Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Webster and anyone else that has some good ideas, I hubby taught me to use snap caps at home while practicing drawing and racking and clearing and he randomly loads them into some of my full mags just before I go to the range so I get some practice efficiently clearing faulty rounds. What other good uses should I be putting them to?

Sniper
    Feedback Score
    95 (100%)

You could practice that your gun has gone dead for whatever reason and to transition to a secondary, or to using the primary to spear a close target because you don't have the time to get it back into the fight otherwise.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Webster82 View Post
    Just a little info for ya. Suppressors are not called silencers since they don't silence the weapon entirely, even though we know what you are referring to.

Snap caps are a must for training and learning about your weapon(s).
    Duly noted, thank you. I need to know these things :)

And I will be adding snap caps to my armory as soon as possible!

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

I know most coaches preach tap, rack and fire or some such quick means of clearing a jam or a dud,
    but most firearm trainwrecks stem from a squib load which has moved a bullet into, but not through, the bore,
    followed by a quick clearing and firing of a good round. (into a clogged bore)
    So the dummy rounds might be put to good practice in reasoning... when you get a 'click,' but no 'BANG!'
    there's more to getting back in to action than just tapping the magazine, racking the slide and trying again.
    You might inspect the ejected case. If you got no BANG! but DO have an empty case, you LIKELY have a bullet lodged
    in your bore. This happens almost as often with factory ammo as with reloads.
    There are several reasons the powder might not burn, but the most frequent problem is NO powder.
    A primer develops enough pressure to get the bullet moving, but not enough to get it out the end of the barrel.
    YouTube is replete with examples of exploding firearms and almost all of them involve clogged bores.

Quote Originally Posted by Shavru View Post
    Webster and anyone else that has some good ideas, I hubby taught me to use snap caps at home while practicing drawing and racking and clearing and he randomly loads them into some of my full mags just before I go to the range so I get some practice efficiently clearing faulty rounds. What other good uses should I be putting them to?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shavru View Post
    I like the training idea, but what kind of snap caps are you using at the range to shoot with?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban X View Post
    You could practice that your gun has gone dead for whatever reason and to transition to a secondary, or to using the primary to spear a close target because you don't have the time to get it back into the fight otherwise.
    I like the transition idea. You could place a few snap caps in each primary and secondary weapons. This way you can transition between each weapon whenever you cycle a snap cap.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmama View Post
    Duly noted, thank you. I need to know these things :)

And I will be adding snap caps to my armory as soon as possible!
    I wanted to make sure that you were using the right terminology (silencer vs. suppressor) in regards to firearms, but I didn't want to sound like a dickhead by doing so. And I hope I didn't. There are times when I've seen people at the range or shop trying to butt in and give advice to people that are assholes about it. It's always good to get the right information and use the correct terms, but it sucks when you get it from someone with no tact.

The fact that you are starting on the right foot to owning and carrying a weapon is commendable. But take it nice and slow and ask tons of questions. Learning firearms can take a lifetime to master for most people.

I recommend that you buy snap caps for every weapon caliber you own. If you have multiple calibers, and I highly suggest you do for your armory, it is prudent to have the correct training material to get with it.

"If somebody thinks that they can pick up the phone and dial 911, and the police are going to be there to save them; that's not the case. The police are going to be there to clean up the mess." - Police Chief Mark Kessler

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SAGELA View Post
    I know most coaches preach tap, rack and fire or some such quick means of clearing a jam or a dud,
    but most firearm trainwrecks stem from a squib load which has moved a bullet into, but not through, the bore,
    followed by a quick clearing and firing of a good round. (into a clogged bore)
    So the dummy rounds might be put to good practice in reasoning... when you get a 'click,' but no 'BANG!'
    there's more to getting back in to action than just tapping the magazine, racking the slide and trying again.
    You might inspect the ejected case. If you got no BANG! but DO have an empty case, you LIKELY have a bullet lodged
    in your bore. This happens almost as often with factory ammo as with reloads.
    There are several reasons the powder might not burn, but the most frequent problem is NO powder.
    A primer develops enough pressure to get the bullet moving, but not enough to get it out the end of the barrel.
    YouTube is replete with examples of exploding firearms and almost all of them involve clogged bores.
    Fantastic information. I actually stopped using the "Tap, Rack, Bang" method when you taught me this. But I'm glad I only came across one squib load in my lifetime.

"If somebody thinks that they can pick up the phone and dial 911, and the police are going to be there to save them; that's not the case. The police are going to be there to clean up the mess." - Police Chief Mark Kessler

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I wanted to make sure that you were using the right terminology (silencer vs. suppressor) in regards to firearms, but I didn't want to sound like a dickhead by doing so. And I hope I didn't. There are times when I've seen people at the range or shop trying to butt in and give advice to people that are assholes about it. It's always good to get the right information and use the correct terms, but it sucks when you get it from someone with no tact.
    Not to be a dick, but ATF calls them "Silencers".

"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit him with it."

Feedback Score

[QUOTE=Webster82;1211902

The fact that you are starting on the right foot to owning and carrying a weapon is commendable. But take it nice and slow and ask tons of questions. Learning firearms can take a lifetime to master for most people.

I recommend that you buy snap caps for every weapon caliber you own. If you have multiple calibers, and I highly suggest you do for your armory, it is prudent to have the correct training material to get with it.[/QUOTE]

I am here to learn & do not offend easily ;) I appreciate all the help. The only advice I get other than here is from the older guys I see at the range (which is also appreciated). I am usually at the range alone or with one or two other guys. They have been very respectful but can see that I am new and/or frustrated & generally ask if they can offer me some advice. Some have even let me shoot their pistols but there is only so much I can learn in a couple hours every two-ish weeks. This weekend I am taking a the Personal Protection in the Home class & get to shoot all weekend. Hoping to learn a lot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman001 View Post
    Not to be a dick, but ATF calls them "Silencers".
    The ATF know as much about firearms as obama knows how to shoot skeet with a horizontal rifle:

But I put my FULL FAITH that the ATF and Obama know more than any of us on SGN!

Quote Originally Posted by dogmama View Post
    I am here to learn & do not offend easily ;) I appreciate all the help. The only advice I get other than here is from the older guys I see at the range (which is also appreciated). I am usually at the range alone or with one or two other guys. They have been very respectful but can see that I am new and/or frustrated & generally ask if they can offer me some advice. Some have even let me shoot their pistols but there is only so much I can learn in a couple hours every two-ish weeks. This weekend I am taking a the Personal Protection in the Home class & get to shoot all weekend. Hoping to learn a lot.
    It's good to see that there are some good guys on the range willing to teach you a few things. Especially when you get to shoot someone else's gun for free. I always love to let someone shoot what I have.

Feedback Score

It's good to see that there are some good guys on the range willing to teach you a few things. Especially when you get to shoot someone else's gun for free. I always love to let someone shoot what I have.
    So far I love my range. I usually go during the week, during the day & it's super quiet. Maybe one guy on the main/rifle range & one on the pistol range. I've even had guys hand me their fancy target pistols & run the bullseye targets with the prompts for me. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I am a 34 year-old chick at the range by myself. No one ever walks up to my husband when he goes alone & asks if they can offer advice ;)
    If I saw more people there, I would most definitely offer up my pistol for them to try (my XD, not my Challenger!).