Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This Forum..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: This Forum..

Quote Originally Posted by L_O_G View Post
    I enjoyed meeting random guys at the Kent Winco parking lot at all times of the day. lol
    Come on... No one?... Nobody's gonna call this?

There's an App for that.

Feedback Score
    70 (100%)

This forum, any forum, reacts like a population group. People die off (people move onto other hobbies/websites, or just stop posting) and people are born to replace those who die off (new members join the forum). The problem I've seen with forum activity is that we've had a fair amount of people dying off, and not many new guys coming in to replace them.

So I think back to what made me join this forum. What I think made most of us join up. Guns for sale. Plain and simple. Years ago a buddy says to me "hey I know this website where you can get awesome deals on guns." Well sign me up damnit!. IMO one of the biggest problems is the classifieds dying off. 594 had a big part in this, yes, but that's not the only problem IMO.

It may be time for the paid memberships to go. I don't know if that's a reasonable request, or even possible, but I think that's what's hurting the site now. Originally it was fine, the site was humming along and it made sense to have a paid membership. Who wouldn't pay $2 a month to list on Seattle's most popular classifieds website? Now it just doesn't make as much sense. With viewership greatly diminished the service no longer justifies the cost.

To me, that's the biggest problem right now. We all came here to get deals on guns, we stayed and chatted once we looked over the classifieds because this is an awesome community. But if the classifieds don't have any content it just becomes a chat hub for the regulars. We need to bring new life to the site. We need to stir the classifieds and bring back the allure of SGN. IMO that means doing away with the tiered pay memberships.

But that won't do it on it's own. We need to get out there in the community and rep the site. Hand out cards at gun shows, maybe even have a table. Make appearances at political rallies. If this site is going to come back to life it will take work. So it boils down to one question really, that I ask of everyone, ownership and membership:

Are you willing to put in the work to revitalize the site?

Licensed/Bonded/Insured Hardwood Floor Installer/Finisher http://www.hardwoodfloorsnw.com/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I've been wondering about this myself lately too. When I first started really getting into guns about 5-6 years ago, SGN became my home and mentor. I constantly surfed and searched the site, learning as much as I could. The banter, the gun pics, even the ads for things I wasn't interested in--I soaked them up and learned and enjoyed. And as I initially built a collection, I found this site to be an amazing resource to figure out what I actually favored. I bought, sold and traded numerous guns and accessories in the process of figuring it all out.
    Along the way, I also met some great people and expanded my circle of friends and acquaintances. It's been a fun ride.
    Personally, I don't buy very much any more. Even less since 594 put a cramp in personal sales. But I still check in every day to see what I may have missed. Not like I used to where I had to check often in order to not miss out on anything.
    That being said, I use another local Washington-based gun website when I do buy/sell guns/parts. And I'll tell you why, Norm: Because it's less hassle. I don't mind paying to use SGN--It just seems like every time I want to post something, I have to figure out how to renew my membership and I'm just too lazy. If there was an option for a year-long membership (or an auto-renew or a lifetime thing), I would be interested.
    So don't let SGN die. Let's make it great again.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    62 (98%)

Trolls? Thats the best part of this site. When you've got people that give the best reactions over any little comment, what do you expect? I like seeing the arguments ppl get into on here. It's awesome lol. Thing is, at the end of the day, everyone's cool with each other. Aside from a very very few, it's not personal. It's just a bunch of guys ball busting each other.... Hard. Gotta have thick skin to have fun on here. Can't be butt hurt about all the "trolls" aka.... "Ball busters".

" still got your Uzi? I've got a beautiful very valuable Sumatran blood python baby full of color and an enclosure. Any interest in a trade?"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Here's my suggestion for revitalizing the site.

Do tables at gun shows, hand out cards. Work out deals with FFL's in certain areas for low cost transfers for SGN members. I'm sure there's a few that would appreciate the business. Smart gun shops would realize that the money they're losing on the gun sale could be made up in accessories and ammo...

Remove the pay to play option, replace with ads and affiliates. Offer a paid membership that removes the ads, plus whatever ancillary benefits you want to add. I understand the need to make the site self supporting. There are better ways to do this. The casual member isn't going to want to pay to put his stuff up for sale when he can go to other sites and do it for free, not to mention the people we lost because they felt like they shouldn't have to pay for something they've been getting for free, or could get for free elsewhere.

Have active moderators. Have more than 4 or 5 of them. I'd say a good number of moderators for an active forum is 10-15. Otherwise you're overworking your moderators and admins.

Encourage subject matter experts to post, and back them. We've had guys here that are a wealth of knowledge and have even posted guides only to have them torn to shreds by assholes for no reason. Those guys are now gone.

Host more events. Cleanups, group shoots, etc. Encourage as many people as possible to come.

Thats just my .02. Its worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Well, a big suggestion to help you in spreading the word about the site, first and foremost, do NOT tell people who do not know about the site to go check out "SGN", the first thing they are going to type is "SGN.com", which is a site we do not want to be associated with - no prejudice or phobia, just not a good association for us (except Bronco, to get pics to make us cringe).

Please tell them "SeattleGuns.net". It is a pity Norm cannot somehow get the "sgn.com" domain so as to prevent future embarrassments.
    Yes, Zombie66, I know, it is never accidental when you go to sgn.com

Washington CPL.
    If Elmer Fudd had hair, he would definitely be a ginger.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

I have seen a slowdown and I agree, the passage of I-594 put a damper on my firearm purchases through this site. I still find the informational posts, like "TINCANBANDITS" post, not just in NSFW but his "my blog" posts, which I hope you guys are looking at, it is really good, and of course, who isn't interested in the SEAHAWK banter, and the beer crying because the Mariners SUCK once again - in spite of the money they spend on players.
    I still have purchased shooting supplies, gun cases, holsters as well as read reviews on different weapons I have considered obtaining, your reviews are very helpful. The Good Eats area and "Gun Pics" have lead to lively conversations with my boys and the wife has commented, "that's a pretty weapon", which leads to feeding our firearm habit.
    I don't post much and I don't mind paying to have the ability to post/sell if I need to. I don't post much here for a variety of reasons, mainly if it isn't "easy" for me, I say to heck with it and move on...and I don't want the FED TROLLS to see what is behind my closed doors...sorry it is none of their DAMN Business as long as the Constitution is in play...which is for another discussion.
    I have met many a good men here thru this site and a couple of well shall I say "flaky" characters. I am an older guy, and have been a part of this site for almost 6 years now...and continue to enjoy what I see and read here.

I will continue to support NORM and this site as long as it is up and running, which I hope for the sake of all of us, is a long time. Vote people!! Vote to keep this site up and running. Vote by using and frequenting this site...and GO HAWKS!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have felt the same way. I know I haven always been one of the guys that gets involved in every conversation. and now it's even harder for me to be involved because I get paid by the hour now so way less fuck off time at work. But I have always tried to stay loyal to this sight. but it is hard when you post something up in the classifieds and you don't even get some crazy low ball offer before you sell it on a different sight. I feel like 594 has a lot to do with it. And the fact that we are all a bunch of cheap ass's doesn't help.

the only way I see to get it back rolling the way it used to be is those of us that see what's going on is to start posting shit for sale. I can tell you that even if people are not active everyday. They are still going to check this sight to see if someone is selling what they are looking for before the go to a gun shop and pay retail prices for it.

"unfortunately common sense isn't that common anymore" Eustace Conway

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

It was 594.
    Last gun I bought was out of state through an FFL (Sound Loans).
    Used to buy them all on here and found some pretty good deals.

NRA Life Member
    Hillary for Prison, 2016

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

594 was a big reason I do not do much buying now. I refuse to fill out the paperwork for 594 and refuse to pay an FFL fee for a private sale, so I will not do any buying from someone I do not already know. Plus I just have not seen many things I have wanted since then being sold by guys I know ( I never seem to be quick enough to get the Bronco75 deals). The few items I have been interested in sold by guys I know sold before I could get to them since I do not check the site as often.

Edit: I think the loss of a good chat product for Premium members also had a big impact. We used to be on it all day every day, lots of us. I know they discontinued the old chat product, so that cannot be blamed on Norm and so far a good replacement has not been found.

Last edited by jmathisn; 09-09-2015 at 02:53 PM.
    Washington CPL.
    If Elmer Fudd had hair, he would definitely be a ginger.