Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: On This Day in Firearms History

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Re: On This Day in Firearms History

July 17th

in 1585, The English secret service discovers Anthony Babington's murder plot against Queen Elizabeth I

in 1863, Battle of Honey Springs - largest battle in Indian Territory

in 1881, at the age of 77, Mountain Man Jim Bridger dies

in 1898, Spanish American War - Spaniards surrender to US at Santiago Cuba

in 1917, British Royal family changes its name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor

in 1918, The Russian Imperial Romanov family of Tsar Nicolas II were executed by communists

in 1936, Spanish generals Francisco Franco and Emilio Mola lead a right-wing uprising, starting the Spanish Civil War

in 1944, 2 ammunition ships explode at Port Chicago, California killing 322

in 1945, Potsdam Conference (Truman, Stalin, Churchill) holds 1st meeting

in 1955, Disneyland televises its grand opening in Anaheim, California.

in 1970, Kahr arms owner/founder, Justin Moon is born

in 1980, Ronald Reagan, formally accepts Republican nomination for US president

in 1981, Lobby Walkways at Kansas City's Hyatt Regency collapse 114 die, 200 injured

in 1996, TWA Flight 800: Off the coast of Long Island, New York, a Paris-bound TWA Boeing 747 explodes, killing all 230 on board.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

view my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

July 18th

in 1716, Decree orders all Jews expelled from Brussels

in 1768, The Boston Gazette publishes "Liberty Song", America's 1st patriotic song

in 1861, US Civil War: Battle of Blackburn's Ford, VA

in 1862, US Civil War: Battle of Newburgh, IN - captured by Union forces

in 1872, The Ballot Act introduces the secret ballot in elections in Britain;previously votes were made openly.

in 1915, WWI: 2nd Battle of Isonzo begins & ends with loss of 280,000 men

in 1918, WWI: US & French forces launch Aisne-Marne offensive

in 1925, Adolph Hitler publishes Mein Kampf (original title was the catchy "Four and a Half Years (of Struggle) Against Lies, Stupidity and Cowardice")

in 1944, WWII: Allies air raid railways at Vaires Paris; British troops occupy Bourquebus hill range, Normandy; US troops march into St Lo

in 1969, The movie "The Wild Bunch" is released in theaters

in 1980, The movie "The Big Red One" is released in theaters

in 2013, Detroit, Michigan, files for bankruptcy to become the largest US municipal bankruptcy at $18.5 Billion

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

July 19th

in 1524, Peasants' War begins in Germany's Black Forest

in 1551, Treaty of Karlsburg: Arch Duke Ferdinand I of Austria recognized as king of Hungary/Transylvania

in 1692, 5 more people are hanged for witchcraft (20 in all) in Salem Mass

in 1814, gun maker Samuel Colt is born in Hartford, CT

in 1862, US Civil War: Battle of Buffington's Island (St George Creek), Ohio

in 1867, US Congress passed 3rd Reconstruction Act over Democrat President Andrew Johnson's veto

in 1879, Doc Holliday kills for the first time after a man shoots up his New Mexico saloon.

in 1929, gun maker Gaston Glock is born in Vienna, Austria

in 1940, WWII, Hitler orders Great Britain to surrender; Nazi occupiers imprison 231 prominent Dutch citizens in Buchenwald

in 1941, WWII: 1st US Army flying school for black cadets dedicated in Tuskegee, AL

in 1943, WWII: 500 Allied planes bomb Rome

in 1944, WWII: Japanese aircraft carriers Taiho & Shokaku are sunk by the US Navy in the Battle of the Philippine Sea, The Shokaku participated in attack on the Pearl Harbor

in 1969, Apollo 11 reaches Lunar orbit

in 1985, Christa McAuliffe chosen 1st school teacher to fly space shuttle

in 1989, United Airlines DC-10 crashes at Sioux City Iowa, 111 of the 296 on board are killed

in 1994, 1st game ever canceled at Seattle Kingdome (falling tiles)

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

July 20th

in 1738, North America: French explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes et de la Vérendrye reaches the western shore of Lake Michigan.

in 1864, US Civil War: Battle of Peachtree Creek-Atlanta Campaign

in 1871, British Columbia joins the confederation of Canada

in 1881, Sioux Indian Chief Sitting Bull, surrenders to US federal troops

in 1911, Generals Henry Wilson & Auguste Dubail sign plan for British Expeditionary army in case of war with Germany

in 1917, WW I draft lottery held; #258 is 1st number drawn

in 1918, World War I: German troops cross the Marne.

in 1932, In Washington, D.C., police fire tear gas on World War I veterans part of the Bonus Expeditionary Force who attempt to march to the White House.

in 1942, 1st detachment of Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, begin basic training

in 1944, WWII: General Eisenhower visits Montgomery's headquarter in Normandy; Japanese aircraft carrier Hijo sunk by US air attack; US invades Japanese-occupied Guam; Adolph Hitler survives an assassination attempt led by Germany army officer Claus Von Stauffenberg.

in 1948, Gun writer & Police Officer Massad Ayoob is born

in 1960, USSR recovered 2 dogs; 1st living organisms to return from space

in 1969, Americans Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin become the 1st humans to set foot on the Moon.

in 1973, The US Senate passes the War Powers Act.

in 1977, The Central Intelligence Agency releases documents under the Freedom of Information Act revealing it had engaged in mind control experiments.

in 2012, 12 people are killed and 59 injured after a gunman opens fire at a Dark Knight movie premier in Aurora, Colorado,

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I remember Neil Armstrong's walk on this day in '69

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jukk0u View Post
    I remember Neil Armstrong's walk on this day in '69
    I don't as it was almost exactly 40 week later that I was born