Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: This Forum..

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Re: This Forum..

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisWR View Post
    I just want to know about the trolls with thousands of posts. Sounds more like a mole that needs to be hunted down.
    I actually refer to them as gerbils. More Richard Gere friendly if you get my meaning

Washington CPL.
    If Elmer Fudd had hair, he would definitely be a ginger.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jmathisn View Post
    I actually refer to them as gerbils. More Richard Gere friendly if you get my meaning
    You mean always up in your business end? Name names.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE GUNS, THEN DON'T OWN ONE.
    45 + rating, so between that and my CPL, you can't trust me, thanks to I-594! Thanks WA state.

Feedback Score
    118 (100%)

All I can say is that nothing is going to get better by slinging personal attacks at each other. Everybody's idea of what this forum could or should be is a little different.
    Norm, if I can make a suggestion: Why don't we form a "steering committee" with some folks nominated by users to help guide the resurrection of the site? That would be the best way, that I can think of, to incorporate ideas from different opinions and hopefully include as many views as possible. This will help the site appeal to the widest range of members.

I think that some folks need to step up and volunteer to:
    *man a booth at local gun shows. (need to alternate as only 2 per year for non-ffl at WAC)
    *organize some community events (cleanups, friendly shooting competitions, shooting classes, basic gun repair & building classes, bbqs, etc.). Stuff that members will enjoy and benefit/learn from and hopefully give them a chance to meet other members and even boost membership.
    *explore new ways to promote the site and boost the number of *active members
    *perhaps have a standing meeting, once per month or quarter, where the "steering committee" get together and try to proactively resolve problems and make plans.

We are all busy and have our own lives to worry about, but I think if at least a handful of us can commit to donating a little time, it would make a HUGE difference in this site's membership, and morale. I am in the final stages of buying a new home and I know I will be busy as a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest with projects, but I for one, an willing to volunteer to help wherever I can. I can help at gunshows, I can help with organizing events, etc.

I have met some great people since becoming a member. I have learned a LOT here from you guys. I have shared lots of laughs and had some really good times. I hope that doesn't come to a halt because we can't manage to get our shit together and make this work again. Nothing worth doing is easy and I think this is worth doing.

my .02

Beware the guise of security, for it is temporary and false and true intentions will become transparent once your freedoms have been stripped....

Expert Marksman
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I hesitated in writing this post because I have a sneaking suspicion my comments will not be well-received.

The hypothesis: It might be worthwhile to tone-down the "liberals suck" rhetoric.

Reasoning: In case you haven't noticed, we live in a city (of the forum's namesake, no less) of approximately 3.61M people - the fastest-growing city in the US. A great deal of those people are non-white, non-conservatives. A great deal of those people are also gun owners. (I know! Crazy, right!?!) Many, if not most are well-educated, tech-savvy, often traveled, and sometimes pretty well compensated. They enjoy owning, shooting, buying and selling guns.

The problem arises when they arrive here to look for (or even sell!) a firearm, ammunition, parts, etc., they are inundated with a barrage of imagery or comments that may appeal to their enthusiast-side, are certainly not in line with their social or political side. It takes all of 5 minutes of looking around to determine that the vast majority of people here blame liberals, Obama, Holder, Clinton, blacks, immigrants, 594, Starbucks, "the welfare state," taxes, etc., for all or most of society's ills.

Now, I am not saying that people are not entitled to their political opinions. I know that many of my firearms-related opinions have certainly been swayed after spending some time around here - which should be seen as a success story for SGN. But at some point, you have to consider why your audience is leaving. Do you want to lose potential classifieds and memberships to maintain the Good Ol' Boys Club? That's not my decision to make. But you have to wonder its effect on traffic.

As others have mentioned, trolls will be trolls, and after the apocalypse, they will be the only thing left along with the cockroaches. But they are usually easy to detect, and if they are not actively contributing to the site (classifieds, etc.) and just picking fights, they are just as easily suspended or banned.

Solution? I dunno. Maybe a moratorium on political-themed avatars, taglines, signatures, etc.? Who knows if that will work, but it might get people to stick around long enough to get involved a little instead of just bolting for the door. [Cue cries of "OH NOES!!! THE PC POLICE!!"] I don't know how many new unique visitors this site gets per month, so maybe it won't make a difference at all. I do know I've seen items I would like to buy here, but I decide not to because the seller comes across as an asshole and so I say "fuck it" and take my business to TOS or just buy it retail. That's a loss for SGN. (I've also bought things from those people, too. Usually because it was a good deal and I have a thick skin)

Obviously, just my opinion, and I don't make the rules around here, so that's all it will be. But when you're declining traffic in a growing populous, and in a (relatively) gun-friendly state, you have to look at all the factors. As the metro area continues to grow, it will bring more gun owners and enthusiasts with it. If we want a bigger selection of shiny toys to play with, buy, sell, trade, etc., we might want to be a little more open to the types of people who walk through the door. Even if they're liberals.

Other than that, I have no other suggestions. This place is run pretty admirably and decently by me.

I'll curl up over here in the corner and let you bash me for a while, now....

Feedback Score
    62 (98%)

Jesus ... What is the obsession with trolls, and damning them straight to hell? You guys make trolls out to be the worst thing since hitler. Seriously, who cares that much? You're calling the kettle black if you're bitching about trolls in this thread. In fact, just about everyone in this thread who has made a complaint regarding pesky trolls (minus yellow dart, because I can't remember any of his posts), has at one point been, or currently is a troll themselves. Let's stop playing the holier-than-though act and just keep it real here.

Last edited by brownsalamander; 09-11-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    " still got your Uzi? I've got a beautiful very valuable Sumatran blood python baby full of color and an enclosure. Any interest in a trade?"

Expert Marksman
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brownsalamander View Post
    Jesus ... What is you guys obsessions with trolls, and damning them to hell? You all make trolls out to be worse than hitler.Seriously, who cares that much? It's kind of calling the kettle black by some members here. In fact, just about everyone in the thread who has made a comment regarding pesky trolls (minus yellow dart, because I can't remember any of his posts), has at one point been, or currently is a troll themselves.Let's stop playing the holier-than-though act and keep it real here.
    I can agitate a little when I've been drinkin.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

All of this is normal operating bullshit that runs in a forum open to the public. In my experience here I have met some great folks, and learned and shared a lot of good information. I used to check the sight several times a day, then 594 comes along and our second amendment rights are trampled. My/our right to trade freely among ourselves as American citizens has been infringed. Nobody wants to trade if it is going to cost both parties ffl charges. No more deals = much less interest.
    Our little group has been chosen to be discriminated against without good reason or due process. We have become victims in the war against America's liberty. And my question is why is the government is turning Americans against Americans. First word of the name of this place we live is United, that is correct "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" United we stand

Feedback Score
    62 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
    I can agitate a little when I've been drinkin.
    lol, don't we wall? It's all in good fun :)

" still got your Uzi? I've got a beautiful very valuable Sumatran blood python baby full of color and an enclosure. Any interest in a trade?"

Marksman
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What is TOS?

Puyallup, where kids kill kids with frying pans
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The pay to play has to go, lots of people that sold alot left because of it. Pull more money from adverts, I know nothing about that so I'm of no help there. It would be very hard to get more businesses to pay for adverts with how little traffic this site gets. Honestly this conversation should have happened when the site started slowing down, not when it barely has the pulse that it did before. Why pay here when you can to to other local sites for free and donate if you want to? Sadly it's too little too late. I used to be on here all the time, now I'd be surprised if I make 10 posts a month now, and I've gone a weeks without coming here just so I have something to read to burn up 5 minutes

Last edited by mediumrarechicken; 09-11-2015 at 12:44 PM.