Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AI to consume the world

Kirkland. All future transactions will occur before 12/4/2014

AI to consume the world

Stephan Hawking thinks that computers WILL overtake us in the near future and warns that it could spell the end to Humanity: (I've often said a famous person with the initials BG is the Anti-Christ or mabe just the computer...)

http://www.newsweek.com/stephen-hawk...umanity-332082

so if computers were to take over, how do you think it would be accomplished? Crashing the infrastructure? Misleading militaries into armed conflict and nuclear conflagration? By building its own microscopic army of grey-goo-bots?

Tactical Operator

Re: AI to consume the world

I don't have a crystal ball. It's clear that computers and technology are a great thing, but also a terrible thing. A real double edged pandoras box of a sword. Can't put it back in, and the rapid evolution of serious technology means that if you don't compete in the race, you lose and become irrelevant as a nation. Imagine how quickly a super-power would become irrelevant if its technology was the equivalent of bolt guns and propeller airplanes. If every weapon system was easily defeated and the computers easily hacked. So, we, the world, are on this ultra-competitive treadmill for which we cannot get off.

As humans we have created really wonderful things with technology and there's no denying that. Cures for illnesses, weapons to defeat evil empires, and luxuries the world never experienced (light, running water, ample food, transportation and global telecom, etc.). Conversely, we've become super efficient at killing.

And the problem is that everywhere in the world, there are really evil people determined to kill. We'll call them terrorists. These terrorists need to be right only once. Like a goalkeeper, protecting a huge goal with dozens or hundreds of kicks from every angle 24/7/365.

AI is a slow death, but we are watching it replace humans' jobs. Factory workers replaced by machines. ATMs replaced bankers. Check out machines at the grocery store. Self serve gas stations. Automatic car washes. Surveillance cameras replace security guards and police. Drones already replace people, and will soon be delivering your packages and mail and doing many other tasks.

What about your profession? What do these people do when their jobs are eliminated?

I expect in my lifetime more people replaced by more robots. I also expect that terrorists will get a few kicks past goalies with spectacularly horrific results akin to 9/11, as our government has demonstrated incompetence in so many areas.
    Never shop at Precise Shooter in Seattle. I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF x4. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.

The world is over populated and it it's only getting worse. The earth cannot sustain the current human population growth and something will have to give. We are like a virus attacking what was once a healthy cell. As for the meek inheriting the earth? Well I'm subscribing to the philosophy that only the strongest will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    Well I'm subscribing to the philosophy that only the smartest will survive.
    Fixed it for you. Strength isn't defined by the best weapons, or the biggest muscles. Well, sometimes it is, but you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
    Factory workers replaced by machines.
    And artisans and skilled crafts people complained about the factory workers during the industrial revolution. Sucked to be a carriage or buggy whip maker when the Model T hit the market.

The simple fact is that individual wants are infinite yet the resources are finite. We all compete for those resources. Those that don't even try to compete tend to end up with very little. You might call that "economics".

On the upside, I hear most companies in the AI industry are hiring...

computers need electricity.....unplug them and they are just boxes of plastic and metal..
    Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

view my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

The bottom line, if this happens, is that we let it. It will be no one's fault but our own. I'm sure Stephen Hawking predicts this because he understands the part of human nature that thinks "if I don't do it (create this product, develop this technology, etc.) someone else will. And then I will be left behind, lose financially, or whatever..."

For example, look at the new Big Brother-esque surveillance and legal extortion cameras on 405. Government says "we need to do this, or someone else will beat us to it, and then we'll be left for second best", leading the citizens to suffer. And we let it. Sure, we bitch and complain and vent our frustrations on some forum somewhere. Yet we did not do anything to prevent it and still do nothing to stop it. We simply start to rationalize it financially and intellectually ("it won't be that bad after all. What's a couple hundred extra per year? I'll just make more money...") And the knob on the stove preparing to boil the frog has just been turned up another notch.

Yet we continue to let it.

Sharp Shooter

We are Borg........... resistance is futile.

Kirkland. All future transactions will occur before 12/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by TINCANBANDIT View Post
    computers need electricity.....unplug them and they are just boxes of plastic and metal..
    not solar powered nano-goo-bots!

Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by jukk0u View Post
    not solar powered nano-goo-bots!
    A little black spay paint on the solar panel(s) is as good as unplugging (after the battery/power cell die of course)
    Gun Problem? ... You mean like when you squeeze the trigger and nothing goes bang... right?