Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Pistol from the Key Peninsula

Shooter
    Feedback Score

First Pistol from the Key Peninsula

Hey what's up guys.
    I'm just starting to learn more about firearms, handguns mostly, and since I'm now a new proud father and me and the girl just bought our first house out here on the KP I'm looking to make my first pistol purchase.
    I'm a carpenter by trade and a lifelong learner. I can catch a hobby and become an enthusiast faster than I can go through boots and one thing for sure is forums are a great place to learn,but even better if you participate so this is my story.

I own only a nice 1934 mosin nagant (Have they gone up in price?)
    I used to own a Marlin 22lr which got ripped off many years ago.

Anyway, I've been doing a bunch of the youtubery and reading reviews trying to figure out what my first handgun should be.

I did make a point to head down to Bullseye and rent their whole case, a box of 9mm and a box of .45.
    I shot a ruger p95 (hated it)
    a sig p938 loved it
    a glock 34 (Longslide?) pretty indifferent to this one

Shot the XDm.45 , hated it which was great cause I really thought I would end up buying one of these based on what I'd read.
    Shot a governemnt 1911 and put the first two rounds strait through eachother exactly where I wanted to at 3 yards, definitely feeling the hype here loved it.
    Also a G30s and really really enjoyed shooting it and actually felt very in control of the gun.

So what I learned is I prefer to shoot .45 over 9 and that compact/subcompact frames feel better. Like I get more of my hands and body behind the recoil. I'm no small dude either at 6'2" 205lbs XL size gloves.

My philosophy with this gun is truly the do-everything. I want something damn near duty grade, concealable, that I can afford to customize and train with. I want this gun to feel like my hammer on my toolbags. So despite preferring .45, at this point I think my wallet is telling me I should be looking into a Glock 19

I'm planning another case rental this time at Fed Way discount guns to try out a g19, g26, maybe an M&P and MAYBE see what's up with the wheel gun game, get my hands on a ruger .357/38

Sorry for the long ass rant, hope you guys can take a little light reading haha
    Let me know what you think and safe shooting out there.

Operator
    Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Re: First Pistol from the Key Peninsula

Welcome to SGN !!!!!!!!!!!!

cootduster

Patrolman
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Welcome to the forum!

You're on the right track. Renting isn't cheap, but will save you money in the long run.

In Omnia Paratus

Tactical Operator
    Feedback Score
    115 (100%)

You're doing it the right way by trying a variety... but I'd suggest meeting someone with a variety of handguns may be a cheaper way to go... most gun guys are willing to if it's convenient. Heck, I've taken guys to the range I go to for free, and let them shoot a variety of guns... done it many, many times.

Guns are a learning curve, and I've found that I matured INTO certain guns I didn't initially like. I didn't initally like the Sig for instance, but it has grown on me as I've matured in handguns. Ask a lot of questions, be open minded, don't form opinions but just absorb information.

Welcome to responsible family protection... we need more folks like minded. Vote against the D...

Never shop at Precise Shooter in Seattle. It's owned by anti-gun, anti-capitalist, pro Hillary. I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF x4. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

If you want a "hammer in your tool bag", then the G19 is hard to beat. My only suggestion is to go fondle a HK VP9 before you buy. I don't have one yet, but is the only thing I can foresee supplanting my Glock.

Marksman
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Don't necessarily rule out the .40 cal. As you try more and learn what you like you will also learn what tradeoffs occur....you say big hands yet the 938 is tiny so it depends on what fits in your hand, size aside. Also the concealibility changes with all dimensions, so carry system makes a difference. I love my 45 and find the 40 too snappy in most medium to small autos...best i have found is the Glock 23, but my carry piece is a shield with Buffalo Bore ammo, which takes you to another place....ammo makes a huge difference in performance and whatever you get, it has to run all day long with your carry ammo...good luck.

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

The most overlooked "pro" for the .45acp cartridge is its operating pressure... half that of the 9s and .40s.
    If you get into reloading, Mr. Learner, consider what a safety margin that is.

Welcome to the forum, great first post, even better demonstration of enthusiasm for the subject.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SAGELA View Post
    The most overlooked "pro" for the .45acp cartridge is its operating pressure... half that of the 9s and .40s.
    If you get into reloading, Mr. Learner, consider what a safety margin that is.

Welcome to the forum, great first post, even better demonstration of enthusiasm for the subject.
    Agreed. You will also need a nice Colt 1911 to go with that reloading hobby. Welcome!

Got Colts?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

welcome!

I have 40 acres out your way where I shoot, but I don't live out there, I am downtown GH

I like the HK USPc 45 or the HK45c, not the cheapest but will never let you down and both shoot like a dream. If your looking at glock or M&P's in 9mm you may want to check out the new HK VP9 great pricing(bit more than a glock or mp), great gun, but at this time its only comes in full size and 9mm

I think most would tend to agree, the gun that gets carried the most(year long) is the S&W J frame snub nose 38spl, its not a do it all gun....but its a gun you can have on you all the time.(but not the best choice for a 1st gun)

in the past it had been my policy when I sell a home in the KP to include a handgun(or shotgun depending) at closing but I594 screwed up that.......now I hand out rape whistles

Truth is a torch that shines through the fog without dispelling it. Always be true to your work, your word, & your friends, & you will never live a day without peace

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Welcome!