Thread: Wanted - Metal Lathe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wanted - Metal Lathe

I'm looking for a small hobby Metal Lathe.

Firearms, Parts and or Ammo for trade.
    Let me know what you have and what value you place on it as well as trade interests.

Thanks

Last edited by azrael_cervale; 10-12-2017 at 06:59 AM.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Wanted - Metal Lathe

I see these for sale on Craigslist all the time. You need to plan on spending at least $3500 plus accessories if you want something capable of doing barrel. Be careful about voltage and phase. House are single phase and limited to 220VAC. So if you find a 3 phase unit you will need to purchase a phase inverter, either rotary or VLM. Both will cost you and consume amperage to convert incoming to what the lathe is needing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-Charlie View Post
    I see these for sale on Craigslist all the time. You need to plan on spending at least $3500 plus accessories if you want something capable of doing barrel. Be careful about voltage and phase. House are single phase and limited to 220VAC.
    There are plenty of great lathes out there for sub $1k(I paid 1k for mine, a nice big older import, the relays were blown out when i got it) you did slightly limit your field by needing something for barrels(i'd assume) Look at old brands, stuff like south bend clausing, or hardinge. Learn what to look for, and expect mabey to have something that is a little worn out and needs little work arounds to make stuff real accurite.

Personally i have a worn out bridgeport mill knockoff that i might have overpaid for(knew it at the time too), but it was there, it's home and paid for it's self a half dozen times over in a couple years. You can rock the table in x real bad, in the middle and when it gets to the ends of travel is it tight as fuck. If i drag the brake and keep from climb cutting it makes fine parts.(btw i'm a boss at a machine shop so i do know a little) It kinda growls at high RPM's too. At some point i'll rebuild it but i'm getting my dad's real tight bridgeport first so i can remachine anything i need to make for it.

Ask around to machinists, machine shops, tool vendors, blacksmiths, hillbilly's, hoodlums, hot rodders and shop teachers, you can find lathes in the weirdest places.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ok, I've changed spacing in the original text to maybe clear things up.

I'm not looking to do any barrels, just random little projects most of which wont involve firearms or parts.
    the $500 to $1000 Lathes are my interest. Single Phase 110 or 220.
    If need be I'll sell a gun and buy one new just thought there may be a trade that would benefit a couple of us.

Thanks for the advice both of you.

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides