Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This Forum..

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

Re: This Forum..

Okay, maybe I can add something besides my usual charm... LOL

Yes, 594 is an issue and definitely contributed to the decline of our forum. That being said, I think Norm hit the nail on the head with regard to issues with the mechanics of the site being the catalyst. I know a lot of folks where were very frustrated when the site wasn't loading properly, timing out, chat was broken and it seemed like it was going on and on without getting the attention that some, including myself, thought it should warrant.
    It was especially troubling, since we were paying money, albeit a small amount, monthly to have access to our forum and still have issues. I know that Norm was working on solutions, and as he has said, didn't exactly have the experience necessary to resolve all the issues.

Moving forward:

IF we are going to make a concerted effort to revive this place that we all love being a part of, it will take suggestions and help from all of us, not just finger pointing and frustration. :)

I know I have done more than my fair share of complaining, and you all are welcome to call me on that. However, I think that if we put our heads together, we can come up with a legitimate plan to try and bring in new members, create new interest in the site and make this place enjoyable again for everyone's benefit. We are completing with Waguns, facebook, armslist and who knows where else.

Maybe those of us who are interested, could get together for a few beverages and put a plan together? I know that I am willing to do what I can to help.

Beware the guise of security, for it is temporary and false and true intentions will become transparent once your freedoms have been stripped....

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jmathisn View Post
    594 was a big reason I do not do much buying now. I refuse to fill out the paperwork for 594 and refuse to pay an FFL fee for a private sale, so I will not do any buying from someone I do not already know. Plus I just have not seen many things I have wanted since then being sold by guys I know ( I never seem to be quick enough to get the Bronco75 deals). The few items I have been interested in sold by guys I know sold before I could get to them since I do not check the site as often.
    If you don't want to deal with the 594 BS, then don't comply :) I haven't...

Beware the guise of security, for it is temporary and false and true intentions will become transparent once your freedoms have been stripped....

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Barfly View Post
    If you don't want to deal with the 594 BS, then don't comply :) I haven't...
    I do not comply and that is why I will not buy stuff from these guys requiring to have the paperwork filled out, even if they pay the FFL fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Barfly View Post
    I know I have done more than my fair share of complaining,
    Yes, I have to agree with you on that, and not just here on the forum

Last edited by jmathisn; 09-09-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    Washington CPL.
    If Elmer Fudd had hair, he would definitely be a ginger.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I think 594 had a lot to do with it. But there is a ton Facebook groups that have a lot of activity. So there is people out there that are buying and selling.

"unfortunately common sense isn't that common anymore" Eustace Conway

Tactical Operator
    Feedback Score
    112 (100%)

who isn't interested in the SEAHAWK banter, and the beer crying because the Mariners SUCK once again
    Me.

I was nearly driven away by some extremely hostile remarks toward me for daring to challenge adult men to do something more productive... I certainly gave as good as I got in response. I've also had taken relentless attacks on me personally and my career. I've since actually met some of the guys who I had the back and forth with and we're all good now. But I will say that the hostility nearly drove me away permanently. A site with mods would have not allowed that hostility. I also saw a handful of members driven away due to constant attacks or arguments - and I'm not blameless here. We can't drive away members through hostility, and again I share some of that blame. I think we expect people to be thick skinned and don't respect the fact that there are a lot of competing websites.

Since this is a gun-based community (as the name implies) it seems odd that there is such heated interest in sports. It's not really my thing. But much like the "big game hunting" on other forums, I just stop going to that topic since it doesn't interest me whatsoever.

I originally came here for the classifieds and gun discussion. The classifieds here are nearly dead and died off in two parts, due to the fees (which are trivial, but other sites are free, so it's competing against "free" postings) and I594. But let's not let I594 kill SGN!!!

Look, we all hate 594. Yes it's inconvenient. Yes it sucks and adds a fee to our hobby. But do you really want a gun crime hanging over your head for years by ignoring it? No thanks. I just did a 594 transfer through an FFL yesterday. We should be motivated to change the law, not sit on our hands and bitch about it and quit. 594 is not the end of the world. It's a trivial fee. Frankly it does offer some peace of mind of not getting robbed in a parking lot, and creating a clear record of disposition of the firearm. Also, increases in recorded transfers actually in a way helps us since it shows that gun sales are up every year, and helps our local FFLs business and I've been able to meet a few new FFLs in the area. Let me be clear, I'm no fan of it and want non FFL type FTF returned, but it's not going to prevent me from buying or selling and complying with an inconvenience. I'm not going to put my career, job, etc. on the line for a possible gun crime. So, comply and change the laws. Beat them at their own game. We should try to get FFLs to give free transfers with a SGN membership and maybe a purchase of say $25 or $50. It's a win for the FFL, and a win for all of us.

1. So, SGN leadership or others can and should reach to FFLs to strike up dialogue about transfers either free or lower costs for free advertising and/or free with a minimum purchase of a few boxes of ammo or mags or gear.

2. The search feature on SGN sucks. Big time. It's the worst search engine I've ever seen. It needs attention.

3. Folks need to police themselves and others for hostility. Myself included.

4. Figure a way to fund this site without a fee to improve the classifieds, and allow others to bump the classifieds, which I always thought generated good dialogue.

5. And the name SGN or "Seattle Guns Net" - if possible it needs changing. This site has nearly zero to do with Seattle. I'd suggest changing it to broaden exposure to the Pacific Northwest or something similar. Most of us don't live in Seattle and rarely visit Seattle. And SGN is a "Seattle Gay Network" or some such if you google it. Ick.

Last edited by leadcounsel; 09-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    Never shop at Precise Shooter in Seattle. It's owned by anti-gun, anti-capitalist, pro Hillary voter. I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF x4. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.

Feedback Score
    124 (100%)

Glad someone finally brought this topic up. Reasons why I don't hang out here much anymore:

1. Platinum membership is worthless after chat changed over.
    2. There's no actual gun chat here
    3. Posted a few product guides, only to have clowns with no knowledge on the topic post
    4. Didn't bother me as much, but I think the site slit its own throat when the paid membership came into play.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I quit platinum when the new chat came on. It never worked on my iPad.

Feedback Score
    79 (100%)

Keep the feedback flowing gentleman.

I am coming into my slow period at work, this when I have the most time to make changes to the site.
    I have been pondering over the pay features for quite some time now and just not sure how I want to adjust it yet.
    The site does cost money to run and operate, the ads themselves right now, dont bring enough in to do this, so a reasonable membership is likely to continue for now.
    I dont mind changing the parameters of that, but like I said, I am not sure what is the best way to go yet.

I am rather surprised to see a couple request for more staff??

Are you guys not getting what you need from the staff or just want to see more involvement on the forum from the staff?
    I know a few guys have more on there plates, than they once had, so dont put in the time like they used too on here.
    The sight seems to stay fairly clean from what I can tell, so I havent felt the need to add more staff members at this time, but maybe I am wrong on this.
    I also havent had any complaints from members not getting the help they need when asking for help via the pm system.

Then there is the trolls...
    I know there will always be trolls and there is no way to ever eliminate them. You guys have always been the best detection of trolls in the past. If you suspect a troll, let us know, we always check them out, ban them if we feel they are a troll and monitor them if we are not positive if they are.

I have heard a number of complaints over the years regarding the vbulletin search engine. Even on the Vbulletin discussion boards, there is many complaints and seems to be a weak point with vbulletin. I can ask my guy who does my site work, if there is any alternatives to this, but I am skeptical there is much if any options at this point.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

A working chat would be great. I really miss chat.
    A Curio and Relic forum, or WW I/II guns forum might spark some interest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have received some flak on this site. My views are not always welcome. This forum should not be defined by 594. This forum should be more about being a gun community than a CL for guns. The gun sales should be a small part of what we are here for. A repository of knowledge. Like minded people helping each other. Some people have posted some life changing events here, because they value our input. Let's focus on that. I do a lot of posting on another site, to which I give $ support. Not required, but when it is, it is appreciated, and not required makes it easier. Don't hate other sites, but learn from each other. This is not a turf war, there is room for more than one gun forum.
    Rambling rant over.