Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what do we do about the sky high rents in seattle?

Ranger

So what do we do about the sky high rents in seattle?

I've always wanted to create this post and the other post about portland micro-homes gave me a little kick.

First let me say I have a simple solution, LEAVE SEATTLE, that's my solution.

Now back to the rest of humanity living in seattle, what's to be done about the insane rent hikes? My own rent went from about $900 or $950, or if you want to go back four years, $750, now to nearly $2000 a month for a little shit apartment in a shit section of seattle where the view is the back lots of some crappy businesses. All the tenants were working class, all had to leave, except for two, they just piled in and live four people to a two bedroom apartment, as a matter of fact all one and two bedroom apartments are stuffed with people in order to afford the outrageous rents.

So, what do we do? Homelessness in seattle is at crisis levels and it is no longer just drug addicts and such who are homeless anymore.

This is a funny issue, because my libtarded friends are all over the map on this. Libtards say people's HEALTH, as in healthcare, should not be subject to the "free market economy" and some constraints are needed. The odd thing is, having a roof over your head and not sleeping on a sidewalk also has a big effect on people's HEALTH, yet my same libtarded friends want housing, rents, and such to be "free market economies" with no constraints such as yearly rent caps, like 7% a year max rate hikes as I once thought we had in seattle, but we don't.

I wonder not wanting constraints on rents has anything to do with my libtarded friends owning nearly a million dollars of real estate in one case, and the other having a few rental properties worth even more.

Me, I don't believe in rent control as we have in New York, but I do believe a simple yearly rent cap may not be a bad idea, or maybe some other solution...

Now before anyone goes all nuclear on me, remember, many of you, most of you were awfully pissed off when the "free market economy" took over with the gun ban scare of 2013 and prices on guns, like rents on apartments, DOUBLED. You done lost your minds and the mods had to step in over the anger you all expressed, and rightfully expressed because it sucked being gouged.

So before you go all "free market economy" and "whatever the market will bear" on me, remember you didn't like it much when "whatever the market will bear" took control of prices on ammo, guns, and magazines.

So anyway, what is to be done, IF ANYTHING, about insanely rising rents in seattle? Just curious to hear your thoughts.

Me, as stated, my solution is simple, leave seattle. But one day this won't be an option, we're gonna run out of land one day. Me, maybe it's the commie in me, but I don't believe anyone should be able to buy up all the houses and apartment buildings they can, buy up thousands to millions of units, corner the market, and then bleed the life out of people for a simple roof over their heads.

Call me kooky but like opportunists gouging people on guns, magazines, and ammo, it just seems a little fucked up when they do likewise for a roof over your head.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by Tod; 03-18-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Re: So what do we do about the sky high rents in seattle?

Rent control, sans typical big city corruption, reduces the number of units on the market. It is stupid to subject ones
    property to wear and tear, as well as outright vandalism, at a rental rate that generates a gross loss. The only
    answer is to find a more palatable market, whilst the rental owners abandon their properties, or upgrade to lofts and
    sell at ridiculous prices. This sort of statist market intervention always creates instabilities that depress investment
    incentive.
    “The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." Robert Heinlein

Kirkland. All future transactions will occur before 12/4/2014

maybe you could get a roommate Tod?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/sha/6041916702.html

Really, though, part of the problem is the "new economy" jobs/wages being out of synch with what "old economy" working people earn. Until equilibrium is reached, if it will ever be, housing will be problematic. I don't hold much hope there as I feel the economy is stratifying, with dramatic separations in classes, faster and faster

Another issue driving up rents is tenant/landlord laws. Profits need to be higher to offset the insane risk in renting real property. But yes, if folks (read that as "landlords") valued community as much as money, the profits and increases wouldn't go up so fast. But Capitalism is a carnivorous system.

Increasing property taxes don't help.

I groused when ammo and magazine prices went through the roof, but recognized it was the right of the vendor to try and get what they felt they could and many people would pay. My response was to stop buying. That isn't possible when the subject is housing, or at least way more difficult.

These kinds of prices are why folks are willing (or forced to) do hours-long commutes, too. But with the price of gas, and now car tabs, even that becomes tenuous and offers dwindling returns.

I'm still a fan of the free market.

Is there a solution other than an engineered economy? Price controls? Don't know.

I'm renting a nice tent downtown under I-5.
    Sometimes it helps me to sleep when I step on a needle.
    The rats under the tent simulate a nice back massage.
    5 STARS on YELP!

Quote Originally Posted by jukk0u View Post
    maybe you could get a roommate Tod?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/sha/6041916702.html

OK somebody who has Jukk0u`s number HAS to do it!!! SEND IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesu christo juk, how do you find such weird shit? Do people send it to you?

I have no idea what one could do to impact the rising rent costs other than leave the city. And I don't mean that as in a "leave and you won't have to deal with it" kinda way. I mean a bunch of people start moving elsewhere. If the demand decreases, the price of the good or service will typically respond accordingly. There may be preventing factors for rent, I don't know what the profit margin on an apartment complex is, overall that's how a free market behaves. I don't think that will happen in Seattle. The solution, if any, will likely be some kind of government intervention.

As far as a free market goes, I'm pretty much all for it. The gun scare bothered me a little, too, but if nobody could afford to pay those prices, people wouldn't have been selling shit for those prices, so obviously somebody was paying for $4000 AR's. Just because something is right doesn't mean it has to be liked.

Leave Seattle. Like yesterday. The only way to get through to these idiots is to hit them where it hurts. The pocketbook.
    Licensed/Bonded/Insured Hardwood Floor Installer/Finisher http://www.hardwoodfloorsnw.com/

I believe a lot of the problem is the amount of money pouring in from China and India.
    As a developer, these folks walk into a meeting with cash and don't care when it'll be done.
    Most buy during foundation stage with no closing date in the contract.
    We're talking $1-2mil Kirkland/ Bellevue homes.
    They will rent, whatever the cost, until they can move into there new home.
    Granted, they will probably move the entire family in. 8+ is not unusual. And they can't seem to afford furniture??

And real world careers should pay better, could you imagine working for minimum wage (even at $15)?
    I couldn't afford my car payment, let alone rent/ mortgage.
    Not all of us can get a job at Micros... , or Goo... , or Amaz.. , etc that pays 300k for a 23 yo
    Play stupid games.
    Win stupid prizes.

Kirkland. All future transactions will occur before 12/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by arisaka View Post
    Jesu christo juk, how do you find such weird shit? Do people send it to you?
    I just surf the backwaters. Sometimes I will combine two random terms on a search engine and see where it leads (it can get ugly or weird fast)

This time I just thought "renters" and went to Craigslist. Always a good source of distraction. I once found a renter on CL who wanted to relocate here from HI in order to attend school at Bastyr College up the street from my house.

A nice 19 year old lesbian and a behemoth of a woman. (Not really fat but "big boned" and really tall). Used to bring home strange women from time to time. I learned to turn the TV up pretty loud... she used to hang up all sorts of spiked collars and other "toys" and accessories in the laundry room to dry....