Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Lady Shooter from Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by dogmama View Post
    So far I love my range. I usually go during the week, during the day & it's super quiet. Maybe one guy on the main/rifle range & one on the pistol range. I've even had guys hand me their fancy target pistols & run the bullseye targets with the prompts for me. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I am a 34 year-old chick at the range by myself. No one ever walks up to my husband when he goes alone & asks if they can offer advice ;)
    If I saw more people there, I would most definitely offer up my pistol for them to try (my XD, not my Challenger!).
    I guess it pays to be a lady on the range by herself.

For some reason, guys don't like talking to other guys on the range unless there is something cool to look at. If I see something unsafe, then I have no problem pulling someone aside though. Whenever I shoot my SOCOM, it about freaks everyone out on the range. It only takes 3 shots to make everyone stop shooting and look down the firing line.

I have an HK USP 40 with a Surefire X300 and people always look at it and ask "what's that?"

"If somebody thinks that they can pick up the phone and dial 911, and the police are going to be there to save them; that's not the case. The police are going to be there to clean up the mess." - Police Chief Mark Kessler

Feedback Score
    75 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SAGELA View Post
    I know most coaches preach tap, rack and fire or some such quick means of clearing a jam or a dud,
    but most firearm trainwrecks stem from a squib load which has moved a bullet into, but not through, the bore,
    followed by a quick clearing and firing of a good round. (into a clogged bore)
    So the dummy rounds might be put to good practice in reasoning... when you get a 'click,' but no 'BANG!'
    there's more to getting back in to action than just tapping the magazine, racking the slide and trying again.
    You might inspect the ejected case. If you got no BANG! but DO have an empty case, you LIKELY have a bullet lodged
    in your bore. This happens almost as often with factory ammo as with reloads.
    There are several reasons the powder might not burn, but the most frequent problem is NO powder.
    A primer develops enough pressure to get the bullet moving, but not enough to get it out the end of the barrel.
    YouTube is replete with examples of exploding firearms and almost all of them involve clogged bores.
    This is how I was taught, checking the cartridge to be sure the bullet is still there. Also, when training, if you have a failure to fire, keep your gun aimed to the target for about 30 seconds before checking in case it is a hangfire. That can be extremely dangerous if it were to fire while you were trying to clear it.

I would also suggest training in point or instinctive shooting as Fairbairn and Sykes trained and was used in WW2. I trained in about 5 hours with Jim Gregg over in Moses Lake and was able to hit 5 shots all touching (on target) without even seeing the handgun. Jim has trained border patrol down South and up North. He's up there in age but he still does some training and is a great teacher. It is good within about 5-7 yards, which is where most confrontations would occur. I thought no way in hell I could do it before I started (and told him that). It will be dependent on the gun you practice with but I have been able to train myself on various types that I have carried within a day. I trained on my 4" 686 and then never shot it again until a year later. Picked it up when I was shooting up at Cle Elum with my wife and kids and hit all 7 rounds touching at about 5 yards. I was surprised I could still do it. Now, with my LCR, I was shooting about 1.5" high so need to do a bit more practice. I think it is the difference in the grip.

Last edited by MorrisWR; 09-26-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams to Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts 1798

Feedback Score
    113 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisWR View Post
    This is how I was taught, checking the cartridge to be sure the bullet is still there. Also, when training, if you have a failure to fire, keep your gun aimed to the target for about 30 seconds before checking in case it is a hangfire. That can be extremely dangerous if it were to fire while you were trying to clear it.

I would also suggest training in point or instinctive shooting as Fairbairn and Sykes trained and was used in WW2. I trained in about 5 hours with Jim Gregg over in Moses Lake and was able to hit 5 shots all touching (on target) without even seeing the handgun. Jim has trained border patrol down South and up North. He's up there in age but he still does some training and is a great teacher. It is good within about 5-7 yards, which is where most confrontations would occur. I thought no way in hell I could do it before I started (and told him that). It will be dependent on the gun you practice with but I have been able to train myself on various types that I have carried within a day. I trained on my 4" 686 and then never shot it again until a year later. Picked it up when I was shooting up at Cle Elum with my wife and kids and hit all 7 rounds touching at about 5 yards. I was surprised I could still do it. Now, with my LCR, I was shooting about 1.5" high so need to do a bit more practice. I think it is the difference in the grip.
    Yes, it's fast and fun. All the post-gunfight interviews I've ever read about suggest the guys who win clearly remember seeing nothing but the front sight, however.
    That stat has riddled me for decades so I enjoy practicing both ways... then when the disciplinary shooting is out of the way, I break out a SAA .45 and shoot
    from the hip for a while. I can't do it fast enough to think I'd ever try it seriously unless it's a large target within a very few yards, but when done deliberately for a half hour or so, I can ackshully hit a high percentage of the tomato cans I set out at 8-10 yards.
    Then next time I go out I have to start over... the skill doesn't seem to stick with me.
    But it's fun.

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Webster82 View Post
    I guess it pays to be a lady on the range by herself.

For some reason, guys don't like talking to other guys on the range unless there is something cool to look at. If I see something unsafe, then I have no problem pulling someone aside though. Whenever I shoot my SOCOM, it about freaks everyone out on the range. It only takes 3 shots to make everyone stop shooting and look down the firing line.

I have an HK USP 40 with a Surefire X300 and people always look at it and ask "what's that?"
    Being a lady at the range does have it's benefits :) The rest of what you wrote does not compute. I've heard of a SOCOM but not an HK USP 40.....and I would most likely be too shy to ask what they are at the range since I barely know anything about anything (and rifles are way too loud for me to get that close). I've been reading lots of threads here, but mostly about pistols. I gotta focus on one thing at a time

Feedback Score
    Bravo! Welcome to SGN

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmama View Post
    Being a lady at the range does have it's benefits :) The rest of what you wrote does not compute. I've heard of a SOCOM but not an HK USP 40.....and I would most likely be too shy to ask what they are at the range since I barely know anything about anything (and rifles are way too loud for me to get that close). I've been reading lots of threads here, but mostly about pistols. I gotta focus on one thing at a time
    This is what an HK USP looks like:

A SOCOM, is actually a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 and looks like this:

But it's good to focus on one system at a time.

"If somebody thinks that they can pick up the phone and dial 911, and the police are going to be there to save them; that's not the case. The police are going to be there to clean up the mess." - Police Chief Mark Kessler

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Webster, The snap caps Hubby gets me are A-Zoom they are Solid metal anodized aluminum I believe, with a rubber "primer" so they are about the same weight as a regular round so except the red color the are identical to live rounds I can't tell just by the mag weight if hubby has swapped out one or more of the rounds inside for one of these when we load all the mags with range rounds the night before I go. That way I never know when or if one is going to not fire. I really appreciate the idea about when I get one swapping to my bug as quick as possible but the range won't let me draw from a holster so guess I can't practice that quite as effectively. The info about squibs is also REALLY good info I wonder why the Army never taught me about those? Maybe because I was just a finance clerk LOL. Thank you I will definately keep that in mind. And it sounds like looking for the bullet still in the round that ejects is probably the most effective way to do that and quickly get back into the fight. But if I can't see the ejected round maybe that is the time for the bug? definately dont' want to try looking down a barrel for a clog in the middle of a fight. Hmm time for some serious thought about what I want to be my practiced move to anticipate that possibility. Sheesh the more I learn the more there is to learn. One of the things I love about this sight all the questions that I learn I should ask.

Last edited by Shavru; 09-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.

SGN Prince of Puyallup zombie66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    188 (100%)

Only nerds own SOCOMS..............................

Quote Originally Posted by sinus211 View Post
    Jesus fuck. Orion I've stood up for you on many occasions, from nonsense 9mm bouncing off insurgents to downtown Seattle security guard "I am the law" rants. As respectfully as this can possibly be said, go shove a pineapple up your ass.

Feedback Score

Welcome Aboard

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Welcome to SGN! The 9mm Shield is a great gun and easy to shoot. I use the Rocket Man ECP - extreme cant paddle (RM Holster) made of kydex. Makes a super light comfortable carry.

http://shop.rmholsters.com/main.sc