Thread: Please DELETE; I finally got the rebate check!

Kirkland. All future transactions will occur before 12/4/2014

Please DELETE; I finally got the rebate check!

So last month I dug into the ammo stores and used up the last of my 5.56. I went off my austerity program, against my better judgment, and purchased a measly 420 rounds of Federal from TargetSportsUSA because it offered a rebate (also against my better judgement because rebates are LIES)

Fast forward to recieving the ammo... I rushed to the rebate website and entered the UPC # off the ammo can only to find that, even though advertised by TargetSportsUSA as having a "rebate available" the UPC # on my can did not match the ones on the extensive list of eligible UPC #'s. You fill out the form online and it immediately shows that the "product code entered is not valid".

I contacted TargetSportsUSA and have been going round and round with them.

I tried to use the "Ask a question" option on the item's webpage. There was another customer who was in the same situation. The TargetSportsUSA customer service agent helping him tried to get his UPC number to work online. Having no success they advised him to "just mail it in and see if it works". We all know how that is going to pan out.

So I started my own line of questioning about the product and rebate stating the ammo I received had the same problem and how were they going to address this in a more proactive fashion?

First they tried: "the rebate is offered from Federal, not TargetSportsUSA" (hereafter refered to as TS)

to which I replied: "Yes but TS ADVERTISED the product as having a rebate, so TS does have responsibility."

Then they had me scan the label and the customer service agent, SAM, fatuously said he was able to match it up with one from the list.

BUT the UPC on the list, while matching in description, quantity and etc is ONE digit off from the ammo I received. Since Federal requires the receipt of the original UPC label, I knew I couldn't "fudge" the online form and expect to receive the rebate once the label proved the mismatch

(eligible UPC: 029465563189
    UPC I got: 029465063189 )

Next, Sam said he would contact Federal. I allowed a respectable amount of time for him to do so (a week) and then inquired again. "Still no answer", said Sam.

So, again I allowed some time and renewed my request for an update to which he responded: "Nobody else is having a problem with the rebate".

So I slapped Sam down again and repeated that others have in fact had problems but were advised to just send it in and hope it works, as detailed in the Q&A section, but that that wouldn't fly with me. I want answers. I asked if he really had contacted Federal or if he was hoping this would just "go away"? I encouraged him to go to the rebate website and try himself, which he has promised to do...

more news at 11...

He promised he was going to try entering the number online himself.

UPDATE: he said he tried it and it worked!! BUT he once again had entered the number from the list and not from the label scan I had sent to him.

I replied that he made the same error he made last week...

UPDATE #2:
    While I tried to get TS to do the leg work, I finally contacted Federal about the issue.]

Jalen said, "just enter the number on the rebate list as the discrepancy in number is that one is the individual ammo can, and the other is for the case"

So I asked that even though they will see the different bar code when the rebate is processed it will still go through the process without a hitch? Jalen said it would.

So, I have documented the call and the Federal Ammo customer service agent's name, date and time of the call and will send it in.

Until then, I will continue to brow beat "Sam" until he gets off his ass and calls Federal himself to find out the information.
    Last edited by jukk0u; 01-16-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Re: Battling Goliath: a Rebate Saga

http://www.gunbot.net is my only way to go finding deals on ammo.
    Who's gonna monitor the monitors of the monitors?

Hey Jim, if I give you half my refund, will you do the leg work for me towards getting my rebate? I think I'm almost at 100 rounds which would make me eligible, right? Thanks, I've got some sleeping to catch up on.

Seriously though, what a racket. I never count on those horseshit rebate promises.

Ps. Thinking about heading up to MRC tomorrow if I get properly relieved in the morning. I have to sight in the irons on my latest AR pistol build and I'm very generous with my 556.
    Last edited by old11bravo; 10-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Well, if Lt. NoShow makes it to work, send me a text and I'll see if I can get free in time to join you.

Jedi Knight

This sounds serious. Robert Mueller's team can get on this after they finish what they are working on.

Ranger

If you paid by credit card dispute the charge. If the rebate isn't still showing on TS's website then show the CC company your communications thus far with TS. Ask them to charge back the amount of the rebate or the whole thing. If the CC balks tell them TS sent you something other than advertised.

I like TS, but this time I have to say "fuck'em"

Quote Originally Posted by stompah View Post
    If you paid by credit card dispute the charge. If the rebate isn't still showing on TS's website then show the CC company your communications thus far with TS. Ask them to charge back the amount of the rebate or the whole thing. If the CC balks tell them TS sent you something other than advertised.

I like TS, but this time I have to say "fuck'em"
    I like this option. I've only disputed two charges, but both times the CC company (one was Chase for $60, the other was AMX for $200) was all too happy to credit back my account. They make money hand over fist on CC transactions. They're all too happy to credit the account, even if they don't stand a chance of getting THEIR money back from the vendor. They know they'll make that money back in no time if they keep you a happy customer.

UPDATE: I received an email showing that they have cut the check and it's in the mail (email even allowed me to check and the link shows the check number)
    Last edited by jukk0u; 01-12-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Sweet, glad you got it worked out. I've never had problems with TS.
    Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety

Re: Please DELETE; I finally got the rebate check!

Received the rebate check today!