Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: This Forum..

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Re: This Forum..

Here's my history from new user to today:

Came here for the classifieds. Never went anywhere else on the forum.
    Then I got a Platinum membership and noticed something funny in my browser - chat shit in the lower right corner.
    Clicked on chat, joined the conversation, met some great people, and laughed my ass off daily - also got great links to deals on this site and other sites
    Chat software broke frequently, then was replaced - not compatible with a lot of mobile devices
    594 kicked in
    Chat users fell down to nothing, I hung in for several months often being the only person in chat, then I stopped even checking chat
    I still pay my Platinum membership fee to support the site, but I'm back to just checking classifieds that don't change much

For me the progression was: finding deals, making friends, admiration for the good people here, being entertained by this community, then deals became harder to find, and finally losing touch with the friends I made here...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Without directing this at anyone in particular...

If you don't think there is anything that needs to be changed or addressed, or have difficulty understanding what brought this site here today, it seems you will be happily returning right up until SGN becomes a 404 page.

While my original post did lack specifics, I think others have filled in that gap.

At this point I'm not seeing where the confusion is in regards to what needs to be done or changed.

There's a lot of work that needs to be done & fixes aren't going to churn out results over night.

To be blunt, I'm not convinced this site can recover while remaining under its current ownership.

- Sorry to sound like such a dick.

Ranger
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

What will a change of ownership fix?

Patrolman
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

"Without directing this at anyone in particular...". Really?

"This forum has been dying for some time now as a result of bad decisions....... A chunk of this forums downfall could be attributed to greed, stubbornness & inexperience......Why not just give it up, and offer it for sale?....Give some one else a chance, move on."

"To be blunt, I'm not convinced this site can recover while remaining under its current ownership"

Okay, so, while you're not "directing this at anyone in particular"....and then just letting this run for 7 pages, while supposedly "not directing it", then come back with a 'see, I told you so', what EXACTLY would you do differently? More importantly, HOW would you do it differently?

It's easy to say no trolls, but how do you enforce that? You want people who click on a football thread that then bitch about having to read a football or food thread to be able to say no such threads?

The great part is that it's a community & relationships get built, so they want to discuss other topics with people they've built relationships with, but some just want it to be about ammo and such, okay....

You want a free site, cool; so, you're gonna buy it, pay for it, then pay the fees to keep it running, all while losing money? And then, meanwhile be on here 24/7 to make amends when anyone's feelings get butt-hurt?

Oh, and you're gonna make people list guns for sale when the political climate & laws are bad, just to keep people browsing the classifieds?....

You are THE MAN!

I don't have a problem with you thinking the site can be better.

But don't be a wimp, and stop hiding behind your passive-aggressive statements.

Say what you think the changes should be; say what you would do differently; say how you could run it without membership, and PM the guy with an offer.

Otherwise...you're just a whiner. No better than that which you are complaining about.

Have a great evening!

Tactical Operator
    Feedback Score
    112 (100%)

My criticisms aside, I appreciate the site and believe the ownership and the way it's run is good. It just needs the tweaking mentioned on this thread. I've been coming here for a minute and have enjoyed my time here, insults aside.

Never shop at Precise Shooter in Seattle. It's owned by anti-gun, anti-capitalist, pro Hillary voter. I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF x4. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stompah View Post
    What will a change of ownership fix?
    Hopefully the mindset that drove the site into the situation that it sits in today.

NWGunner:

This thread isn't about to get derailed into being about me, so don't bother.

- What has been suggested by users thus far is what should have been done differently

- Re: Trolls: In my opinion certain users have been allowed to literally drive others away. Some in particular have posts well into the thousands.

- Re: Costs: Preaching to the choir. This may be difficult to grasp, but sometimes hobbies, enjoyment or being productive does not involve profit.

Quote Originally Posted by NWGunner View Post
    "Without directing this at anyone in particular...". Really?
    "This forum has been dying for some time now as a result of bad decisions....... A chunk of this forums downfall could be attributed to greed, stubbornness & inexperience......Why not just give it up, and offer it for sale?....Give some one else a chance, move on."
    "To be blunt, I'm not convinced this site can recover while remaining under its current ownership"
    Okay, so, while you're not "directing this at anyone in particular"....and then just letting this run for 7 pages, while supposedly "not directing it", then come back with a 'see, I told you so', what EXACTLY would you do differently? More importantly, HOW would you do it differently?
    It's easy to say no trolls, but how do you enforce that? You want people who click on a football thread that then bitch about having to read a football or food thread to be able to say no such threads?
    The great part is that it's a community & relationships get built, so they want to discuss other topics with people they've built relationships with, but some just want it to be about ammo and such, okay....
    You want a free site, cool; so, you're gonna buy it, pay for it, then pay the fees to keep it running, all while losing money? And then, meanwhile be on here 24/7 to make amends when anyone's feelings get butt-hurt?
    Oh, and you're gonna make people list guns for sale when the political climate & laws are bad, just to keep people browsing the classifieds?....
    You are THE MAN!
    I don't have a problem with you thinking the site can be better.
    But don't be a wimp, and stop hiding behind your passive-aggressive statements.
    Say what you think the changes should be; say what you would do differently; say how you could run it without membership, and PM the guy with an offer.
    Otherwise...you're just a whiner. No better than that which you are complaining about.
    Have a great evening!
    Everyone: My opinion is just that. If you don't agree with it that's fine.

Feedback Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JVK View Post

- Re: Costs: Preaching to the choir. This may be difficult to grasp, but sometimes hobbies, enjoyment or being productive does not involve profit.
    This part I will agree with. Running a Forum does cost money, but for 95% of forums out there they don't make money. I run a forum, and we don't have the membership that SGN does, but I do have a lot more industry sponsors. Any money we make, goes right back into the forum. The admin and mods do it as a labor of love and put far more into than they get out of it. Forum's are hobbies for the most part, the paid membership has to go.

Patrolman
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

While your assault at my intelligence and ability to grasp, "Re: Costs: Preaching to the choir. This may be difficult to grasp, but sometimes hobbies, enjoyment or being productive does not involve profit.", actually puts you in the roll of the troll you say you despise, you are building a straw man here, by stating a hobby, et al, does not involve a profit.

No one mentioned profit.

I stated covering the costs.

No one mentioned hobby.

While guns, gun-collecting, and shooting can be a hobby, no one said a website was a hobby.

No one said anything about your opinion, and no one cares that you think disagreeing with it is fine. No one even said your opinion was wrong.

The question was what would you do to fix all the complaints you said epitomized your lamentations.

My point stands....if you have no answers, you've offered nothing and are a whiner. I'm probably older than you, so I don't need you to tell me again it's okay if I don't agree with you. I also don't need a hug.

But thanks.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm trying to get you to say what changes you think should be made after you started a thread about changes needing to be made.

Changing ownership does nothing unless you change the dynamics of the site.

I hope you have a great night.

Last edited by NWGunner; 09-11-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added 2nd to Last Line

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mmalleck View Post
    Here's my history from new user to today:

Came here for the classifieds. Never went anywhere else on the forum.
    Then I got a Platinum membership and noticed something funny in my browser - chat shit in the lower right corner.
    Clicked on chat, joined the conversation, met some great people, and laughed my ass off daily - also got great links to deals on this site and other sites
    Chat software broke frequently, then was replaced - not compatible with a lot of mobile devices
    594 kicked in
    Chat users fell down to nothing, I hung in for several months often being the only person in chat, then I stopped even checking chat
    I still pay my Platinum membership fee to support the site, but I'm back to just checking classifieds that don't change much

For me the progression was: finding deals, making friends, admiration for the good people here, being entertained by this community, then deals became harder to find, and finally losing touch with the friends I made here...
    Feel the same way sir. But things can still get better.

Quote Originally Posted by JVK View Post
    Without directing this at anyone in particular...

There's a lot of work that needs to be done & fixes aren't going to churn out results over night.

To be blunt, I'm not convinced this site can recover while remaining under its current ownership.

- Sorry to sound like such a dick.
    Without directing towards anyone is kinda vague and can encompass all of us here. I'd think that sharing concerns with members are a good idea and can create dialogue. However, if you got beef with someone, then it should be in a PM.

And you're right, fixes aren't going to turn things around overnight. When something new is created, it has to be tried and tested to become better. You don't get a grand slam off of the main idea. And so far, I think Norm has done pretty good so far. We have had hiccups, but that doesn't mean this forum is dead.

And to reply bluntly, let's not forget WHO owns this site. The current ownership can do whatever he wants and charge whatever he wants. And as long as there are good people on SGN who enjoy the service, they will pay for it. That's a free market sir. And if you don't like the site, start one of your own. But if you plan to stay, help make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
    My criticisms aside, I appreciate the site and believe the ownership and the way it's run is good. It just needs the tweaking mentioned on this thread. I've been coming here for a minute and have enjoyed my time here, insults aside.
    +1

Feedback Score
    75 (100%)

I just want to know about the trolls with thousands of posts. Sounds more like a mole that needs to be hunted down.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams to Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts 1798