9cWA's except mine is a Commander size (just slightly shorter 3/4" ) Probably my favorite gun, though my husbands PPK's are fun to shoot if he is at the range with me to rack them for me.

For cheap 1911's the Philippean and Turkish (RIA, American Classic, Armscor and Regent) ones are actually pretty good but for a little bit more the Ruger is a LOT more gun. I would be sick on a Wednesday and try out everything at the store if it was me. Then report back on what you found that you just couldn't keep your credit card in the purse for...

Last edited by Shavru; 09-24-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    75 (100%)

I liked my Commanders the best when I carried 1911's. I agree the Rock Island and Armscor are great guns for the price. If I were to carry one again, I'd probably get an RIA and do a little work on it. Both of mine shot perfectly with never a failure to fire or eject.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams to Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts 1798

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If only silencers were easy to come by....

And I'm grabbing some snap caps this weekend for the range next week to work on my damn flinch
    Just a little info for ya. Suppressors are not called silencers since they don't silence the weapon entirely, even though we know what you are referring to.

Snap caps are a must for training and learning about your weapon(s).

"If somebody thinks that they can pick up the phone and dial 911, and the police are going to be there to save them; that's not the case. The police are going to be there to clean up the mess." - Police Chief Mark Kessler